Havoline Pro-DS 5w30 -- 9,044 mi -- 2014 Mazda 3 with 2.0L

@SubieRubyRoo — I plan on using up my stash of random oils I’ve been hoarding FOR YEARS from autozone clearance from many many years back and then switch to Chevron as I like the convenient to me packing (the 6qt box) so the data I’m gathering about this oil from my own real world worst case use is valuable to me. I plan to only stock a 3-5 boxes of various viscosity for all the vehicles I service on the side, as a hobby (friends and family).

I just wanted to test this oil to the max to see how it holds up. I want to safely do 10k mile intervals on engines that spec that.

@SubieRubyRoo — I plan on using up my stash of random oils I’ve been hoarding FOR YEARS from autozone clearance from many many years back and then switch to Chevron as I like the convenient to me packing (the 6qt box) so the data I’m gathering about this oil from my own real world worst case use is valuable to me. I plan to only stock a 3-5 boxes of various viscosity for all the vehicles I service on the side, as a hobby (friends and family).

I just wanted to test this oil to the max to see how it holds up. I want to safely do 10k mile intervals on engines that spec that.
I use 0w30 euro oil in my 2.0 mazda skyactiv as well, but 5w30 is not the spec for that engine in USA/Can, 0w20 is.

@tcp71 — 5w30 is the magical blend that works in basically ALL engines on the street as a daily driver. You’re free to 0w20 to your hearts’ desire. I think there’s less valve chatter with the ever so slightly thicker stuff. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve posted good UOA with both.

Cool, Artem. Knew you probably had your reasons, but for the average passerby it may seem confusing with so many UOAs in a short mileage timeframe. I've got a shelf full of random oils as well, some that are certified for my engines and some that are not. Usually for those, I just cut the OCI down to 5-6k and let 'em rip. I've passed my personal UOA itch, and usually just do one on a new-to-me vehicle and every few years just to check in on it.

@SubieRubyRoo — my last UOA on this engine was in 2018 at 75k miles (now past 110k) so it’s been a few years.

My previous OCIs with this engine have been 3-4K miles @ 50-60% oil life left. This is the first time I’ve ran it to 15% (still wanted to go longer and push PAST 10k but had the itch to OC it and examine the internals of the OEM Tiny oil filter.

Artem- I don't know if your app is the same, the 2.0 in my 2020 Transit Connect uses a XG3614, but I found that just as on my Ford Fusion with the 2.5 Mazda, an XG3600 fits just fine and still fits under the factory splash guard. Just a thought...

@SubieRubyRoo — I’m afraid to run anything other then the factory filter on the Skyactiv engine. Back when it was released, Mazda quickly issued a TSB to all dealer warning them to not install any other filter on the Skyactiv or else issues “may” arise from improper oil pressure, etc etc. dealers were installing the same oil filter on all the Skyactiv engines thinking they’re the same (1.5L, 2.0L, 2.5L) but they clearly aren’t.

I’ve been running the OEM filter since new and just recently decided to try the WIX after seeing that they purposely designed a filter just for the Skyactiv block (bypass pressure spec and no anti drain back valve).

I’d rather not risk it. I see no reason for a bigger filter anyway. My engine is spotless and barely shows any metal in the UOA. I think I’m good. 😎

Reactions: FZ1
Cool, cool. I never had a SkyActiv, but I saw you had made a post about the tiny oil filter. I'm guessing from the sounds of it now that it's even smaller than a 3614!

Here is a video from Whip City Wrencher. Funny, he measures everything about this filter except for its overall dimensions but you can tell from his handling how tiny this filter is. It’s the smallest filter I’ve ever dealt with.

Ah, yes. This is a Fram 6607 equivalent. IIRC this is actually the size that was spec'd on my 2007 Subaru Impreza. I agree, the filter is super, super tiny. Almost like an afterthought, but obviously it works. On the Subie it's such a small filter size because they wrapped the header around the oil filter mount like a boa constrictor. In this case the XG3593A (or XG7317/Wix 7055 if you prefer a slimmer model) does fit, although it absolutely requires an end-cap filter wrench because not even a tiny hand has enough room to grip the filter.

In the case of the Mazda, I highly doubt the exhaust is like a Boxer, so, room dependent, I think this would fit as long as the mount has a large enough diameter to seal. I'd imagine the 3593 has double the media and double the oil capacity. Just for reference of course :cool:

Back