Havoline Pro-DS 5w30 -- 9,044 mi -- 2014 Mazda 3 with 2.0L

I think the reason Blackstone didn't infer any fuel was that 390F was above their 385F "trigger". i also suspect a retest would have given a lower flashpoint.

I've come to the conclusion my nose and a blotter are more accurate at spotting fuel dilution than Blackstone.
But OP said his nose didn't detect the smell of fuel in the sample. On the other hand, if 4.6 is accurate, then the smell should have been easily detected. So while we know Blackstone is usually low on that measurement, it appears Oil Analyzers might be high. Unless OP had asymptomatic Covid and lost his sense of smell without realizing it. ;)

But OP said his nose didn't detect the smell of fuel in the sample. On the other hand, if 4.6 is accurate, then the smell should have been easily detected. So while we know Blackstone is usually low on that measurement, it appears Oil Analyzers might be high. Unless OP had asymptomatic Covid and lost his sense of smell without realizing it. ;)
On the Honda 1.5T's that I service, I rarely smell fuel in the used oil. But we all know **** well that there is probably 5% (or more) on those engines.

I didn't smell fuel in my M5's oil and it had 5% fuel (with the corresponding viscosity loss). I think it's safe to conclude that GC is going to be significantly more accurate than somebody's "sniffer".

Not disagreeing, just stating that in my samples that had a GC measurement around 2% the smell was easily noticed. These were relatively short run time and low oil temp race engines. Is it possible that with more time and oil temp the lighter aromatics would burn off eliminating the smell?

Not disagreeing, just stating that in my samples that had a GC measurement around 2% the smell was easily noticed. These were relatively short run time and low oil temp race engines. Is it possible that with more time and oil temp the lighter aromatics would burn off eliminating the smell?
I think you've got a solid theory there. My 5% figure was on a fill that was in the sump for around 7,500 miles or so.

I think you've got a solid theory there. My 5% figure was on a fill that was in the sump for around 7,500 miles or so.

My Mazda RX-8’s Rotary Engine’s oil would REAK of fuel and nasty unburnt exhaust smells but show 0.5% on my blackstone report. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Smell isn’t the tell all, after all. Lol.

Last edited:
My Mazda RX-8’s Rotary Engine’s oil would REAK of fuel and nasty unburnt exhaust smells but show 0.5% on my blackstone report. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Smell isn’t the tell all, after all. Lol.
Would have loved to see what that would have shown from a lab that does GC, lol.

Unquestionably. Even a blind chimp throwing darts is more accurate than BSlabs.
I think it's fair to make sure we're accurate in our accusations, because that's a pretty sharp dart that's behing hurled.

If you're referring to their ability to report a true fuel dilution value, I'd tend to agree. I think their method could be improved upon.
If you're speaking to their overall ability to process a UOA, i.e. wear metals or vis, then I'm going to vehemently disagree.

Thanks for the tip - I was not even aware of this offering until you mentioned it.

This appears to be an "ultra-premium" offering that is positioned above their current ProDS. I think they are employing a strategy that is similar to Valvoline's Extended Protection.

View attachment 92639
I really can't see how the new RS could protect any better than their DS synthetic...I'm thinking they are trying to attract the environmental type customers (and charging more $$ for that attraction).

I really can't see how the new RS could protect any better than their DS synthetic...I'm thinking they are trying to attract the environmental type customers (and charging more $$ for that attraction).

Is the RS line more expensive? I haven’t seen any at Walmart yet, so I can’t judge 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is the RS line more expensive? I haven’t seen any at Walmart yet, so I can’t judge 🤷🏻‍♂️
In the ad for the new RS line that 'The Critic' posted earlier in this thread it states "Customers expect to pay more for products that outperform others etc.." so I'm assuming that Chevron plans to charge more for this product based on that statement.

Valvoline has the same product line-up with their Advanced Synthetic vs Extended Protection.

Valvoline has the same product line-up with their Advanced Synthetic vs Extended Protection.

The EP is only $2-3 more than the Advanced which is not a deal breaker. It will be interesting to see how Chevron prices this Pro RS and how available it will be. So far I have only seen references to it being sold via Walmart.com and if that is the case I doubt it would sell very well. It needs to be on shelves and advertised.

The EP is only $2-3 more than the Advanced which is not a deal breaker. It will be interesting to see how Chevron prices this Pro RS and how available it will be. So far I have only seen references to it being sold via Walmart.com and if that is the case I doubt it would sell very well. It needs to be on shelves and advertised.

Is the ProDS really a hot seller for them? I’ve NEVER seen it on any shelves in Florida auto parts stores. Only ChinaMart. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m guessing they do the majority of their sales in the quick lube places.

Even if the RS line performs the same as DS, I’d buy it just cause it’s eco. 🫣😅

Is the ProDS really a hot seller for them? I’ve NEVER seen it on any shelves in Florida auto parts stores. Only ChinaMart. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m guessing they do the majority of their sales in the quick lube places.

Even if the RS line performs the same as DS, I’d buy it just cause it’s eco. 🫣😅

Walmart has been stocking the Havoline boxes in the Wally’s near me but I would tend to agree, their sales are geared more towards other sectors.

Walmart has been stocking the Havoline boxes in the Wally’s near me but I would tend to agree, their sales are geared more towards other sectors.
Hmmmm. Mine are always empty with a single jug or two at best.

The 5w30 that I tend to purchase is always out of stock / and or last 4 available and I buy them out. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😆😜😎

Thanks for the UOA.

Can I ask a question though (acknowledging you can obviously do whatever you want)? From just the Blackstone testing, I'm seeing that you spent nearly $160 analyzing a 10k OCI on an oil that you can get 6 quarts of for $19.99?

What, would you say, did you gain from doing this testing and not just following the OLM? Thanks.

Back