Havoline Pro-DS 5w30 -- 7,540 mi -- 2014 Mazda 3 with 2.0L

It seems to work well with the engine which originally specs 0w20 but I can’t say that I found my go to oil due to the shearing that seems to be taking place. I’m not too impressed with that. 😒😤 I want it to stay in grade, **** it. Is that too much to ask for?! 🤬

I do have the option to set my own OCI in the maintenance reminder system, instead of the “flexible” setting which takes into account operating conditions. It was showing 30% left when I pulled this sample, so there’s still oil life left, if I trust Mazda with my whole heart. I’m gonna push it and see how it looks.
Agree it sheared, but it was still 8.86 vis at time of change, higher vis than your other oils, and it showed no fuel dilution so it seems pretty good in your ride. But each of us have a preference as to which oil feels best, runs best, is quietest, is smoothest, etc., in our rides. That's the fun of being a bob is the oil guy person.

Agree it sheared, but it was still 8.86 vis at time of change, higher vis than your other oils, and it showed no fuel dilution so it seems pretty good in your ride. But each of us have a preference as to which oil feels best, runs best, is quietest, is smoothest, etc., in our rides. That's the fun of being a bob is the oil guy person.

Yea but the previous oils from the 2018 samples were 0w20 Idimitsu and this is a 5w30. I want it THICKER. Shearing = Baaaaaad.

I’ve tried a bunch of oils over the past 8 years with this engine. It doesn’t seem to give a rats-ass about what I use. I’ve tried 0w20, 0w30, 5w30, even 0w40. Performs the same. Same MPG average. It’s a good engine.

Yea but the previous oils from the 2018 samples were 0w20 Idimitsu and this is a 5w30. I want it THICKER. Shearing = Baaaaaad.

I’ve tried a bunch of oils over the past 8 years with this engine. It doesn’t seem to give a rats-ass about what I use. I’ve tried 0w20, 0w30, 5w30, even 0w40. Performs the same. Same MPG average. It’s a good engine.
Lol. I agree it's a good engine and I concluded that the previous oils were 20w because of their lower viscosities. I just would not want my engine "pushing around" more viscosity than necessary. Jmo

Sheering = Bad? Try SAE30 Oil

Lol. I agree it's a good engine and I concluded that the previous oils were 20w because of their lower viscosities. I just would not want my engine "pushing around" more viscosity than necessary. Jmo

Agreed. I just get a fuzzy feeling with some thicker juice in between the bearings when I’m bouncing off the rev limiter vs the thinner OEM spec.

If I was just a regular Joe, driving “normally” on the streets, I’d be all over 0w20 because it’s definitely good enough… but I ask way too much from this little 2.0L and feel like I should give back a little cushion. Haha.

Agreed. I just get a fuzzy feeling with some thicker juice in between the bearings when I’m bouncing off the rev limiter vs the thinner OEM spec.

If I was just a regular Joe, driving “normally” on the streets, I’d be all over 0w20 because it’s definitely good enough… but I ask way too much from this little 2.0L and feel like I should give back a little cushion. Haha.
We know you are not "a regular Joe",,,,,you're a Smokin' Frog...........For God's Sake.......!. What I'm saying is that even the 20 w runs wore well and had adequate vis at the END of your ocis. The 30w you are now running is, 8.86, a thick 20, AFTER you "bounced it off the limiter" for 7500 miles. If you go thicker, you ain't gonna even be able to hit the redline. Jmo...... be a good frog..........here's a fly for you.

i see your point. 😏
I gotta lay off the pipe… Struggling to make sense of UOA numbers on the report. 😶‍🌫️

We’ll see how it looks at the 10k mark. 😁

It seems to work well with the engine which originally specs 0w20 but I can’t say that I found my go to oil due to the shearing that seems to be taking place. I’m not too impressed with that. 😒😤 I want it to stay in grade, **** it. Is that too much to ask for?! 🤬

I do have the option to set my own OCI in the maintenance reminder system, instead of the “flexible” setting which takes into account operating conditions. It was showing 30% left when I pulled this sample, so there’s still oil life left, if I trust Mazda with my whole heart. I’m gonna push it and see how it looks.
I always ran the spec 0W-20 Schaeffer 0W-20 in my 2014 Mazda 3 with Blackstone analysis every oil change. Always came back perfect. What made you decide to go with a 5W-30? Just curious...

I always ran the spec 0W-20 Schaeffer 0W-20 in my 2014 Mazda 3 with Blackstone analysis every oil change. Always came back perfect. What made you decide to go with a 5W-30? Just curious...
I feel like it’s the magical viscosity that works in practically all engines. Tried and true for decades upon decades while the thin stuff is still in the experimental stage with the consumer being the Guinea Pig.

This same engine specs 5w30 elsewhere in the world. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But the main reason is… I tend to push the engine quite hard on a daily basis and want a thicker layer of oil protecting vital engine parts when I’m redlining the carbon outta the engine. 😁😏😎

I recently bought 2 boxes of Havoline PRO-DS 5W-30 Full Synthetic Dexos2 at Wal-Mart just for the price. It was $19.x for 6 qt.

I Figured Chevron + "Full Synthetic" (whatever that means) + Dexos2 + API SP can't be that bad ...

good to know it's getting good report and moly too!

Back