Havoline 5W-40 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

Hi,
I just found Havoline 5W-40 Formula3 Synthetic oil today in a local Auto Zone.Is this oil a better choice than Castrol Syntec 5W-50?It's not easy finding any 5W-40 syn oil here.The price at $3.39 a quart was ok by me.Was this a good choice, or should I take it back? Help?
Ron
dunno.gif

I'm leary of any 0w-/5w-40 oils. Unless you don't mind running a 30wt oil...because that is what it will be very quick.

Isn't that lubro-moly A3 also and it still sheared down a grade in less than 4k miles. The M1 0w40 analysis sheared down as well (how do you think they achieve ECIII!)

Jason,

I used to have the same theory until I started seeing Mobil Delvac 1, 5w-40 oil analysis results. This stuff is completely shear stable - it starts out @ 15 Cst and it stays between 14.5-15.5 Cst out to 10,000-15,000 miles. Very impressive stuff!

They must get the 167 VI just from the basestock blend, or it's the most shear stable polymer system I've ever seen in 25 years.

quote:

Originally posted by Ron:
Hi,
I just found Havoline 5W-40 Formula3 Synthetic oil today in a local Auto Zone.Is this oil a better choice than Castrol Syntec 5W-50?It's not easy finding any 5W-40 syn oil here.The price at $3.39 a quart was ok by me.Was this a good choice, or should I take it back? Help?
Ron
dunno.gif

I agree with TooSlick that the Halvoline is a good oil due to the specs it meets (even tho i suspect its a groupIII not IV), but we know i has to be better than 5w-50 Syntec.
Way to wide a spread, even if the syntec was a group IV, which it isn't, I still would think 5w-50 is too large.

5w-40 is the largest spread I am comfortable with.

Fred...
smile.gif

[ November 26, 2002, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

According to the MSDS, this is a Group III oil. I would not feel comfortable running the 5w40. It's also on the low end of the 40 wt scale with a visc of 13.7@100C. Also the flash point is 432F which pales in comparison to the flash point of their 10w30 (496F). I am currently keeping the 10w30 as a backup plan for my newer cars. But as long as I can get M1 at or below $4 a qt, that is what I'll run.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
I don't know if it has much in common, but I kinda took a beating when I put Havoline 10W-30 in my car this past weekend.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000825

Rick

I think something that was not established in that thread was whether it was a Equillon Havoline or a Chevron/Texaco Havoline you changed to.
Those jugs were 17.88 for five quarts at Walmart,,the cases of 6 quarts are 23.37 so not a huge savings per quart it seems but if 5 jugs were bought it adds up I suppose.

Ron,
same thing,,on the back label who makes it ?
I would think the Chevron/Texaco to be a very good 5/40 motor oil.JMO I guess it depends on the engine you have,it's condition and how it's driven,,,same thing with all the oils because many things factor in when choosing a oil.

Here is a virgin analysis of Havoline Synthetic 5W40:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000011

I don't know if this is the Equilon or the Chevron version. However it is API SJ/SH certified as stated on the label at the time of purchase. The label does not state any API Cx rating.

I am currently using this oil in my Honda B16 engine. So far, I've only gone approx. 3000km. Knock-on-wood, suprisingly, no oil consumption from an engine that has been sitting in a crate for at least 5 years.

I'm planning on doing an oil analysis at 5000km to establish a baseline, and then switch to Delvac 1 to compare. However, I think it won't be fair because I'm currently having engine problems and I've been alternating between running 20% lean and 20% rich.

Regards,

Oz

Hi,
This Havoline 5W-40 Synthetic came in black bottles,Formula 3,API Service SJ-SH-CF-CD from Equilon/Houston.Also,a teal color marked API Service SJ-SH-CF,with Olympic sponser USA logo,from Equilon/Houston.Can I trust this oil for hot summer driving in my '99 V6 Econoline Van with 24K miles.Will it shear back too much in 5-6K.Castrol Syntec 5W-50 Blackstone analysis came back with good numbers.I can still take the stuff back to Auto Zone,and go for M1 10W-30?Thanks.
Ron
rolleyes.gif

Current ChevronTexaco Havoline Syn 5W-40 spec:
Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 meets

API Service Categories
SL/CF, SJ/CF

ACEA European Oil Sequence A3/B3

Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 is approved by

BMW Longlife-98
Mercedes Benz 229.1
Porsche
Volkswagen 502.00 and 505.00
Volvo SMB 22-3

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
I don't know if it has much in common, but I kinda took a beating when I put Havoline 10W-30 in my car this past weekend.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000825

Rick

I think something that was not established in that thread was whether it was a Equillon Havoline or a Chevron/Texaco Havoline you changed to.
Those jugs were 17.88 for five quarts at Walmart,,the cases of 6 quarts are 23.37 so not a huge savings per quart it seems but if 5 jugs were bought it adds up I suppose.

Ron,
same thing,,on the back label who makes it ?
I would think the Chevron/Texaco to be a very good 5/40 motor oil.JMO I guess it depends on the engine you have,it's condition and how it's driven,,,same thing with all the oils because many things factor in when choosing a oil.

I posted on the original thread that it is distributed by Equilon out of Houston. Regarding M1, they sell those for $28.6 a case or $4.77 a quart. Maybe they have it on sale where you live.
Rick

ps: I will be switching back to M1 when I'm done with this batch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back