Having A/C issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow no heater, don't ever see that up in the USA. Can you get to Caracas. I can't believe that you couldn't find a decent mechanic there, or how about calling Daihatsu directly for help?

That being said it does make sense that a valve or sensor is sticking or failed. I see a lot of gas bubbles in that sight glass too, that is usually indicative of a slightly low charge.

Last edited:
Even the A/C itself was an option lol. I took it somewhere and they said that there was a valve under the dash sticking open alowing the system to freeze. They also said that the system was perfectly charged. I think they were blowing smoke partway up my [censored], they might be right about the valve but I think the system is low on charge.

The mechanics here are selftaught, some are good but the majority suck and you don't want to accidently find one of those. Preventave maintenece here is unheard of in the vast majority of people. Most of the people here run only water in the cooling systems and wonder why they keep overheating and having to constantly fill the radiator. Even alot of mechanics don't trust coolant lol. Whatever.

I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership, but if I have to then i'll do it. Those [censored] won't sell a fuel filter for my car unless they install it. AW HEELL NAW.

Last edited:
In the older US systems, the sight glass should have a solid flow of refrigerant with no bubbles or visible movement... Only when the compressor cycles should you see some flow/bubbles...

The above in the older systems indicated low charge, causing the evaporator to freeze, blocking air flow through it... With system off the evaporator thaws, normal operation returns and the cycle repeats...

If it has a fresh air setting, see if you can thaw it in 5-10 minutes to restore operation...

BTW I should have mentioned the sight glass was eliminated in the US systems probably 35 years ago, so gauges were necessary after that point... I figure it was to keep the do-it-yourselfers from charging systems themselves, as charging till the bubbles disappeared was a 99.99% effective way to recharge the system...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
BTW I should have mentioned the sight glass was eliminated in the US systems probably 35 years ago, so gauges were necessary after that point... I figure it was to keep the do-it-yourselfers from charging systems themselves, as charging till the bubbles disappeared was a 99.99% effective way to recharge the system...

My 92 Accord has a sight glass...

@N7Q: You might have missed my comment about taking it to Caracas, my guess is that there has to be competent independent mechanics as well as the dealer, how far a drive is it? Seems pretty close I'd just drive to the capital and avoid the outlying amateurs.

Yes the sight glass went away in the USA when refrigerant went to R134a. But I remember the sight glass up til early 90s Hondas in the USA. And it WAS a VERY effective way to get the correct amount of Freon into the system. Even some of the techs at our dealer simply added freon and instead of focusing on the gauges they just watched the slight glass. It was always just about spot on with the correct gauge reading for a full system.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: TFB1

My 92 Accord has a sight glass...

It really makes no difference to take it to Caracas, and the drive is about 45 minutes to an hour maybe more depending on traffic.

I will flip a poo If I go to a shop and ask them to fill up the system using the sight glass method and having them not do it that way or not even filling up the system because they think I might not know [censored] about cars. I'll let them watch the guages and I'll watch the Glass lol. But still they might over fill it. [censored] I hate the mechanics here.

Let's see what happenes.

Originally Posted By: N7Quarian
It really makes no difference to take it to Caracas, and the drive is about 45 minutes to an hour maybe more depending on traffic.

I will flip a poo If I go to a shop and ask them to fill up the system using the sight glass method and having them not do it that way or not even filling up the system because they think I might not know [censored] about cars. I'll let them watch the guages and I'll watch the Glass lol. But still they might over fill it. [censored] I hate the mechanics here.

Let's see what happenes.

I don't want to take this thread too far OT but wow that is surprising that a major city like Caracas wouldn't have a better quality of mechanics. I'm shocked because supposedly from what I know it is one of the more advanced cities in South America besides Brasilia, Rio, Buenos Aires, and Santiago.

Probably prying but what has you in Venezuela if you don't mind me asking, just curious.

I was Born in Caracas but I grew up in the U.S mostly. I'm here to take care of my Mother and grandmother (94 years old) after my grandfather passed away.

I'm not saying that ALL mechanics here have their [censored] switched with their brains and Caracas might have better mechanics than Valencia but I've had moastly bad experiences with the majority of the people I used so now i'm nervious because I don't wan't to risk having a [censored] mechanic.

I do DIY's 90% of the time, oil, brakes coolant, filters etc.
But on things like the A/C which I don't know much about I get nervious. Cars here are becoming expensive and I have to maintain it as best I can.

My car as is ith worth 24k dollars. A 09 Tundra is worth 250k dollars.

Oh well atleast the gas is 12 cents a gallon for premuim lol.

Last edited:
I had the system recharged and the sight glass is crystal clear.
It isn't that much colder but that wasn't my complaint.

Let's just hope it won't freeze anymore.

Glad they did the job and didn't make anything worse. It's not just Venezuela that has a shatload of hack mechanics see my post entitled

"I'm so disgusted. Another easy job botched by shop".

It's pretty bad when you have to fear mechanics damaging multiple wheel studs just to have tires rotated.

unless it was so low part of the evaporator wasn't receiving any charge, it really should not be quite as cold... Likely whole problem was it was too cold, which is why the evap froze, not just sweated...

The reason older cars used a sight glass is because R-12 would be almost totally liquid if the charge was just right. Now with R-134a, there will always be some bubbles even if the charge is right.

Also, the reason you only saw sight glasses on some cars is because you need an expansion valve type A/C system to make it work. Orifice tube type A/C systems became more common on GM and Ford cars during the 1980s, but Chrysler kept using expansion valves. Outside the USA, many manufacturers preferred to use expansion valves, but there were cars made with orifice tubes.

Does Venezuela use R-12 or R-134A?

Screw what I said earlier. It's actually much colder then it was before.

Apparently you "stumbled" upon a mechanic that actually knew what he was doing, I don't seem to have that luck. After my car had it's tires rotated last time at the Honda dealer they had CROSS THREADED SIX studs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back