Have You Used Your Gas Grill Lately ?

We grill chicken thighs quite often, and as others have said, it's great to be able to keep stink and heat out of the house. We'll buy a tray or two of boneless/skinless thighs from Costco, put meal-sized portions in freezer bags with homemade marinade (usually souvlaki-style - shawarma seasoning is another favourite) and throw them in the freezer. The marinade does it's thing as they freeze and again as they thaw. Chicken thighs are relatively cheap, and don't dry out like breasts do. Paired with a salad, it's an easy weekday dinner.

When we moved into our new place last year, I had a natural gas heater put in the garage. While I was at it, I had the gas fitter run a line to the back deck, so now I only have to get propane tanks refilled for camping. The new grill gets a lot of use.

We'll also throw some good striploins or ribeyes into the mix every couple of weeks. Rotisserie chicken during the cooler months.

No gas grill at our house. Charcoal and wood only with the Weber kettle and offset smoker. I’ve gonna through 100lbs of charcoal so far this year and we are only in July.

We grill about 3-5 times a week. A little less this year because the wife bought an air fryer. We’ve been using it more.

My advice is find a farmer and butcher. It’s way cheaper! The price was up a little this year but not what we are seeing at the grocery store. Half a beef and a pig usually sets me back about $1,500 to $1,800 depends on the weight. That fills both my chest freezers and our fridge. I would say we get between 300 and 400 pounds of meat out of the deal. It’s hard to say for sure with hanging weight.

Just my $0.02

Mostly chicken, burgers, Italian sausage patties, sometimes pork loins, chops, etc. The grating is so corroded on my cheap propane grille that I have to use a baking sheet or foil.

I did the weber charcoal grill for years. The cons outweigh the pros with charcoal for our use.

I'm considering a propane griddle next. This one to be exact: griddle

We actually grill a lot more than we used too. We used to only do it a couple times a season back when I was growing up and stuff. Now we do it at least a few times a month. We mostly grill steaks and pops like to grill hotdogs. I won’t eat grilled hotdogs though. We also grill burgers too. We rarely do chicken we hate the cleanup but I love some good grilled chicken seasoned with the Montreal chicken seasoning. We have used mostly charcoal this year. Occasionally we will do gas. We have several propane cylinders stored at my house that are full and empty. We usually take them to Ace Hardware and get them filled. They will only do cylinders 10 years old and under though so our cylinders from the 80s and 90s we hold onto for as long as we can because they are better made lol. When those go empty we go to Kroger or the gas station and see if we can find one that old and get it as a swap. Also back during the craziness the stores didn’t want the cylinders back as exchange so they told us to keep them. Kind of strange but they said that’s what they were told to do because they have to touch the cylinders and they are close together so we said ok no complaints there that’s more to trade in or get filled later and not have to buy a new one.

I think we've slowed down mainly due to the weather. On the upside, it takes about 30 seconds for the grille to get up to temperature. 🔥

I used my gas grill last week. I made chicken breasts on my cast iron skillet.

I am grilling more than I ever have. I use the Traeger weekly. We combat the high cost of meat by shopping local. We have endless rancher friends and get our beef from them. We get prime, absolutely great beef and chickens for far less than the high density feedlot garbage at most of rhe big stores. We buy up front but its cheaper in the long run. My wife and I work our azzes off and I will not substitute anything for good food.

We got a half speckle park coming later this summer. I just did up the last rump roast the other day.

Attachments

• 20220721_173012.jpg
    20220721_173012.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 5
Using the propane grill yes, but not because of meat prices. I think I’ve used it once this year.

I use a Ninja Foodi Grill XL almost everyday. This thing cooks burgers, brats, chicken, steak, pork chops, pork loin, reheats leftover anything, etc. It also has a thermometer built in so chicken is never dry and steak always comes out perfect.

6084F124-410F-462F-AD20-A06B76538053.jpeg

Tomorrow's grilled lunch will be filet mignon, a ribeye for my wife and strip loins for the kids. Corn on the cob too.

I haven’t done it, but my neighbor says that cast iron is the only way to go with a good steak.
It's pretty good really, if compared to a gas grill. Cast iron misses a little extra crispy fat on the outside compared to a grill and I like some smoke you get from fat dripping on a grill. Charcoal is by far superior for taste, especially if you throw in some wet apple or maple or cherry wood, for some smoke... I guess you could do a cast iron pan on a charcoal grill? Never done that with steak but I guess you could get some smoke still at least?

My wife grills often. She makes an incredible steak, with a specialty of filet mignon that she butchers from tenderloins bought at Costco. Yes, the cost of meat has risen dramatically, but we have not changed our diet in response.

We did have the grille changed over to natural gas - no more propane cylinders - and that's increased the amount of grilling that she does.

She really is great at it, and I am, well, not in her league by a long shot, so, yeah, in our household, she does the grilling.

And I am merely the lucky beneficiary of her talent.
Me too, I'll do the cheap or easy grilling, but she does stuff like brisket on our weber charcoal bbq, or tandoori goat or chicken...

We grill year round. Nothing has slowed down because of prices.

Beef, chicken, and fish mainly. Might have pork a few times a year. Definitely not my favorite as I feel while it’s cooking it smells like a pig barn. Lol

I prefer charcoal, but do tend to cheat in the winter and use gas more. I actually bought a Weber kettle grill a few months ago.

Back