Have you met a woman who can really drive stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interesting in knowing what kinds of character/personality makes a woman really good at driving a stick-shift car/truck. I haven't met one yet.

In New Zealand manual transmissions outnumber autos,I've never met a woman who had ''trouble'' with a manual....My wife and daughters hate autos,but one son in law is from the US and he can't drive a manual,we have to supply him with an auto trans car.

I once knew a girl who could drive a manual transmission Honda very well. She was a very, how do you say.....dangerous type of chick. I woke up in her bed once & she was holding a knife to my neck & giggling devilishly. True story. I never did figure out why she did that.
dunno.gif

Nope. I once taought a girl how to drive stick in my college years, but, she was never good at it. I do not think my wife even bother to learn it. My co-worker says his wife claims to know it, but not very good though.

One of my closest friends can.

She can also get up before dawn with her rifle, shoot a deer, get it back to her Toyota pickup and string it up in her garage for slaughter. Venison for dinner that night. And she's cute.

Yeah, she can drive stick.

My wife learned soon after I met her. She adopted her older brother's Pinto 4 speed with the extra 500lbs of Hugh Downs "road hugging weight". What a lead baloon. She refined it on my BMW 320i, VW Rabbit Diesel, Chevette, Toyota modified chassis, Pukeout 504 wagon ..and now drives the 5spd jeep.

My son learned ..my oldest daughter had an easier time of it after she got her motorcycle (
shocked.gif
) ..but my youngest daughter can barely handle an automatic with grace
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I'm married to her. But I didn't think it a gender thing.

Same here. Back in my younger days I bought a car that was stick and told her it was here. Really an ignorant move on my part. But it did teach her to drive. Needless to say that doesn't fly. I really wanted an 01 manual stick but she chooses her own car these days-asje sjpiu;d.

Haveing grown up in Europe most girls/women can drive stick just as well as most men. Now with that said I usualy have a hard time finding anyone man or woman that drives a manual transmission with the level of mastery I think people should have. Generaly if they do not slip or drop the clutch too much and do not ride the clutch I call it good enough. I once tried to teach my wife heel/toe clutch pedal work and tried to teach her threshold brakeing/steering and gave up!

I will say this. It is usualy easier for me to teach a man due to our common usage of words. I think the difference in men and womens perceptions and use of words makes a huge difference when trying to teach. Men do have better gross motor cordanation skills in general while women have better fine motor control skills. My wife is tone deaf and she can not hear the difference in sound that the engine makes as the clutch starts to engauge and that is also a problem for her.

I also think that hydralic and really light spring pressures on modern vechils also hampers learning. My wife learned on tractors and old mechanical linkage detroit iron. I only had to refine her tech.. Their are some vechiles that I have driven that if not for the sound of the engine or the tach I would not have been able to tell that the clutch was enguageing. Cable operated clutch's are the worst as they have almost no feedback.

Good clutch story:

There is a middle age gentleman that comes into our shop to have work performed on his car. To make a long story short, he bought an RSX and blew up the clutch within 2000 miles. When asked he said he thought you had to push the gas and clutch pedal equal amounts at the same time while driving.

This is the same guy who asked for a brochure from one of the salesman and when told they didnt have any started yelling and screaming. The salesman said "Dude, calm down" to which crazy man replied "DUDE! HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF I CALL YOU A ****!(Derogatory term for a Mexican)" The funny thing is that the salesman is from India and does not look at all like a Latino.

my fiancee knows how to drive stick real well. She learned in the USVI, which has SEVERE grades, where often you have to stop and get started again.

Her sister now has her DL, and is going to buy a car... her father will only let her get an MT car so that she learns to drive it.

JMH

Heck at 48 I cant find a women,the best way to learn a stick is on ice,if you live in northern parts,go to a outside ice rink,night is best,and practice stop and go,much better for engine and drive train,,or a gravel surface with no traffic untill you ,or her get the hang of it.BL

A good friend of mine can drive a manuel with grace, she is almost as manly as I am though, we even have the same taste in women
grin.gif
My wife could if she had to, I taught her and she does awesome in a street or back road but as soon as she gets on the main road it all goes out the window.

quote:

Originally posted by sifan:
I am interesting in knowing what kinds of character/personality makes a woman really good at driving a stick-shift car/truck. I haven't met one yet.

Oilbabe can!

My ex-wife can't.

You make the call
wink.gif

BTW, Oilbabe is becoming quite the angler for Rainbow Trout as well. I doubt I'll be witnessing her using any firearms, she pretty anti gun for herself and children. She doesn't want to take anyones guns away, she simply doesn't want them around her or her kids.

My wife does quite well, but my being a mechanic at heart (if not profession) I wish she would shift a bit slower and baby the synchros. Ah, well. Love is blind.
smile.gif

My wife prefers a stick.
wink.gif
I tought her on a Rabitt I gave her. It was tough at first, but she is good now. I still educate her on the finer points, but I trust her on any car. Best way to teach is first explain what a clutch is/does and how the gears represent a speed range 10-20-30 1st, 2nd, 3rd and that the gizmo must be disengaged for the wheels to stop with the engine still running. Explaining the mechanics of the clutch is important for "understanding" it's operation. Now I don't tech the old "pull out with gas+clutch engagment", rather tell them to let the clutch out and push it back in when the car moves, it keeps them from "dumping" the clutch and then they graduate to pulling away fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back