Have you ever had to replace an engine in a car?

Do Mazda wankels count, or are they just a given? Then yes, then three engines.

Oh and one 5.0 in an 80's Mustang. I knew three people around the same time that had to replace 5.0's. I think it was just abuse but mechanic said they were seeing a number of failed oil pumps in those of the era.

I forgot the 1969 Ford Fairlane 500 sports roof tale. Duh.
This is around 1978. Car kept snapping motor mounts when you launched it hard. 428 Cobra Jet with a top loader and a 12 bolt.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's odd that it would have a GM diff in a Ford less than a decade after being built by the OEM.
What happened to the Ford 9" rear? Those are reknowned for their durability and longevity.

I have bad luck with cylinder 5 on ford modulars apparently.

Out of dumb luck, once I got my F350 home, it ate something on cylinder 5. Had to put a new engine. Truck wasn't worth a reman engine, so it got the cheapest junkyard engine I could find. When I bought the Grand Marquis, it had a cylinder 5 misfire code. Ended up having no compression on cylinder 5. Cheaper just to get another $500 junkyard engine.

Yup. The specialty in my shop was engine rebuilding...a lost art in this throwaway or junkyard LS1 swap world. last summer for grins I rebuilt the 3.0 mitsu in my lebaron j-vert cuz it leaked oil like a torpedoed tanker. cost me $600 including the head work (just TRY and find a machine shop that still does automotive! its all parts making today!) I swear to god that today I cannot find 1 out of 100 people that could name the parts I held in my hand or why we do what...kinda sad...as 'murrican as apple pie and abandoned on the wayside.

Took in our '96 Windstar 3.8 to the dealer at around 68,000 miles years ago for warranty work (timing cover gasket and something else- and I actually bought an extended Ford warranty for this van). The dealer fixed the van and the next day we headed up north (Christmas Eve morning) for the holidays with my wife's family. With only about 75 miles since the repair the van lost power and eventually stalled on the highway. Luckily there was a Ford dealer about a mile up the road but they closed at noon (this was around 11:30AM). Managed to get the van started and limped it into the shop. Turned out to be a failed head gasket and seized the lower bearings. Ford towed it back to the dealer who did the repairs and they ended up replacing the engine. The receipts showed it was about a $6500 repair. We sold the van a few months later for a 2001 Windstar which was great for the 13 years we had it.

I had a timing chain failure on a 2005 Cadillac STS with the N* going down the interstate… lots of good noises then died. I had engine replaced then sold it a few months later for less than $1k more than the engine replacement cost.. was a pretty car though

Owned.a dealership for 20 years now and I have bought a few inops along the way.

The only vehicle I bought new is still on the road 28 years later with nearly 400,000 miles on it. I don't own it anymore but it's great to know it's still around.

and inability to hold oil inside! ;-)
It seems whenever someone was building a street machine back in the day it was a 9" Ford rear end. Why would experienced hot rod builders use them if they couldn't hold oil? Just asking, not challenging.

It seems whenever someone was building a street machine back in the day it was a 9" Ford rear end. Why would experienced hot rod builders use them if they couldn't hold oil? Just asking, not challenging.
the axle end seals were hideous and the brake backing plate would always be doused. not so much for a 500 mile per year show rod but your DD had more oil on the rear brakes and it did out of the windsor rear main..

the axle end seals were hideous and the brake backing plate would always be doused. not so much for a 500 mile per year show rod but your DD had more oil on the rear brakes and it did out of the windsor rear main..
Are you QuadDriver from the old Car Talk site?

'90 Bronco 5.8. By 180k it had a dead hole and was leaking oil from literally every gasket that could leak.

I drove it 7 hours one way to Denver to get a used engine as it was the only "truck" I had at the time. Pulled the fiberglass top so the engine could be easily loaded.

Was able to get a very low mileage 5.8 from a '96 E-series.

Are you QuadDriver from the old Car Talk site?
I am. **** that site has been gone over 20 years. from here too. back in the day when every make and model and engine had its own UBB or SMF based forum, I used the same username - even own the domain which I am about to expire. Im older now and more retired but wiser - right? lol

My '17 Infiniti Q60 w/VR30DDTT engine was replaced last November @ 33k miles because one of the two turbos developed a whistle under boost, ...

It was at the dealer for two weeks, and replaced under the 6-yr/70k mile Powertrain Warranty, which was timing-out just 4 days after the initial service diagnosis/appointment.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!
Premium brand get you premium service and attention to customer needs.

Now a run of the mill Nissan Altima, you're on your own :)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's odd that it would have a GM diff in a Ford less than a decade after being built by the OEM.
What happened to the Ford 9" rear? Those are reknowned for their durability and longevity.
I yeah, I'm wrong there; I meant a 9". Duh. I am a GM guy, I have 10 and 12 bolts and Buick 9-3/8" on the brain.
Funny the rear end was just about shot. The previous owner must have been whomping on it BAD before he sold it When I did the clutch the center pilot bushing was shot too. Paid $780. for the car. No rust. NO bad dents, owned by a State cop from Lynnfield, MA.

When I pulled the console out (consoles are for girls) there were three bullets under it. Big ones.

Good catch!

- Ken

I've had too many.

1988 Olds 98 3.8L-Spun bearing
1990 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1L- windowed block
1991 Chevy 3500 454- spun bearing
1996 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4.3L- spun bearing
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9L- bought with cracked heads as a mechanic special

None were low on oil or oil pressure when the knocking/windowing happened, except maybe the Olds with the 3.8. It sat for quite a few years and started knocking when revived. Supposedly ran fine before...

Common theme for all: Pennzoil conventional oil.

My audi got an engine somewhere around 130,000mi. FSI engine cam follower bit the dust when i didn't know to check such things. I had BFI in Cary replace the cam and hpfp but a couple thousand miles later it locked up regardless - maybe some debris clogged an oil passage. Replaced with a low mileage used engine.

Got a truck from my cousin about 10 years ago that was not running, had spun the cam gear on the cam.

Replaced by a mechanic with an engine from a 2003 F150, still driving it.

My brother cracked the block in the '77 Monte Carlo when I was a teen, but dad got rid of it.

Myself personally - no never had to replace an engine. I maintain them correctly and keep the oil full.

NOW - in my shop we average 2-3 motors a week. 99% due to lack of oil and maintenance. Most popular ones for me? GM ecotec 2.4 and 1.5T motors. Just finished up a '17 Malibu - no oil. These motors don't make it to the OCI without burning 2-3 qts..people don't check the oil and add.

Back