Have you ever had a 4x4 system fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad my jeeps have a very simple 4wd system. The only thing that I've done is install a Warn hub kit on my wife's Sahara. It allows the front diff to sit idle for her commutes. When the weather gets rough, I lock in the hubs and all she has to do is pull the lever. Unless my wallet gets really fat (not likely) I'll pass on any NV or NP (other than the part-time jeep offerings) sophisticated crap that has about as much durability as the contemporary automatics.

I would hang my head in shame if I engineered half of this crap.

72 toyota landcruiser blew a transfer case, rear end, numerous locking hubs and a front axle. the steering shaft also snapped in half one time. I was also running 40 inch mudders with a SBC.

87 chevy 4x4 had to replace auto front hubs at 213k miles as they became unreliable.

93 f250 had to repair tcase shift linkage this year still running original auto lock hubs plowed hundreds of driveways this winter. Beat this truck senseless plowing this year and nothing broke. 131k miles on it.

The shift forks wore out on my 83 GMC T-case. Left me stranded in neutral on the side of the road. But that truck plowed all its life (143k) , and was driven hard.

My Ford hasn't had any 4wd problems, but it has seen good maintenance and no hard work.

I've never had a 4x4 part fail except for a locking hub on my old CJ-5. I have seen a lot of busted, stranded vehicles with 4x4 but they were usually being used in a manner that I don't think they were designed for.

Some kid was literally jumping one of the square-eyed Wranglers going up a trail to a mountain lake. The A-hole blew the transfer case and front drive shaft and blocked the trail leaking fluid. I can't blame this on the Jeep. I was shocked at how wimpy the driveshaft was compared to my old CJ or Toyotas.

I had to lower 2 ladys and 3 kids down a trail with a towstrap (Lower Skyline Drive) last summer
when her front wheels stopped engaging. It was a faily new Explorer (not the newest ones with IRS) and it made nasty popping sounds from the front diff area. I assume it had a locking system near the diff and not on the hubs. I don't think Explorers belong offroad! (go ahead and flame away)

I've seen a fair number of auto-locking hubs fail.

Best practices in my humble opinion.

1) Simple is better.

2) Use it! Either my Toyota or Nissan manual says use 4WD for at least 10 miles every month. Not a problem for me.

3) I trust 4WD systems that autoengage at the diffs a lot more than auto-locking hubs.

4) Horsepower + stupidity breaks stuff offroad. If you think you may be stupid (ask your friends, they'll tell you) choose a model with less HP.
grin.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

When I bought my truck (97 F150 4x4), Consumer Reports reccommended agaisnt the floor shifter, saying to buy the truck with the dash board switch.

Anyway, in 8 years I have only had one problem. A vacuum line going to the front differential cracked. The transfer case would shift, but the front pumpkin wouldn't lock in. Ford wanted $90 for a new line (two lines with a rubber fitting at the ends). I fixed it with a short piece (about 3/4 inch long) of vacuum hose that the guy at the parts store gave me. I got a bigger line that the original line would slide into. I cut te line where it was cracked and spliced it with the new, bigger line. I just slid it in - no sealer or anything. This was about 4 years ago. My 4x4 still works flawlessly today.

I have never personely had a transfer case fail. I do not know anyone that has had one fail under normal use. I am not talking about guys running 48" and larger tires out rock crawling and mud bogging every weekend!I also only like transfer cases that have a lever that actualy does the shifting. All of the more modern cases with high speed low torque actuators have issues. It is all but impossable as far as Iam aware to get a new vechile with a true mechanical lever. The only redeming thing is that they fail often enough that you can buy remanufactured units for about $150 for all of the domestic brands and also for DaimlerChrysler trucks like Dodge and Jeep. New Venture/New Process owned by DC started this trend and the rest of the companys either get their units from them or copied the idea!

Another lame duck design is the automatic locking hub or axle that uses a front axle actuator!!! These are also elertical and fail. Some are motorized and some use a heated element ina seal chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back