Have to love the Fram company

I recently installed new cabin air filters in my Toyotas both using Fram# CF10285. In looking at the OEM ones I removed they had the usual arrow pointing up as for the direction of aif flow. The Fram ones had their arrows pointing down and this was also listed in their instructions. The exact opposite of Toyota. I called Fram about this oddity and they said disregard their arrow and instructions as the filter could be installed either way. I already knew this but thought it odd coming from the company.

I recently installed new cabin air filters in my Toyotas both using Fram# CF10285. In looking at the OEM ones I removed they had the usual arrow pointing up as for the direction of aif flow. The Fram ones had their arrows pointing down and this was also listed in their instructions. The exact opposite of Toyota. I called Fram about this oddity and they said disregard their arrow and instructions as the filter could be installed either way. I already knew this but thought it odd coming from the company.
All of the aftermarket filters are this way...

All of the aftermarket filters are this way...
Perhaps you can clarify that for me. Are you saying one can ignore the air flow direction arrows on all aftermarket CAFs?

Fwiw, I only use aftermarket CAF's. Generally speaking, least expensive most similar to OEM I can find, e.g., Potauto most recent. I do follow air flow direction arrows.

as the filter could be installed either way. I already knew this
So why are you looking at the arrow at all?

The one I see on a quick search says "UP" next to the arrow, not "FLOW." Is it obvious which way the air flows through a cabin filter?

Last edited:
Perhaps you can clarify that for me. Are you saying one can ignore the air flow direction arrows on all aftermarket CAFs?

Fwiw, I only use aftermarket CAF's. Generally speaking, least expensive most similar to OEM I can find, e.g., Potauto most recent. I do follow air flow direction arrows.
All of the aftermarket filters have an arrow indicating direction of airflow - and yes, it should be followed. The genuine Toyota filters have an arrow showing how they should be installed, but I don't think the arrow is intended for air flow.

All of the aftermarket filters have an arrow indicating direction of airflow - and yes, it should be followed. The genuine Toyota filters have an arrow showing how they should be installed, but I don't think the arrow is intended for air flow.
So you're saying for Toyota only, aftermarket CAF's will be opposite the Toyota arrow, because the latter indicates an installation direction, not air flow. If true, that seems needlessly confusing, 'imo.'

So you're saying for Toyota only, aftermarket CAF's will be opposite the Toyota arrow, because the latter indicates an installation direction, not air flow. If true, that seems needlessly confusing, 'imo.'
Yes.

1680208938358.jpg

Back