Have the "Dexcool" coolant flushed out of your GM vehicle...

'Craptastic' plastic GM intake gaskets in a 1992 (pre Dexcool) Buick V6. These never amounted to much and no improved replacements, AFAIK. I find it funny the 60 degree V6s, et al, got so much attention. I've got a 60 degree, Dexcool engine too. It was a lot more work to replace on that miserable thing.View attachment 44997View attachment 44998

How many miles were on that? The ones I pulled a while back out of a 3.8 Series I with 220,000 miles on it looked great in comparison to yours. Mine had a slight deformation around the coolant port on the drivers side rear that was seeping coolant externally(it leaked a few teaspoons worth total before I pulled the intake to replace it).

This car was around 230K, IIRC, unknown if it was original. Far longer than I could run our 60 degree V6 in all fairness. This engine had been weepy for years before I fixed it. As I understand it it, there was even a TSB about oil seepage on these when they were new. The fix was replacement of the gasket and more RTV at the edges.

Back