Have the "Dexcool" coolant flushed out of your GM vehicle...

Condenser failure was identified by GM as throttleing of the auto trans cooler. No idea if it ever got fixed.

We have seen trans and engine failures on 2018 Suburbans. 2019 and 2020 models too early to judge.

I know a GM mechanic in NYC that went on his own and I refer work to him. 3 engines so far...

drain and fill with distilled, go for a drive to open the thermostat, let it cool down and drain.

repeat 4 or 5 times over so you can be absolutely sure that you have got ALL the dex out.

refill with whatever you want and be happy.

Reactions: pbm
I can't believe this still comes up. Dexcool hasn't been a problem in 15 years.
Everything I own runs it. Never had a problem with in the LS series of engines.
The problem was when it ran low and the intake gasket failed because it broke down. Then it would sludge up.
Problem was fixed in 04 on the 3800 engines.
what was special about '04? I was looking at an '07 3800 today and it was sludging up:
dexdrool.jpg

I personally think the biggest issue with Dexcool is user error when people unknowingly top their systems off with traditional green.

Ford currently uses a Dexcool-ish coolant if I am not mistaken. Chrysler does as well although it’s a little bit more unique.

Im in the livery business...used to own a Suburban...know a lot of people with these vehicles. The best thing you can do is get the "Dexcool" coolant flushed and replaced with Peak Global Lifetime. Pepboys seems best equipped around here to perform these fluid flushes.

Lets say you keep cruising with Dexcool mysterious problems will happen like a leak in the radiator...a leak in the coolant reservoir...etc...

GM has been having problems with Dexcool since they started using it in 1996.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

Dexcool contains an aggressive plasticizer chemical. Peak Global Lifetime is the same coolant minus that chemical.

Interesting as my work has used DEXCOOL in Gm, Cadillac and GMC since I started over 16 years ago. No problems whatsoever. Only bad I heard about DEXCOOL early on was something about the hose materials reacting and corroding from inside and out. If DEXCOOL is so horrible my 4 co workers with 2009-2011 Silverado/Sierra trucks would have issues. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Interesting as my work has used DEXCOOL in Gm, Cadillac and GMC since I started over 16 years ago. No problems whatsoever. Only bad I heard about DEXCOOL early on was something about the hose materials reacting and corroding from inside and out. If DEXCOOL is so horrible my 4 co workers with 2009-2011 Silverado/Sierra trucks would have issues. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
I think what this guy later discovered in this thread, or alluded to, was problems associated with 2014-2018 Suburbans. He mistakenly blamed the dexcool on his radiator failure.

These trucks had issues with the side tanks on the radiator welds and they leaked far too soon. It’s pretty common - having said that - I’m sure the GM crowd will jump in and tell me how it isn’t common. Either way, it’s not the dexcool. And the AC condensers are also a problem. The OP I think talked about all of the things he’s had to replace...radiator, condenser, transmission...stuff like that. And how the truck was not holding up for what he was doing for a living (using it as a livery vehicle). And I know that’s debatable.

Have a 2004 Chevy avalanche, dexcool all its life, original water pump original rad. So it’s not the best thing to flush it and replace w Peak

Is Ford recommending their new yellow (CorGuard) coolant in all 2012 and newer models that originally came with orange (Dexcool) or just in the Transit?

So there are people here who still claim that 2EHA based antifreezes should not be used. What is their rationale?

Is Ford recommending their new yellow (CorGuard) coolant in all 2012 and newer models that originally came with orange (Dexcool) or just in the Transit?
it replaced both of their previous coolants, speciality green and orange. orange is still avaliable and allowed to be filled in cars that used it besides the transits

Reactions: pbm
Dexcool is great, as long as it's not mixed with any other type of coolant.

But that doesn't make sense. If you buy "universal coolant" from the auto store, its primary ingredient is 2EHA and the labels say you can mix all you want.

"Shops reported other problems with DexCool engines besides the 3.1 and 3.4-liter engine. Specifically, shops reported sludge buildup, especially in cast iron engines. But after a thorough investigation, it turns out that the only time sludge builds up is if the engine is low on coolant. When engines run low on coolant, the organic acid technologies oxidize and cause iron oxide deposits. The “rusting” usually NOT affect newer aluminum engines. But, running ANY engine when it’s low on organic acid type coolant cause form sludge."

'Craptastic' plastic GM intake gaskets in a 1992 (pre Dexcool) Buick V6. These never amounted to much and no improved replacements, AFAIK. I find it funny the 60 degree V6s, et al, got so much attention. I've got a 60 degree, Dexcool engine too. It was a lot more work to replace on that miserable thing.
After3.jpg
Gaskets.jpg

Back