have a problemAir Tank capacity, What can i do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, Good day to you all, i have a problem? I have a Craftsman air compressor that i really like but the problem is that it is only a 3 gallon tank on it , what can i do to improve the capacity to say 10-20 gallons? Can i in some way attach another tank to it to expand the capacity?

I am now using cut off wheels, impact wrench etc so i need the extra capacity. Can this be done ? Without buying a new compressor?

Tia, Tundraz

No big deal, just connect another tank to a tee. Once your system is pressurized, you will be able run longer until the compressor starts. Once it starts, you will have no more capacity than now.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Use a 6" diameter pipe the length of your shop as an air manifold. That'll hold plenty of air.

not using PVC. If it ever gets hit, it can shatter and that's dangerous at high pressure.

What you need to do is get an air bubble ( sample ). Set it by your compressor, and use a T fitting to connect into the air line. You'll need to take the tire air chuck off it. (I do this when blowing out my sprinklers)

Excellent ideas , thanks guys , you guys are the best, cant wait for saturday to come so i can get started on this.

Do Auto parts stores sell the "T" connection or will i have to go to Home depot etc?

Thanks again.

Tundraz

NAPA has a variety of smaller fittings. Not sure about others. Anything bigger, you will need to hit a hardware or home center. Use black iron or brass. You can get zinc flakes off galvanized and as mentioned, no PVC.

Note, 11 gallons is less than 2 cubic feet. Not going to help much if your tools take much air.

Last edited:
On air fittings Home Depot, I usually check the price in air tools section, then walk over to plumbing and see if the steel fittings are any cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Tundraz

I am now using cut off wheels, impact wrench etc so i need the extra capacity. Can this be done ? Without buying a new compressor?
My 20 gallon compressor cant supply enough air for my cut off wheel. Runs about 10 seconds before it loses power and rpm.

It will not run a cut off tool very long a few seconds then it will be on the pump and will not keep up. IMO it's best to save money till you can afford the biggest compresser you will ever need for the tools you want to run, with compressers bigger is always better no such thing as to big. 15 to 18 cfm at 90 psi shuld be good for the average DIY guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back