Hate/Racism/Bigotry on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand where you're coming from, but some of the more entertaining threads here, found mainly in the General and Off Topic forum are full of invective and baiting.
I've been guilty of joining the festivities from time to time and even originating some threads that devolved into bash-fests.
I have to agree with those who consider this to be a tame and well moderated site.
You should visit some of the marque-specific sites if you want to see just how bad things can get.
People will post things online that they would never speak to anyone face to face, but that is the nature of online forums just as it was the nature of letters to the editor and opinion columns in another age.
You can still find such things in the few remaining real newspapers.
I guess that I find this site enjoyable mainly for its useful exchange of information based upon the real experience of the members, many of whom are either actual techs or people who have driven many cars for many miles over many years, using many different oils, of course.
Or in at least one case, only one oil brand for many miles and many years.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 Some of them come back with more than one name, and then talk to themselves.

crazy.gif
crackmeup2.gif
20.gif
35.gif

Wow, sounds interesting. Multiple personalities perhaps?

Wonder if someone will ever sign up with the screen name "Sybil"
19.gif

It's a great way to build consensus....

If someone calls me a redneck,a hick,or a county bumpkin,are they racist?

It has nothing to do with race, so no, they are not being racist. Maybe they are stereotyping you based on your location, or maybe their accusation has merit based on your lack of sophistication, or maybe you literally have a red neck from picking strawberries.

hotwheels

There are some serious feels around here. I imagine this thread will be locked before long, but not before I deploy....
2q15f0g.jpg

If you are of the mindset that racism bigotry etc is everywhere, then its easy to interpret it where it really may not be. Sure there is racism and bigotry in the world, but perhaps through your lenses you are interpreting it where it is not intended. Intent is the key, a phrase can be used as a slur but its the context that matters. If there are facts that are not politically correct yet accurate , it does not mean its racist or bigoted, its just that you don't like the data.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I've never seen the extreme but it flirts that line a lot.

As far as politics & religion, yes they always inflame the situation to that point and I agree. Bans for constantly bringing those up would not be a bad idea.
We'll start by banning you.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
If you are of the mindset that racism bigotry etc is everywhere, then its easy to interpret it where it really may not be. Sure there is racism and bigotry in the world, but perhaps through your lenses you are interpreting it where it is not intended. Intent is the key, a phrase can be used as a slur but its the context that matters. If there are facts that are not politically correct yet accurate , it does not mean its racist or bigoted, its just that you don't like the data.
The "professionally outraged" are everywhere, especially if there is a check involved.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
I think all of you have been baited into talking about something that does not exist on this site.
Yes, tr0lls are everywhere barking from the manger.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: spasm3
The "professionally outraged" are everywhere, especially if there is a check involved.

Yep. They got their hand out.

crazy.gif
crackmeup2.gif
20.gif
35.gif

It seems that way.......
Some have their own page in the DSM V. Some are not happy until they can find fault with something or someone.

Last edited:
MIddle age white men are fair game for anyone with a grudge against the world.

Right on!

It has nothing to do with my opinion or any for the matter. The person using the term knows what it is. Even eluding to it because they just won't outright say it. Then they know they will get the hammer and rightfully so. I could dig past threads up from others as well but for what purpose? I am talking now, you won't see my opinion in the future. Not the place to discuss it. The extreme to me is the outright use of a hate term/word in any sense. I apologize for not making that clear. A lot of what I've read flirts with crossing that line without outright saying the word. You can get very close to saying it without actually uttering the word(s) but no one really thinks you did wrong till you say it. I not saying we have to ask permission to speak but why turn any discussion in General or anywhere for that matter into a political/religious debate no one will win. Just stop it right there because it always ends poorly and in some instances disgustingly so. The rules are not being enforced...that is the problem. BTW:Yes I've reported many things...whether it got threw or not I can't say.

Color me confused, but I have been here since 2010 and have not seen any thread go to the extreme that you suggest (save for one troll who was banned the same week he/she joined and even then it was not to the level that you are describing). In my experience, the rules are fairly and consistently applied when things get awry.

Exactly what are you driving at mate? Speak clearly and stop dancing around the issue. If you cannot voice it here, PM one of the mods with your complaint/issue. I am certain they would at least listen to what you have to say.

The rules are not being enforced...that is the problem.

Its not my site, its not your site. Interpretation of the rules is really up to the site owner and his/her mods.
If you want your view of how a site should be run, start your own site and run it as you wish. How close someone comes to the line, or when they are over it and get a vacation / ban is really up to the person who owns the site, there is no fair or unfair, its what the owner wants to see on his/her site.

If you own a site, who is someone else to tell you how to run it and what rules are not being enforced etc.

Last edited:

Right on!

According to general education professors at my school, they are to blame. It is a horrible thing to sit though.. and it is even worse knowing you are paying someone to be a dumb (insert choice word here).

Thankfully that is (mostly) over and Im taking math and science classes. Nothing is based around an opinion and politics aren't mentioned.

crazy.gif
crackmeup2.gif
20.gif
35.gif

Wonder if someone will ever sign up with the screen name "Sybil"
19.gif

After this thread, maybe.........

I don't think I have seen very much hate, racism, or bigotry at this website. I think it was a very good thing that discussion about politics and religion was stopped because back in the days when discussion about politics and religion was allowed it could get really bad.

I do wish a few people would be more tolerate when it comes to what news a person wants to watch. I personally like Fox News and I don't really care what anybody else wants to watch. I say let people watch whatever news they want to watch. The small amount of hate I have observed seems to be directed at Fox News.

The biggest problem I personally have at this website is harassment by the guy who keeps coming back with new user names and who likes to cause disruption. Right now, if we are right, he has several user names and he is getting older now and I wonder when he is going to GROW UP! When he was here as a registered member, before he was banned for life, I thought he was a promising, intelligent, young man who might amount to something special. He demonstrated various skills such as having some talent in photography. I don't know what became of that. It seems to me that a person has to become an adult at some point in his life.

So since he may well be talking to himself now with various user names I do think 'Sybil' would be a very good new user name for him. I think that is an excellent suggestion and I think he should consider that user name as one of his many new user names. He can continue to impress all of us by using proxy servers and perhaps the Tor Network to keep coming back again and again.

Otherwise, I just don't see the hate, racism and bigotry at this website. The moderators seem to do a pretty good job. I think this website should continue to not allow discussion about politics or religion. Those are hot button subjects that many people are unable to handle.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
He can continue to impress all of us by using proxy servers and perhaps the Tor Network to keep coming back again and again.

Let me fix this for you.

He can continue to impress 'himself' by using proxy servers and perhaps the Tor Network to keep coming back again and again.

He doesn't impress me. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back