Has WM Lost It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the local WM yesterday and noticed that the Super Tech HM costs more that Mobil Clean 5000.While the Mobil is regualar dino,the ST isnt worth that price just because it is HM,that just isnt right.Super Tech is getting costly and it is hard to justify buying it over the likes of MC5000.

Did WM ever have it?
lol.gif

I am getting sick of all the wal mart hipe. It is no longer the cheapest in town. As a matter of fact I think their oil prices are beginning to suck. I think they are slowly raising prices and thinking the consumer is stupid. The personal care products are just as expensive as name brand.

I buy only a select FEW things at walmart. Never any groceries from mexico / china.

I've never understood all of the walmart hype either. The prices aren't any cheaper than other places. Combine that with dealing with the normal walmart customer. No thanks, I'll shop else where.

Swing by AAP for some great pricing. MC SB5W-20 for about $4.50/qt and I think M1 0-40 was $8.49.

Small box Bennys often has Superguard for 1.49 or .99 A.R.

So WM is "somewhere in between"

Quote:

the normal walmart customer.

Some would argue, an oxymoron.

Last edited:
Current sale at my local Meijer is Mobil 1 jugs everything they have in stock (no ep in jugs available) are all $21

Last week i think they had the jugs for like $23 but when you buy 1 jug you get a free quart of the same type for free.

Walmart is not the cheapest for me but they have a better selection of products in the synthetics.

I am not saying that ST is a bad oil but costing more than MC5000? That is just a little more than acceptable.A store brand oil costing more than a name brand isnt right,that is really the purpose of a store brand,they cost less than a name brand.This must not apply to WM.

From what i have read in previous posts i believe super tech is a high quality oil in both conventional and synthetic. I would not compare it to other store brands which are cheap quality.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i used to buy that oil but its too overpriced now and i wont use it

Maybe someone needs to tell this to WM.They seem to think that it is priced at an appropriate level.

I have used ST and it seemed to to ok but to be priced higher than a name brand? It isnt worth paying a higher price for.

Last edited:
No, they haven't lost it. You're thinking too much in terms of oil quality; several Wal-mart generics are as much if not just a little more than namebrand. Business model of supply/demand...perhaps Supertech is outselling Mobil. If enough people agree with you, the balance will swing and Mobil might rise in price, but will that actually make you feel better to spend more on it?

Maybe the psychology of shopping dictates people won't buy the cheapest, Wal-mart knows this, and moves their most profitable product a whisker more than Mobil. I recall an interview with fragrance designers/executives during which they said the public hesitates to buy cheap perfume or cologne, and thus to stay in business they were required to make prices skyrocket. They were required to make it expensive by the consumer! Thank John Q. Public next time you spend $60 on your wife's perfume instead of $15.

Here is the deal with walmart. They sell products for a fair price. Sometimes they are not the cheapest, but you know when you walk in there that you won't have to shop all over town for motor oil. Don't believe me? Take a look at the pricing of oil at Kmart, or Target. Its absurd.

The local hardware store had a big sale on 5 quarts of lower tier oil for $8.99.

Walmart sells their supertech oil for $9.50 every day of the week.

Beware of shopping at autoparts stores, their prices seem good until you realize that they only sell 4 quart gallon jugs, not a 5 quart jug that you get at walmart. Buying that extra quart blows the deal every time.

The only deals I have seen at auto part stores are those oil change deals, but even by going after that, you are only saving a couple bucks over buying from wally.

Sad but true.

Their supertech brand must be popular, people are blindly picking it up, and paying whatever price it says. Many people do not compare oil, they just buy the house brand and call it a day. When walmart first came here probably 10 years ago, the supertech oil was MUCH cheaper than anything else. Now it has crept up, but there are still deals to be had.

I think the best deal on oil at walmart is Mobil5000 and Quaker State. If Pennzoil stays at $12, it will be another deal.

Originally Posted By: Xman77
No, they haven't lost it. You're thinking too much in terms of oil quality; several Wal-mart generics are as much if not just a little more than namebrand.

I disagree.While ST may be a good oil I dont think it is better than Mobil or any other name brand.I also dont think that they are pricing themselves out of the market by raising the price of ST.ST is probably a good oil,I have used it several times but it isnt a name brand and should not be priced as such.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
Originally Posted By: Xman77
No, they haven't lost it. You're thinking too much in terms of oil quality; several Wal-mart generics are as much if not just a little more than namebrand.

I disagree.While ST may be a good oil I dont think it is better than Mobil or any other name brand.I also dont think that they are pricing themselves out of the market by raising the price of ST.ST is probably a good oil,I have used it several times but it isnt a name brand and should not be priced as such.

Again, you're putting too much stock into the oil quality argument. The fact that Supertech is more expensive is not necessarily an assertion that it's better or worse. Is the Little Caesar's $5 large better or worse than the $10 Papa John's? That's up to the consumer to decide, but enough people must be buying Papa at $10 or they would be in the latest bankruptcy list.

This is their calculation of what will earn them the most money. If I were on their board, and they lost millions in potential earnings due to not raising prices in response to demand I would be irate. If this is simply a rant of yours about what things "should" cost, then I guess I'm checking out now. If you'd like a business-based, or at least logic-based response, of why one product costs more I think I provided that.

Bottom line, if you think ST is garbage then simply buy Mobil 1 for less and be happy. Mobil's price may rise in response; again, will that make you feel more comfortable? I bargain shop constantly and spend less than their prices for synthetic; I spend little to no thought on why things I don't buy cost too much, except maybe I'll see them at Big Lots one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back