Has WM Lost It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
I've never understood all of the walmart hype either. The prices aren't any cheaper than other places. Combine that with dealing with the normal walmart customer. No thanks, I'll shop else where.

+2. Supertech is probably an okay oil, but knowing Wally's tactics for negotiating with suppliers to meet a certain price point by lowering the quality of a product to it's bare minimum, I'll pass. I'd rather buy name brand on sale for a dollar or so more elsewhere.

Plus the customer base at our local store make me question the sanity of the human race, so I just avoid that place.

Originally Posted By: jeepman
Plus the customer base at our local store make me question the sanity of the human race, so I just avoid that place.

I felt the same way when I attended my first Star Trek convention, just out of curiosity. I walked out of there hoping the rest of the human race didn't think I was a "Trekie" too.
45.gif

Originally Posted By: Xman77
[This is their calculation of what will earn them the most money. If I were on their board, and they lost millions in potential earnings due to not raising prices in response to demand I would be irate. If this is simply a rant of yours about what things "should" cost, then I guess I'm checking out now. If you'd like a business-based, or at least logic-based response, of why one product costs more I think I provided that.Bottom line, if you think ST is garbage then simply buy Mobil 1 for less and be happy. Mobil's price may rise in response; again, will that make you feel more comfortable?

I have used ST but there comes a point when the price of the store brand becomes more than a name brand that it is not acceptable.
I am not really putting stock in anything.I am only saying that ST isnt a name brand oil and should not be priced as one.It also is not a rant on what I think something should be.It is stating the fact that this is a store brand oil and is priced higher than a name brand.This applies to anything that is not name brand.It could be a can of cat food instead of oil,it is an off brand and regardless of quality,off brands are marketed as that,off brand and the price is supposed to reflect such.I think that we all agree that WM wants to make the most they can,that is what they do,however,your logic doesnt really apply in the sense that this is an oil that is their brand,not a name brand.The difference being,the WM brand is just that,a WM brand and is in every sense,the cheap brand,not the more expensive.The WM brand is the brand that is marketed as a cheaper choice,or supposed to be.When it costs more than a name brand,it is no longer the cheap choice but a more costly one.The price of Mobil being higher making me feel better is of no value to this thread,the thread is the discussion that WM is selling a store brand at a premium price and that isnt what a store brand is for.It isnt a rant,it is a fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motorguy222
I was in the local WM yesterday and noticed that the Super Tech HM costs more that Mobil Clean 5000.While the Mobil is regualar dino,the ST isnt worth that price just because it is HM,that just isnt right.Super Tech is getting costly and it is hard to justify buying it over the likes of MC5000.

Not directly related to oil, but the Walmart in the city where my folks live (small about 25k people) has recently remodeled and has reduced the variety of products it carries ("streamlined" in WM parlance). They're losing business hand over fist because people are just going next door to Target to get the items Walmart no longer stocks and rather than make two trips, are just doing all their shopping while they're at Target.

Might not seem like much of a big deal until you look at the parkinglots on a Saturday. The WM lot that was usually packed 2/3 full is only about 1/2 full and the target lot that was maybe 1/4 full is now 1/2 or more.

...so in answer to your question, yes Walmart has lost its marbles.

Last edited:
i would love it if target would improve their oil aisle. i would love to see walmart handed their [censored].

there are a few things walmart does better. i would love to see target take away that edge.

the walmart selection is great. i would not buy oil anywhere else because of the prices. pepboys, aap, etc.. maybe someone from nj could chime in..

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
I was in the local WM yesterday and noticed that the Super Tech HM costs more that Mobil Clean 5000.While the Mobil is regualar dino,the ST isnt worth that price just because it is HM,that just isnt right.Super Tech is getting costly and it is hard to justify buying it over the likes of MC5000.

Not directly related to oil, but the Walmart in the city where my folks live (small about 25k people) has recently remodeled and has reduced the variety of products it carries ("streamlined" in WM parlance). They're losing business hand over fist because people are just going next door to Target to get the items Walmart no longer stocks and rather than make two trips, are just doing all their shopping while they're at Target.

Might not seem like much of a big deal until you look at the parkinglots on a Saturday. The WM lot that was usually packed 2/3 full is only about 1/2 full and the target lot that was maybe 1/4 full is now 1/2 or more.

I have no ax to grind either way, but in my area WM is king over Target. No comparison with parking lot activity. WM is way ahead. Here, WM has lost no business at all to any other retailer that's noticeable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: buickman50401

I have no ax to grind either way, but in my area WM is king over Target. No comparison with parking lot activity. WM is way ahead. Here, WM has lost no business at all to any other retailer that's noticeable.

" . . . in my area WM is king over Target." Same here. I was in a Target the other day and they had about 3 different bottles of oil all at prices about 25 percent higher than WM, and in my case most of it was 10W-40!
I don't quit understand this comment: "Never any groceries from mexico / china." The name brand groceries Walmart sells come from a different place than any of the other major retail grocery chains? Such as Kraft, Pepsi, Coca Cola, etc.?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Current sale at my local Meijer is Mobil 1 jugs everything they have in stock (no ep in jugs available) are all $21

Last week i think they had the jugs for like $23 but when you buy 1 jug you get a free quart of the same type for free.

Walmart is not the cheapest for me but they have a better selection of products in the synthetics.

Meijer sells 4 quart jugs, Walmart sells 5 quart jugs. Walmart wins

Originally Posted By: iluvhonda
the walmart selection is great. i would not buy oil anywhere else because of the prices. pepboys, aap, etc.. maybe someone from nj could chime in..

Not from NJ but about 3 hours south. AAP, PepBoys, and AutoZone deals are sometimes better than Walmart when on oil change special.

I consider the AAP special on PP + PureOne better than getting 5 quarts and a FRAM Tough Guard filter at Walmart. About same cost but better filter.

However, I would rather get 5 quarts of PYB and a filter at Walmart since AAP has the same oil and a Purolator Classic for $17.99.

Of course Regular Prices are almost never competitive. Only with Rotella T6 does any of them come close.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Current sale at my local Meijer is Mobil 1 jugs everything they have in stock (no ep in jugs available) are all $21

Last week i think they had the jugs for like $23 but when you buy 1 jug you get a free quart of the same type for free.

Walmart is not the cheapest for me but they have a better selection of products in the synthetics.

Meijer sells 4 quart jugs, Walmart sells 5 quart jugs. Walmart wins
Except for Turbo Diesel Truck-which is 1 gallon/4 quarts both places (just bought a couple Saturday w/the 20% off coupon).

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Anyone notice the ST has the same bottle as Exxon?

Not a coincidence - XOM makes some WM ST oil.

It doesn't matter what the customer buys, XOM wins both ways!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Anyone notice the ST has the same bottle as Exxon?

Not a coincidence - XOM makes some WM ST oil.

It doesn't matter what the customer buys, XOM wins both ways!

COOL.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: iluvhonda

Not on Long Island anymore. The two big Chinamarts by me have shrunk the oil selection/shelf space by around 60% in the past few months, while the grocery section is greatly expanded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back