Has this become just an "oil recommendation" site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I tend to ignore most of the oil posts/threads. The mechanical/maintenance section is where I spend most of my time. I cannot express enough thanks for all that I have learned about cars on here. Without this site I never would have attempted half of the repairs that I have done in recent years. The off topic forum is sometimes fun, and the rebate and sale sections are worth a quick look everyday. I love this site because everyone on here has a passion for cars, and while many just want to know about oil many others know so much about different things that may spark your interest. Heck I have even bought a few stocks based on recommendations on here.
^This.
Just be careful with the 'stock tips'

Last edited:
Just a couple
smile.gif
. I always do my research

It would be a nice idea if Helen could get guys with genuine
expertise (certifications, past job experience, ect) in the related fields to send their credentials in and then she could create an chemistry experts sub forum (and for that matter mechanical experts forum) and folks could ask questions from a
certified expert.

I would love that!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
expertise (certifications, past job experience, ect) in the related fields to send their credentials in and then she could create an chemistry experts sub forum (and for that matter mechanical experts forum) and folks could ask questions from a
certified expert.

I would love that!

To some degree, that already exists. Airline pilots post in the aviation section. A tire engineer with decades of experience frequently posts in the tire section....though he is often shouted down by those without his experience....

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
certified expert.

I would love that!

To some degree, that already exists. Airline pilots post in the aviation section. A tire engineer with decades of experience frequently posts in the tire section....though he is often shouted down by those without his experience....

That's why I would have the forum work in such a way that anyone can ask a question but only the designated experts can answer them, it could be one expert or numerous experts.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I tend to ignore most of the oil posts/threads. The mechanical/maintenance section is where I spend most of my time. I cannot express enough thanks for all that I have learned about cars on here. Without this site I never would have attempted half of the repairs that I have done in recent years. The off topic forum is sometimes fun, and the rebate and sale sections are worth a quick look everyday. I love this site because everyone on here has a passion for cars, and while many just want to know about oil many others know so much about different things that may spark your interest. Heck I have even bought a few stocks based on recommendations on here.

Yeah this. It turns out any oil I can find on sale or full price is "pretty good" if not better.
smile.gif

The kind of car nut who worries about what they run for oil though, and over-analyzes such things, is the type who can think clearly and hopefulliy write clearly so others can appreciate the message he's trying to convey, and share his enthusiasm.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I just see it as a chat forum,where people with common interests go to have fun. Same as other forums....music,art,etc,just to discuss what we enjoy talking about.

Pretty much this.

As you guys can see, we are quickly closing in on 50k members now. (granted, they are not here all the time!
smile.gif
) With that many people, you are going to have issues. This is not 2002 when there was Bob and maybe a few thousand members. At the time it may have been very "techie", but that changes when any sites grow to sizes like this.

It's like life, people come and go, and you are always going to have new people. Bottom line, people sometimes are not going to like the change, whether they can control it or not.

There are things that have even changed since I have been here, and I just roll with it......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back