High Performance Lubricants Q&A answers

Hello and thank you to all who had questions. Here are the list of questions with their corresponding answers.

The PDS says "Meets or exceeds.” How do you know it meets or exceeds without engine bench testing?

Answer: The additive packages we choose are always from mainline suppliers that meet published specifications. We will run a baseline formula initially, then apply additional chemistry to improve the performance of the formulation. We verify the improvements over the baseline in the lab. Once we are satisfied with the results, we verify that the products work as expected in the field through oil analysis.

Your HDMO doesn't meet CJ or CK and several of the other engine manufacturers specs for engines with SCR or DPF, is this a good thing? Why?

Answer:
Our HDMO formulations are more additized than a CJ or CK type product. Great effort goes into the choice of raw materials that result in a final, low volatility formulation. Our HDMO products, by virtue of their low volatility, remain in the pan or on lubricated parts where the lubricant belongs. Therefore, any negative effects from the additives at the SCR or DPF are reduced or eliminated. In addition, our experience in racing has also shown that the lubricants provide better ring seal than other lubricants. We have large fleets running this formulation with excellent results both for the engine as well as the exhaust aftertreatment.

Where would you place GTL base oils in the hierarchy of group classification? Would you consider it superior to other group III oils and why?

Answer:
GTL base oils formally belong to Group III based on API guidelines and in our opinion rightfully so. While GTL base oils generally have lower volatility and lower pour points than most Group III base oils, there is variation in the properties and performance of GTL fluids just like there are among the other Group III base oils.

Great initiative in such a constellation. These HDMOs are shown to be rated for mixed fleet / dual use gasoline / diesel. How much of a compromise are such achievements, especially regarding their viscosity index improvers (where needed) and friction modifiers and is it becoming more difficult for latest cleanliness requirements on both sides? May this even be regarded as a niche opening up (with high VI to be had from just GTL, Estolides and the like) for machines inbetween dependant on low engine deposit formation?

Answer: By using high quality VI Improvers and friction modifiers coupled with the fact that nearly all of our formulations will contain esters it is not a compromise. It should be noted that a small amount of VII can achieve equal to or higher VI than can be achieved using a base oil of a few VI units higher than another. Formulating with performance first and cost second would truly be the niche.

My car requires Dexos 1 Gen.2 5W30. Do you have a product that meets this? Thank you.

Yes. I will post the data sheets for you. Although we make products that meet this specification, we still feel the HDMO series is a higher performing product by comparison.

Do we have to have an account with HPL to read data sheets, and if so how do we set it up? Thanks.

Answer: High Performance Lubricants is primarily an industrial lubricants company. As a result, the majority of our sales are technical in nature and handled application by application. For this reason, our datasheets are password protected. I will be happy to subsequently post links for our motor oil series so they are available outside the password protection.

In the interest of streamlining my inventory, here is a specific question for my current needs. I have vehicles, daily driven, that need presently specifications for : One needs MS-6395,Two need VW 502/505/ two need VW 504/507. They all get a 10K mile or one year interval as of now, I don't care about licensing. Is there one product I can safely use in all these vehicles without worry? I am thinking the 5W30 504/507 would be OK for all and probably overkill for the Chrysler. Any thoughts?

Answer:
The HDMO series will provide the widest advantage when trying to minimize the number of lubricants on the shelf. Since this is a gas/diesel formulation it will work for the vehicles listed in your signature (even your hot rod). We have five VW/Audi’s in our company that have run nothing but our HDMO product line. We do run used oil analysis (UOA) on these and the wear rates are low. The fact is we do exactly what you are speaking of and use a minimum number of formulations across all of our vehicles, gas and diesel. The use of shear stable VI Improvers and synthetic base stocks by our choice will put us ahead of the minimum requirements set by specifications more stringent than a standard API lubricant.

If, after say 100-200k miles, there is little or no wear, i.e. if there is not any semblance of excessive blow by, what difference does it really make, what the composition of your add pack is? deliveries. There is one cold start per day. It is in a mild climate. Two hundred or so highway miles are accrued each day, ~360 days per year. My conditions are not severe. I ask in the context of your HDMO oils vs your SP oils. Higher TBN.

Answer: There are two issues here. I will assume the low wear rates are verified by oil analysis. The benefit you will see is that the balanced chemistry will allow the lubricant to perform in a similar manner for a longer period of time. This of course leads up to the second part. Better base oils are required to aid thermal and oxidation stability. For example, you can produce a high TBN oil, but if it is in a base oil that will oxidize before you can achieve an extended drain you have not gained enough from the additives alone. Our robust ad packs along with better base oils is what allows our lubricants to work longer.

Again thank you for the questions.

David Ward

Attachments

• PC-Engine-Oil-PDS.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 280
today "synthetic" means less IMO! i like to see group III or PAO + of course Ester based oils, lots of marketing to sell good but lesser oils for more $$$ IMO

Group lll base stock is made from either dino oil or natural gas. The oilgas is hydrocracked to breakdown the polymer chains into shorter sections. The deisred sections are reassembled into oil. Group IV and group V base stocks are tyrue synthetic oils.

BTW, in Germany oils that have group lll base stock can not be labeled as "synthetic."

Hello and thank you to all who had questions. Here are the list of questions with their corresponding answers.

The PDS says "Meets or exceeds.” How do you know it meets or exceeds without engine bench testing?

Answer:
The additive packages we choose are always from mainline suppliers that meet published specifications. We will run a baseline formula initially, then apply additional chemistry to improve the performance of the formulation. We verify the improvements over the baseline in the lab. Once we are satisfied with the results, we verify that the products work as expected in the field through oil analysis.

Your HDMO doesn't meet CJ or CK and several of the other engine manufacturers specs for engines with SCR or DPF, is this a good thing? Why?

Answer:
Our HDMO formulations are more additized than a CJ or CK type product. Great effort goes into the choice of raw materials that result in a final, low volatility formulation. Our HDMO products, by virtue of their low volatility, remain in the pan or on lubricated parts where the lubricant belongs. Therefore, any negative effects from the additives at the SCR or DPF are reduced or eliminated. In addition, our experience in racing has also shown that the lubricants provide better ring seal than other lubricants. We have large fleets running this formulation with excellent results both for the engine as well as the exhaust aftertreatment.

Where would you place GTL base oils in the hierarchy of group classification? Would you consider it superior to other group III oils and why?

Answer:
GTL base oils formally belong to Group III based on API guidelines and in our opinion rightfully so. While GTL base oils generally have lower volatility and lower pour points than most Group III base oils, there is variation in the properties and performance of GTL fluids just like there are among the other Group III base oils.

Great initiative in such a constellation. These HDMOs are shown to be rated for mixed fleet / dual use gasoline / diesel. How much of a compromise are such achievements, especially regarding their viscosity index improvers (where needed) and friction modifiers and is it becoming more difficult for latest cleanliness requirements on both sides? May this even be regarded as a niche opening up (with high VI to be had from just GTL, Estolides and the like) for machines inbetween dependant on low engine deposit formation?

Answer:
By using high quality VI Improvers and friction modifiers coupled with the fact that nearly all of our formulations will contain esters it is not a compromise. It should be noted that a small amount of VII can achieve equal to or higher VI than can be achieved using a base oil of a few VI units higher than another. Formulating with performance first and cost second would truly be the niche.

My car requires Dexos 1 Gen.2 5W30. Do you have a product that meets this? Thank you.

Yes. I will post the data sheets for you. Although we make products that meet this specification, we still feel the HDMO series is a higher performing product by comparison.

Do we have to have an account with HPL to read data sheets, and if so how do we set it up? Thanks.

Answer: High Performance Lubricants is primarily an industrial lubricants company. As a result, the majority of our sales are technical in nature and handled application by application. For this reason, our datasheets are password protected. I will be happy to subsequently post links for our motor oil series so they are available outside the password protection.

In the interest of streamlining my inventory, here is a specific question for my current needs. I have vehicles, daily driven, that need presently specifications for : One needs MS-6395,Two need VW 502/505/ two need VW 504/507. They all get a 10K mile or one year interval as of now, I don't care about licensing. Is there one product I can safely use in all these vehicles without worry? I am thinking the 5W30 504/507 would be OK for all and probably overkill for the Chrysler. Any thoughts?

Answer:
The HDMO series will provide the widest advantage when trying to minimize the number of lubricants on the shelf. Since this is a gas/diesel formulation it will work for the vehicles listed in your signature (even your hot rod). We have five VW/Audi’s in our company that have run nothing but our HDMO product line. We do run used oil analysis (UOA) on these and the wear rates are low. The fact is we do exactly what you are speaking of and use a minimum number of formulations across all of our vehicles, gas and diesel. The use of shear stable VI Improvers and synthetic base stocks by our choice will put us ahead of the minimum requirements set by specifications more stringent than a standard API lubricant.

If, after say 100-200k miles, there is little or no wear, i.e. if there is not any semblance of excessive blow by, what difference does it really make, what the composition of your add pack is? deliveries. There is one cold start per day. It is in a mild climate. Two hundred or so highway miles are accrued each day, ~360 days per year. My conditions are not severe. I ask in the context of your HDMO oils vs your SP oils. Higher TBN.

Answer:
There are two issues here. I will assume the low wear rates are verified by oil analysis. The benefit you will see is that the balanced chemistry will allow the lubricant to perform in a similar manner for a longer period of time. This of course leads up to the second part. Better base oils are required to aid thermal and oxidation stability. For example, you can produce a high TBN oil, but if it is in a base oil that will oxidize before you can achieve an extended drain you have not gained enough from the additives alone. Our robust ad packs along with better base oils is what allows our lubricants to work longer.

Again thank you for the questions.

David Ward
Hi David, can you tell me the similarities or differences between HPL pcmo and the Amsoil SS line of oils.

One thing that's confused me a bit is how moly does or does not contribute to SA%. I would think that being a metallic additive, 500 ppm of moly would show up as a decent increase in sulfated ash? There are a few high moly oils like HPL Euro that are based on "mid SAPS" packages but have a decent amount of moly compared to normal oils.

Perhaps I've found an answer?

NOTE 3: There is evidence that samples containing molybdenum can give low results because molybdenum compounds are not fully recovered at the temperature of ashing.

An SDS will only give you a vague idea at best of what’s in an oil… and zero idea of how it will perform. What do you think you need it for?
I dont need a reason to ask for safety datasheet as a consumer. It should be readily available right in the product page

Back