Has Motorcraft gone to the dark side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to guess that the Dex 1 gen 2 and SN plus is the additive package all the bottlers are using.

I’m guessing by the data sheets that the Motorcraft synthetic blend does NOT meet decos 1 gen 2.

The oil gives Ford dealers that have a Quick Lane service center a proper Motorcraft oil for servicing GM vehicles.

I had someone working at a Quick Lane tell me they carried bottled DEXOS oil for the occasional GM customer. Bought a Buick Encore from a Ford dealer and am sure they had Ford semi-syn in it. Worked fine.

Originally Posted By: csandste
I had someone working at a Quick Lane tell me they carried bottled DEXOS oil for the occasional GM customer. Bought a Buick Encore from a Ford dealer and am sure they had Ford semi-syn in it. Worked fine.

They could have used another brand. I am sure of that also. Ford dealers are not required to only house Motorcraft oils.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The oil gives Ford dealers that have a Quick Lane service center a proper Motorcraft oil for servicing GM vehicles.

It seems that many folks are strange about using dealers - many think they HAVE to have the dealer do all work. You of course have those who know otherwise. That said, it seems even stranger that someone with a car from one manufacturer will take their car to a dealer for another manufacturer for work (even routine oil changes).

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

It seems that many folks are strange about using dealers - many think they HAVE to have the dealer do all work. You of course have those who know otherwise. That said, it seems even stranger that someone with a car from one manufacturer will take their car to a dealer for another manufacturer for work (even routine oil changes).

It happens, I've seen Fords, Chevys and Dodge in Toyota quick lanes before when I bought my Tacoma new and took it in for the first few free changes.

We do the same at the Ford dealership I work at. Actually even keep a few AC delco filters in stock. We have a few customers that buy and get service work done with us but are GM only people, they’d have a complete meltdown if they thought we were putting Ford/Motorcraft parts on their cars.

Motorcraft is ConocoPhillips in a different bottle, but, people don't know that. Majority of people think every brand is still a separate oil company like it was back in the 50's! Times have changed, there are no longer small mom and pop owned oil refineries anymore, same thing with small independently owned car manufacturers, AMC was the last of the independent automakers. Not sure who the last oil company was. Amsoil is independent but they are a blender, not a refiner so technically that doesn't count.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

We do the same at the Ford dealership I work at. Actually even keep a few AC delco filters in stock. We have a few customers that buy and get service work done with us but are GM only people, they’d have a complete meltdown if they thought we were putting Ford/Motorcraft parts on their cars.

Sure … used to buy lots of FL500s filters for both GM/Ford … but think Purolator started putting weak media in them …
Too bad, great design …

On fluids … Dex/Mercon are getting to be brothers from another mother …
I’m using two brands of multi ATF in GM/Ford now …

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Motorcraft is ConocoPhillips in a different bottle, but, people don't know that.

P66 also counts Honda as a customer, although most Honda dealers don't use their oil except for warranty work. Since Hendrick does own a good share of the Honda business in the US besides AutoNation, they pour Valvoline.

P66 is probably one of most underrated blenders out there - Kendall is probably their most well-known brand and I remember as a kid seeing Unocal 76 stations as a common sight in the 1980s-1990s.

dexos isn't a bad thing - it goes above and beyond API and ILSAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back