dexos 1 gen 2 and Ford WSS-M2C946-B1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Ford would want to tell you that there test is less stringent than GM's DEXOS.

IIRC Motorcraft semi syn oil has been reformulated reflecting the industry suspicions that high calcium oils propagate LSPI. Checked the oil (bottle) a while back and it noted something about turbo protection and was recommended for use the Ford turbo vehicles. Next time I'm at Wally World I'll recheck that.

Originally Posted by double vanos
IIRC Motorcraft semi syn oil has been reformulated reflecting the industry suspicions that high calcium oils propagate LSPI.

Yep, it is SN plus rated now.

I believe that instead of sweating manufacturers specifications, if you simply make sure you are buying SN+ oil and change it at a sane interval, you will be fine. The next owner of your vehicle will appreciate your efforts.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kehyler
Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone knows if dexos 1 gen 2 is a more stringent test than Ford WSS-M2C946-B1? This used to be stated here, but it was recently removed. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...205W-30%20Full%20Synthetic%20Motor%20Oil

-kehyler

99% of all D1G2 oils will meet Ford's "B1" spec. Ford recently released the B1 spec and not every oil manufacture have updated their PDS to reflect that. Many conventionals/syn-blends meet Ford's B1...99% of D1G2 oils are all full synthetic. Your over thinking this!!!

Originally Posted by 209paulc
Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone knows if dexos 1 gen 2 is a more stringent test than Ford WSS-M2C946-B1? This used to be stated here, but it was recently removed. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...205W-30%20Full%20Synthetic%20Motor%20Oil

-kehyler

99% of all D1G2 oils will meet Ford's "B1" spec. Ford recently released the B1 spec and not every oil manufacture have updated their PDS to reflect that. Many conventionals/syn-blends meet Ford's B1...99% of D1G2 oils are all full synthetic. Your over thinking this!!!

Indeed if the OP used Supertech "conventional" and changed at 5K the engine would not suffer an oil related failure. At such a short change the only thing which matters is the API SN+ cert.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Hi All,

-kehyler

Indeed if the OP used Supertech "conventional" and changed at 5K the engine would not suffer an oil related failure. At such a short change the only thing which matters is the API SN+ cert.

The only true debate should be "do i need full synthetic?"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Hi All,

-kehyler

For the miniscule price difference, why not?

Originally Posted by Brigadier

For the miniscule price difference, why not?

There would have to be a benefit. In this use there is none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back