Has anyone here removed 3m film glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I have worked in body shops 20 years, and owned one 17 years. I have unfortunately removed a lot of adhesive. My best luck was always wax and grease remover, like PPG DX330. I used the corner of a clean rag, soaked dripping wet, applied to an .

I was about to say that too, we can't get it in CA but that stuff or Prep-Sol is the gold standard for wax/grease/adhesive removers. Do it on a cool day so the solvents won't flash off as quickly. You might need to hit the adhesive with a heat gun first.

Following up with an ammoniated cleaner like Windex/Glance/Dirtex to take off the remainder isn't a bad idea.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
On our Honda's fender the 3m wrap is coming off, but leaving the adhesive behind on the paint. Has anyone here removed 3m film glue?

If what I actually did wouldn't have worked, I would have just left it on. I mean, my accord was an 06, which is 13 years old. What else am I going to do? At this stage, I'm planning on keeping it until it falls apart and having that coating on it won't make a difference at all. In fact, I took that stuff off of the hood and what was on the fenders. The front bumper, plastic, I just left it on. You can't really tell until you get close to it. I replaced the headlights because they were fading and started leaking, in that process, I had to remove that whole front cover. It was really, really easy. I had thought at that time to take it somewhere and have it re-shot, but then again...would it really matter? So, I didn't.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Originally Posted by carviewsonic
On our Honda's fender the 3m wrap is coming off, but leaving the adhesive behind on the paint. Has anyone here removed 3m film glue?

If what I actually did wouldn't have worked, I would have just left it on. I mean, my accord was an 06, which is 13 years old. What else am I going to do? At this stage, I'm planning on keeping it until it falls apart and having that coating on it won't make a difference at all. In fact, I took that stuff off of the hood and what was on the fenders. The front bumper, plastic, I just left it on. You can't really tell until you get close to it. I replaced the headlights because they were fading and started leaking, in that process, I had to remove that whole front cover. It was really, really easy. I had thought at that time to take it somewhere and have it re-shot, but then again...would it really matter? So, I didn't.

I picked up some lighter fluid and goo gone, but still haven't attempted it yet. I know once I start I'll have to keep going until it's finished, or it will look worse than it does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back