Has anyone here removed 3m film glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On our Honda's fender the 3m wrap is coming off, but leaving the adhesive behind on the paint. Has anyone here removed 3m film glue?

There are many types of 3M adhesive, but what always works for me is zippo lighter fluid. Cuts through most adhesives with no effort required.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
There are many types of 3M adhesive, but what always works for me is zippo lighter fluid. Cuts through most adhesives with no effort required.

Sounds like the kind of effectiveness that I want, rather than an all afternoon cuss fest, but is it safe for clear coat? I suppose I could try it on a small inconspicuous spot first...

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Is it on the 2007 Accord?

Yes, it's in nice shape with low kms, so I want to be careful with the paint.

I have worked in body shops 20 years, and owned one 17 years. I have unfortunately removed a lot of adhesive. My best luck was always wax and grease remover, like PPG DX330. I used the corner of a clean rag, soaked dripping wet, applied to an edge= a starting point. I always started at one end or another, never in the middle.

Let the wax/grease remover remain wet, dab it with a rag, brush it, whatever you want. It will not hurt any painted surface! Let it soak for a minute and try to scrap off at an angle with a hard Teflon type scraper. You may have to work on the soak time to figure out when to scrape it off. You might have to apply DX330 2 times before scraping off the adhesive, maybe not. You probably will have to come back and do a second pass to clean up what you did not get the first time. Don't kill yourself trying to get it all removed perfect the first time. Come back the second time with a clean rag, and its easier to do the final clean up vs. using the same nasty rag that has the bulk of the adhesive on it. The wax/grease remover should not soften the paint enough that you scratch it, as long as its OEM paint. If it has been repainted, all bets are OFF!

If you only had a small spot, you could try finger nail polish remover. It works, but its pretty weak.

Thanks KneeGrinder, I appreciate your write-up. Thanks to the rest of your as well, your suggestions are appreciated!

Originally Posted by Trav
WD40 works great and will not harm the paint.

I should try this first, since it's something I have on hand. Tomorrow after work...

You might try a heat gun to melt it a little, then use this special wheel on a drill. I used this to remove stickers from the car and it made quick work of it. I didn't have any problems with scratched paint using the wheel. One concern is using the wheel on plastic parts. You have to be very careful on plastic parts using the wheel.

strip off wheel

Originally Posted by Dan55
3M Adhesive Cleaner

This is an amazing product, and I've used almost everything.

I had to take that stuff off of my 06 Accord recently. Tried just about everything I could read about.....anything from a heat gun to spraying it down with olive oil. Nothing. What worked the best, a two step process. First, heat gun to get the actual film off. Then, using a plastic squeegee and some gloves, soak a rag in gas and soak a small area, then squeegee it off. It will leave some scratches but should buff out. That stuff was a PITA and I'll never do that again.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I had to take that stuff off of my 06 Accord recently. Tried just about everything I could read about.....anything from a heat gun to spraying it down with olive oil. Nothing. What worked the best, a two step process. First, heat gun to get the actual film off. Then, using a plastic squeegee and some gloves, soak a rag in gas and soak a small area, then squeegee it off. It will leave some scratches but should buff out. That stuff was a PITA and I'll never do that again.

This is what I was afraid of....

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Originally Posted by Reddy45

Sounds like the kind of effectiveness that I want, rather than an all afternoon cuss fest, but is it safe for clear coat? I suppose I could try it on a small inconspicuous spot first...

Won't harm clear coat, but will probably strip any wax on the surface.

Whatever you decide to use, (WD-40, etc.), a little heat (hair dryer) will help. I recently removed some OE emblem adhesive. I wasn't impressed with Goo Gone, but the added heat helped. Use a good MF or cotton cloth. It's easy to mar the paint with excessive rubbing -- especially soft Honda paint.

Goo Gone did not work very well for me. What ended up working was vegetable oil + a heat gun. It should also not be as harsh as some of the stronger solvents like gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back