Harley Davidson Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the Harley oil? Just wondered if you could get the same thing, only cheaper from someone else. I know H.D. marks it up quite a bit.

They mark it up quite a bit for sure. My buddy has the 100th ann vrod and it has to be Harley this and Harley that, only Harley oil for his baby. Im like you know harley does not make the oil right?

uh, yeah, you can get a quality oil cheaper than that!

Last edited:
I just read on one of the Amsoil sites that Sunoco makes the Harley Oil. Don't know if that is old info or it's correct. I'm sure Harley lets it out for bids to see who makes their oil for them.

Here's a UOA of Havoline 20w50 on this board in a HD 1340, I think. It faired very well.

Havoline 20w50 in HD 1340

Many of my friends are using that recently re-introduced Mobil 1 15w50. It's like $20 for a five quart jug at Wally World. If you want synthetic.

Mobil 1 15w50

There's about ten of us using Rotella 15w40 in the primary chaincase. Especially after seeing the virgin oil analysis that shows The HD Formula+ to be nothing more that a 40 wt oil with virtually no additives.

HD Formula+ Virgin Oil Analysis

Last edited:
Citgo is the present supplier of Harley oil so tell your bud he is helping support Hugo Chavez. I personally use the Mobil1 15w50 in the engine. Mobil1 synthetic gear lube in the tranny and as a previous poster stated Rotella or any HDEO in the primary. The Harley dino 20w50 is a decent oil just over priced and the Harley synthetic....well... that stuff is waaay overpriced junk. By the way the bikes I am using this in are a 06 Electra Glide Standard and a 07 Sportster 1200. Harley makes a pretty good bike but can sell some carppy oil and accessories.

Harley oil is made Citgo.There is nothing wrong with this oil,but there are better oils out there for a lower price.

Originally Posted By: hertzer
I just read on one of the Amsoil sites that Sunoco makes the Harley Oil. Don't know if that is old info or it's correct. I'm sure Harley lets it out for bids to see who makes their oil for them.

That is old info. Citgo has had the Harley contract for years.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Hey G-man welcome "back"!

Thanks. I've been extremely busy since the first of the year. And since I'm not an Admin anymore I don't "have" to be here everyday.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Dad2leia
21.gif

Not an admin anymore G-Man...what's up with that?!?

LOL.gif
I haven't been an admin for months.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Hey G-man welcome "back"!

There is only one Amsoil site. And it has nothing about who makes Harley oil (that I have seen).

Here is the site where it mentions the Harley Oil being manufactured by Sunoco. Your right, it's not an Amsoil site, but a site where you can buy Amsoil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, atleast well all agree that the Harley oil is not worth the money for the performance it delivers. The very thought of Syn3 makes me sick....and worst those folks that have to have "everything Harley" from the oil to the leathers.

Well, I've kind of been on leave from this site as well G-Man. Hope you're enjoy "having no responsibilities whatsoever"!!!

To get back on topic, I too have heard through the grapevine 'round my neck of the woods that Harley oil is way overpriced and underengineered.

Originally Posted By: Dad2leia
Well, I've kind of been on leave from this site as well G-Man. Hope you're enjoy "having no responsibilities whatsoever"!!!

To get back on topic, I too have heard through the grapevine 'round my neck of the woods that Harley oil is way overpriced and underengineered.

Their Syn3 is a decent oil, just over priced. If you look at the MSDS, it's really a syn blend with a healthy dose of bright stock (Group I) in the base oil blend.

FWIW, today I looked at a whole pallet of 55gal drums of HD 360 oil and all the labels and paper work with it. Nowhere could I find the origin of the oil other than "made for h-d". Must be a well kept secret, LOL.

Change the name: H-D, Honda, Yamalube, Kawasaki. All the branded oils will work. All are over-priced. These oils are branded and offered to customers that aren't educated in lubrication, because it's another way to transfer money from the customer's pocket into the dealership's registers.

Like Titan said manufactures brand name oil is good,but there is pleanty of m.c. oil that is cheaper and better.

Agree that the oem oil's are overpriced and may not be anything special, and for the most part I don't use them either. BUT, say your on a new engine development team and have ran all the hours of durability testing. Some of which is pretty extreme, like 300hrs wide open full load. And you did this testing with oem brand oil. Would it be out of line to recommend it?

Or if during the proving it was found that the engine couldn't pass a certain test. Working with an lubricant company you find a solution that is cheaper than a parts redesign. Then you recommend it to the owners. I know this has happened in at least case.

AGAIN, I'm not saying other oils are not as good, just something to think about. A friend that works for FMC says in some applications anything but oem is an "experiment".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back