Harley Davidson Lithium LiFe 6Ah Battery 66000174

I would say its safe to say if one is concerned about weight, lithium is king.
For me, my first and only choice is the 500 AMP Yuasa simply because it has a much greater (stores much more energy) reserve capacity.

The Lithium has 6 A/H and the lead acid Yuasa has 32 A/H that's over 500% more reserve. Since I have a bike that is as heavy as a tank, I prefer the lead acid.
AS far as cranking AMPS its another "fluff" number from a lot of motorcycle battery sellers. Bottom line the Yuasa is rated using a standard accepted rating method of CCA which is 500.
This lithium to compared has a similar rating of 250/275

I do understand this is for a softtail and I am talking Road King
So the HD lithium for a Road King has 8AH of power and roughly 350CCA (translating HD non standard method of rating the battery)
The Yuasa has 32AH of power and 500CCA.

Its all good, if weight is king and not cost. Because the lead acid is much more powerful at lower cost.
Technology is cool, its whatever one looks for what is good for them.

I only point the above out for those talking about power, as they need to look at the real numbers and the unorthodox way they rate these batteries which makes then sound as powerful as lead acid batteries of which many like Yuasa use accepted standard ratings.
This also goes for some lead acid batteries sold as motorcycle and powersports, its like the Wild West with misleading information, at least Harley Davidson FULLY discloses this information and its easy to compare.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/lithium-life-8ah-battery

^^ the third photo on this page fully discloses the HD battery ratings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by GMBoy
How much for that battery? That is the question I ask. I've got a softail and an Ultra Classic running AGM's trouble free and I assume HD is raping on the price.

$249.95....."excluding the optional hardware mounting kit for some models".
shocked2.gif

The battery is widely available from discount dealers, including the one I bought it from.

No arguing it is an expensive battery (HD AGMs are not cheap either) I'm also sure that you can find similar aftermarket batteries for much less They may or may not be exactly the same battery, certainly I found several with similar testers built in.

If you're price sensitive, it isn't for you.

I am not price sensitive at all, just not going to give away money to a harley dealer for something overpriced I can get elsewhere.

^^Good post^^. The same reasons I don't buy anything brand name for a Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha. False sense of security that I'm getting anything better than I can find elsewhere for a lot less. Still don't understand going with brand-name thinking somehow it's a better deal. Unless there's some fantastic warranty or backing provided by the manufacturer that would save me money in the long run. Not!

Originally Posted by Bonz
^^Good post^^. The same reasons I don't buy anything brand name for a Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha. False sense of security that I'm getting anything better than I can find elsewhere for a lot less. Still don't understand going with brand-name thinking somehow it's a better deal. Unless there's some fantastic warranty or backing provided by the manufacturer that would save me money in the long run. Not!

Totally agree and add that Harley doesn't make the battery or any parts, they are just labeled as such. That same HD battery is available w/o the name for less. Same for GM parts and all the rest. Just relabeled parts with markup.

I am at the point where I am about to give up on Harley. They have just gone downhill, don't support older models like they used to and prices are out of line in my opinion. I have ridden and owned HD's since 1984. Today's HD has forgotten their roots. End of rant lol

Last edited:

Totally agree and add that Harley doesn't make the battery or any parts, they are just labeled as such. That same HD battery is available w/o the name for less. Same for GM parts and all the rest. Just relabeled parts with markup.

I am at the point where I am about to give up on Harley. They have just gone downhill, don't support older models like they used to and prices are out of line in my opinion. I have ridden and owned HD's since 1984. Today's HD has forgotten their roots. End of rant lol

I notice the "1984" like everything, sooner or later people wish to change to something different and companies adjust to the "new" buyers or those companies would cease to exist. What was, was good for the times, buyers look for something different now and have different criteria.

I dont know any other heavy cruiser meant for interstate travel on the market with the perceived build, quality components, paint, steel and plastics, right down to the cables and brake lines other then a Harley.
I would say there is also Indian for those who go that route but that is it and Indian has a tiny market share and their heavy cruisers are price no different then Harley.
So nothing much as changed EXCEPT Harleys are more reliable and look better then ever in its history. The new generation doesn't want to work on their bike, they want to go ride and HD reliability gets them there in class.

I only say this because I too was a "metric" guy until I bought my first brand new 2014 Road king at the time. I expected to have issues, break downs, heck I ever bought an extended warranty for the first time in my life on any product.
Well, I wasted my money because I never had to use the warranty and here we are in 2020, it expires in a few months and nothing, not one thing broke down or broke on the bike in 6 years and getting close to 28,000 miles. Never a warranty repair and the darn bike runs, dare I say? Better then new, freaking thing always amazes me, just love it.
No kidding we were out last weekend and even my wife, on the back, comments, here we are six years later, how smooth the bike is.
I do fear the day may come that Harley is bought up by some huge company, it is then that I will think, the good old days will be done, once its no longer just Harley.
(and now I will end this because once again off topic but just HAD to reply *LOL*)

Last edited:
Totally agree and add that Harley doesn't make the battery or any parts, they are just labeled as such. That same HD battery is available w/o the name for less. ...

Do tell.

I assume you can back up the fact it is the "same". Also that it includes the proper tray so that it fits properly.

looks like a repackaged Shido battery (skyrich over in the US?)

It will have a BMS as nearly all LFP these days do.

I would treat 6Ah as being a lead equivalent unless clearly stated otherwise. The tru Ah would be around 2.4Ah so be carefull about parasitic drains.

If this type of battery is not EOM, then check the charging voltage your bike puts out. LFP's are very sensitive to over & under charging

Originally Posted by alarmguy

I notice the "1984" like everything, sooner or later people wish to change to something different and companies adjust to the "new" buyers or those companies would cease to exist. What was, was good for the times, buyers look for something different now and have different criteria.

I dont know any other heavy cruiser meant for interstate travel on the market with the perceived build, quality components, paint, steel and plastics, right down to the cables and brake lines other then a Harley.
I would say there is also Indian for those who go that route but that is it and Indian has a tiny market share and their heavy cruisers are price no different then Harley.
So nothing much as changed EXCEPT Harleys are more reliable and look better then ever in its history. The new generation doesn't want to work on their bike, they want to go ride and HD reliability gets them there in class.

I only say this because I too was a "metric" guy until I bought my first brand new 2014 Road king at the time. I expected to have issues, break downs, heck I ever bought an extended warranty for the first time in my life on any product.
Well, I wasted my money because I never had to use the warranty and here we are in 2020, it expires in a few months and nothing, not one thing broke down or broke on the bike in 6 years and getting close to 28,000 miles. Never a warranty repair and the darn bike runs, dare I say? Better then new, freaking thing always amazes me, just love it.
No kidding we were out last weekend and even my wife, on the back, comments, here we are six years later, how smooth the bike is.
I do fear the day may come that Harley is bought up by some huge company, it is then that I will think, the good old days will be done, once its no longer just Harley.
(and now I will end this because once again off topic but just HAD to reply *LOL*)

Good post. I actually do own a Softail Deuce and an Ultra Classic. I just don't plan on buying another Harley in the forseeable future. I will hold on to mine. One is for cruising and is custom and loud while the other is for touring in comfort. They both have been reliable, even my 1st bike (84 Ironhead Sporty) was reliable.

Originally Posted by bonjo
looks like a repackaged Shido battery (skyrich over in the US?)

Terminals are clearly different...

HD Battery as already mentioned had Bosch on it, Bosch branded Motorcycle batteries do not appear to be widely available here in the US. AFAIK Exide makes most Bosch branded automotive batteries over here.

Originally Posted by bonjo
It will have a BMS as nearly all LFP these days do.

I would treat 6Ah as being a lead equivalent unless clearly stated otherwise. The tru Ah would be around 2.4Ah so be carefull about parasitic drains.

If this type of battery is not EOM, then check the charging voltage your bike puts out. LFP's are very sensitive to over & under charging

This is what I mean when I say an identical battery may or may not be available.

People can say what they will, but Harley would not sell a battery as application specific if it wouldn't work with the charging system in that application. It may be that it isn't an issue, or it may be that they specified some particular modification to their battery that makes it not an issue.

Without test equipment, time and knowledge (and probably at least one sample of each you can destroy) you will never know if they are identical or not. You may suppose they appear so, and you may or may not be correct.

No different than a Honda A02 oil filter and a Fram TG. They are quite similar, obviously the paint is different... cut the two open theres only one obvious difference, but we have it on good authority and via a test done by another filter maker that the efficiency is quite different which you would never know by sight.

I did some internet searching and really can't find another lithium battery that is a sure alternative to this one. Not saying there's not one but I I haven't seen it.

I think for the Japanese bikes it might be a simpler statement to make that there are other options. But not necessarily this Harley.

(short note) GMboy, I dont foresee me buying another HD cruiser either in the foreseeable future. Not sure why, just not motivated, I guess safe to say I am not comfortable spending over 20k for a bike again to watch it depreciate I am not a brand specific person on anything and honestly, wouldn't mind trying a Goldwing as they can be picked up for a song and dance, even new, not the full dresser model but more stripped down, however Wife *L* wont hear of it. Loves the RK.

Agree with duckrider, Harley would not be selling a Lithium battery, specific to model, if it wouldn't work with the charging system and going lithium, why chance it on some obscure aftermarket brand when the manufacturer is offering their own?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
(short note) GMboy, I dont foresee me buying another HD cruiser either in the foreseeable future. Not sure why, just not motivated, I guess safe to say I am not comfortable spending over 20k for a bike again to watch it depreciate I am not a brand specific person on anything and honestly, wouldn't mind trying a Goldwing as they can be picked up for a song and dance, even new, not the full dresser model but more stripped down, however Wife *L* wont hear of it. Loves the RK.

Agree with duckrider, Harley would not be selling a Lithium battery, specific to model, if it wouldn't work with the charging system and going lithium, why chance it on some obscure aftermarket brand when the manufacturer is offering their own?

I have ridden on long trips with a group of folks, mixed bikes and I could not keep up with the Goldwing on my Ultra Classic. We were in deep Texas running 85mph and I was pushing hard while the Goldwing was not breaking a sweat. The difference of air cooled vs water-cooled in July in Texas was apparant. The Goldwing also has reverse!

I guess that ultra classic has a lot of weight to it, then again so does the GW. TO be honest, my 14 Road King can do a true GPS 85 all day long without breaking a sweat even 2up (we dont weigh a lot) and luggage, heck, I put the cruise control on and honestly dont even need to hold the hand bars (but I do) more or less keep my fingers resting on top of the handle bars. We have about the same temperatures in July its not uncommon to hit daily highs around 100.
I like the F6B and would love to ride one day to see what it is like. It would have to be the 6th speed, would never settle for the older 5. Our roads, like you, too fast here for anything less.

Last edited:
you have US made earthX, shorai.

I use Aliant (made in italy) very good ah ratings

You find if you do some digging, the main m/c lithium batteries production is in china and lebelled for different brands.

Last edited:
Back