Harley Behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 99% of all HD riders, it's not about the bike itself, it's all about the image. If it was about the bike, they'd all be riding Japanese cruisers.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
As much as I've tried to avoid getting involved in this thread I have to say that the vast majority Harley people live in their imaginary little bubble where everything HD is right with the world and everything else is wrong. Therefore they are entitled to extreme embellishment simply because reality doesn't matter if you ride a Harley.

....nevermind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZGRider

No way a 2-valve, pushrod, air-cooled engine is going to out-perform a 4-valve, OHC, liquid-cooled engine with GSXR slipper pistons. The Japanese don't just copy Harleys, they dominate them performance-wise.

Although they aren't 2 valve motors, Harley V-Twins are practically dominating NHRA Pro Stock Bike these days.

The absolute truth did a 5,000+ trip this summer and seen motorcycles from all over. Everything from Goldwing’s and K1200 LT’s to bikes that I was shocked were still on the road. Stayed at the Yellowstone Lake hotel and in the parking lot one morning I was shocked at the bikes and the states that they were from. These people are true motorcycle riders and that is what is important.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

No way a 2-valve, pushrod, air-cooled engine is going to out-perform a 4-valve, OHC, liquid-cooled engine with GSXR slipper pistons. The Japanese don't just copy Harleys, they dominate them performance-wise.

Although they aren't 2 valve motors, Harley V-Twins are practically dominating NHRA Pro Stock Bike these days.

Again Drew, you Harley guys don't know what you are talking about. Those hand-built, one-off, billet casing V-ROD engines are racing agaist 1980-era Suzuki GS-1000 engines which are limited to original, sand-cast crankcase casings, and air-cooled, technology. If those Harleys had to race against the modern Japanese bikes there would be no contest. That's why they always have to the rules changed in their favor -- uncompetitive. Just like AMA Flat-track racing -- rules have been changed so many times that they almost say that the bike has to be produced by Harley to be raced.

You don't see Harley racing in Moto-GP, World Superbike, off-road or anything else -- only where the AMA will protect their "old-tech" hardware.

Do your research before you make comments if you please.

Again Drew, you Harley guys don't know what you are talking about.

Us Harley guys? I've never even thrown my legs over A MOTORCYCLE!

And your assertion that the S&S Harley is a custom race engine and the inline 4 Japanese engines are stock p.o.s.es is laughable.

Just admit it. A Harley engine can, and does beat a Japanese bike in 1 form of motor sport!

The only thing you've added to this website in the past month is a plethora of post dumping on Harley Davidson and the people who ride them.

The Gym teacher at one of the school's my mom used to work at was a died in the wool BIKER - ZZ-top beard, leather, LOUD PIPES, you know, one of those generally bad people you like to degrade. He's one awards for the best gym teacher in the state of Colorado several times and is generally one of the best people I've ever met.

We've had more the enough examples of harley biker rides benefiting a plethora of good causes.

Each segment of the American motorcycle community has good apples and bad apples. We understand your hatred for Harley Davidson and the people who ride them. You've made your point!

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
For 99% of all HD riders, it's not about the bike itself, it's all about the image. If it was about the bike, they'd all be riding Japanese cruisers.

You've got it exactly backwards. A huge majority of motorcyclists ride the brand they do because they like the machine and are definitely not trying to project any sort of image. You would be surprised at the number of Harley owners who also own Japanese, Italian and German machines.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1

You've got it exactly backwards. A huge majority of motorcyclists ride the brand they do because they like the machine and are definitely not trying to project any sort of image. You would be surprised at the number of Harley owners who also own Japanese, Italian and German machines.

There are those guys, but I think bigbirds numbers are closer to reality.

This discussion reminds me of the late 60s early 70s when Yamaha was such a dominant force in every event they entered that the competition (mostly British, German and Italian manufacturers) whined until the sanctioning bodies changed the rules by limiting, displacement, number of cylinders etc. Despite the rules changes limiting the Yamaha entries, they managed to overcome and continued to dominate the sport (not unlike Toyota is beginning to do in NASCAR today). Finally, it got so bad that they set up a racing venue where Yamaha was not invited. That's right. They were effectively banned.

So, as you say ZG, if you whittle the rules enough in favour of one brand, even a Harley can win.

What I find real funny is that the "You don't understand" defence seems to diminish somewhat when the occasional over-the-top HD fanatic actually thinks that he/she has a stock Harley that even has a chance, performance wise, against virtually anything with two wheels and a motor. What ever happened to "It's not a speed thing." We don't buy Harleys because they're fast. That's not what it's about." But here's a guy who seems to believe what he's saying and hoping that we do too. The fantasy lives on......

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Again Drew, you Harley guys don't know what you are talking about.

Us Harley guys? I've never even thrown my legs over A MOTORCYCLE!

And your assertion that the S&S Harley is a custom race engine and the inline 4 Japanese engines are stock p.o.s.es is laughable.

Just admit it. A Harley engine can, and does beat a Japanese bike in 1 form of motor sport!

The only thing you've added to this website in the past month is a plethora of post dumping on Harley Davidson and the people who ride them.

The Gym teacher at one of the school's my mom used to work at was a died in the wool BIKER - ZZ-top beard, leather, LOUD PIPES, you know, one of those generally bad people you like to degrade. He's one awards for the best gym teacher in the state of Colorado several times and is generally one of the best people I've ever met.

We've had more the enough examples of harley biker rides benefiting a plethora of good causes.

Each segment of the American motorcycle community has good apples and bad apples. We understand your hatred for Harley Davidson and the people who ride them. You've made your point!

I never said that Harleys were not decent bikes -- just that they are NOT performance competitive to similar Japanese bikes. BTW, if the rules are structured just so... a Briggs and Stratton-engined motorcycle COULD beat a Japanese motorcycle but it ain't apples and apples now is it? So, if your non-motorcycle riding person thinks it is equal for a hand-built, modern V-Rod powered dragster to compete against a 30-year old, severely limited Japanese motorcycle, then I guess I will submit to your superior intellect.

Oh yeah, if you don't like hearing that Harleys are inferior performance-wise to Asian motorcycles, maybe you could build a better one yourself?

"impossible" wow, I can't remember the last time I was called a liar, even on the Internet. I know exactly what size my engine is because I picked out the pistons and cylinders. For the record, its puts out 105HP/109TQ AT THE TIRE. No FI, no Turbo, No Nitrous, No supercharger. I guess that's the great thing about Harleys, the impossible becomes reality. It idles at the stock setting and pulls down almost 50-MPG on the highway.

If you don't think its possible, perhaps YOU should check:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hplist_twin_cam.htm

I haven't seen my dyno sheet for over 3 years but I'm looking for it. I haven't needed it since because once someone rides next to me they know I don't need to exaggerate.

Grampi, I seem to remember you mentioning something about being near the Chicago area, perhaps you'd like to "step-up" to a friendly real-life head-to-head comparison???

I have a buddy who used to ride a metric cruiser. Bought a Sportster and was heckled out of the donut shop by the true believers. So, in desperation to be accepted into the fold he bought a big Harley. Acceptance at last. Now, he's on the Koolaid hard. Got the beanie helmet, fingerless gloves, sleeveless vest and now, the ultimate.... wait for it.....a$$less leather pants. The ultimate in "don we now or gay apparel"... He seems to be drawn to the Harley shop like a moth to a light. Every time he goes, he walks out with another expensive genuine Chinese manufactured HD accessory. Just the kind of guy they like. Oh yeah, he's a hard core biker too. I think he put almost a thousand miles on it in the last two years.

Originally Posted By: cfromc
"impossible" wow, I can't remember the last time I was called a liar, even on the Internet. I know exactly what size my engine is because I picked out the pistons and cylinders. For the record, its puts out 105HP/109TQ AT THE TIRE. No FI, no Turbo, No Nitrous, No supercharger. I guess that's the great thing about Harleys, the impossible becomes reality. It idles at the stock setting and pulls down almost 50-MPG on the highway.

I haven't seen my dyno sheet for over 3 years but I'm looking for it. I haven't needed it since because once someone rides next to me they know I don't need to exaggerate.

WOW, xtremely modified Harley TC engine VS. stock Suzuki M109? You ought to say that your HD has about $15000 in engine mods when you compare it to others or we might assume it is stock HD

Well, you ought to be proud of yourself -- you managed to spend your way to performance that you could have had for much less -- wise to say the least. Just shows what some will do to ride THE BRAND and brag too. Hats off to you.

Oh yeah cfromc:

I have the Iron Butt- Bun Burner 1500 Gold badge on my jacket, do you? That's 1500 miles in 24 hrs if you didn't know.

I wonder if your modified RK could do that mileage and not blow up?

WOW, xtremely modified Harley TC engine VS. stock Suzuki M109? You ought to say that your HD has about $15000 in engine mods when you compare it to others or we might assume it is stock HD

Well, you ought to be proud of yourself -- you managed to spend your way to performance that you could have had for much less -- wise to say the least. Just shows what some will do to ride THE BRAND and brag too. Hats off to you.

Yawn...you're responses have been boringly predictable, along with grampi's and borat's. I never said it was stock and I spent about $5K, not $15K. Get your facts straight...oops, I forgot, you never asked what the facts were. I had no interest in buying a Suzuki 109 so I got what I wanted instead. To me, its not about saving a few bucks then getting something I would not be proud to ride. I got what a wanted and I'm happy to have it.

The funny thing is that my Sportster is even faster, oh...its not stock either but I've had it for 13 years and people still think its new. I take pride in it and keep it up and would only sell it in an emergency to feed my family. I guess in the end Harley riders have a connection with their machine that you will never understand.

When I find my dyno sheet I'll post it, but otherwise I think I'm done with the Harley-bashing threads.

Oh yeah cfromc:

I have the Iron Butt- Bun Burner 1500 Gold badge on my jacket, do you? That's 1500 miles in 24 hrs if you didn't know.

I wonder if your modified RK could do that mileage and not blow up?

Sturgis and back, Ohio and back. The bike will do it however I have little interest in doing 1,500 miles in 24 hours. Hats off to you. I think it takes a certain kind of person to achieve that. After about 7-8 hours straight it is no longer fun for me.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What gets me is the myth that "loud pipes save lives". Yes I ride and I fear what's in FRONT of me, cars coming in from the side not really looking etc. Exhaust shoots to the REAR. Anything loud enough to be antagonizing dehumanizes the rider and causes even less respect from the cagers.

agreed +1

Grampi, I seem to remember you mentioning something about being near the Chicago area, perhaps you'd like to "step-up" to a friendly real-life head-to-head comparison???

I'd be glad to. Better bring along some tissues, you're gonna need 'em when you get dusted by a bike that cost 1/3 of what you've got into your RK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

I'd be glad to. Better bring along some tissues, you're gonna need 'em when you get dusted by a bike that cost 1/3 of what you've got into your RK.

What are we back in high school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back