Hardest Things To Do In Life

I had to tell my father who was in the hospital for something supposedly minor that his only surviving brother just died in another hospital.

I fondly remember as a kid his brother always said when its time for him to go he will be taking my father with him... Said that for at least 50 years..

Four days later my father dies in the hospital as well...he was only in there for a kidney stone...dies from a rare stomach cancer nobody knew of.....

"Pulling the plug, infidelity in your face and medical death blows on one hand versus telling a kid he/she can't have a motorcycle on the other makes for a broad spectrum.

Life is full of hard and easier stuff.

Took care of my mom for the last month of her life. My sister and I swapped 24h shifts as she was bedridden. The oncologist gave her 2-6 weeks to live on 15 February and she passed on 14 March, so pretty much right in the middle of the range.
Since I had a complex relationship with Mom, it was harder. I did it for two reasons. First, it was the right thing to do, so that was mostly for me if I'm honest. Second, it gave her a death with dignity. She got to pass away in her home and not in some institution alone with strange surroundings.

Annette-Angler.jpeg

Catch your wife in the act with another man and not kill anybody...or even hurt them
Well, got her phone and e-mail data, so close to the same thing.
I did have that happen with a college girlfriend, but the stakes are not as high and it was good that I caught her then. Bottom line, I'm trying to say I feel where you've been.

I had to make the decision to let my dad go a while back.

My pop (step-pop, but was there my whole life, so, really my second dad) was explicitly clear about how much he hates hospitals and how we should pull the plug immediately, even if he MIGHT make it, but with little to know standard of living.

We’ll, he had a massive aneurism and my family fought me about letting him go. The Dr said he had a near-zero chance of recovery, yet they still wanted to wait. I had to be a total ass and shut them down with their selfish need to keep him plugged in.

When we finally made the decision to let him go it was late at night. The Dr said he might be able to breath on his own for at least through the night and maybe up to a few days, so everyone but my mom and I lingered. Yea, right. He started convulsing and struggling to breath soon after most of my family left. He then threw up a lot of redish foam and then died. It was pretty traumatic.

Back