Hard Boiled Egg Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might sound trivial to some, but this is how we learn. I have my own way of boiling eggs. But, like any other food, there's always room for improvement. Sometimes.
I know my way around the kitchen okay, and am always looking for recipes. So, I want to read how YOU boil the PERFECT hard boiled egg. From beginning to end (pan to peeling it/them).
I had Albacore tuna fish and hard boiled eggs (mixed) sammiches for supper tonight. I have an awesome recipe for this I will share some other time.
Anyway, let's see those HBE recipes!
smile.gif

Eggs go in the pot with enough water to cover up + an inch. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook 10 minutes. Rinse immediately in cold water. Bright yellow, fully cooked yolks every time without any of the grayness that can happen if you leave them on longer.

Steam them in a sealed vegetable steamer for EXACTLY 14 minutes. Begin counting when the water boils beneath them. Pull the pot immediately from the heat and run cold tap water over the eggs. They come out perfect in every way - peel completely rolls off, they're not rubbery, and the yolk doesn't have a gray ring.

Eggs into sauce pan; water to cover plus one inch. Cover with lid. Bring to high simmer/near boil. Turn off and let sit for 15 mins. Rinse with cold water and place in ice bath for about ten minutes. Crack & peel. Result is no cracks in eggs due to the boiling process.

Enough water to cover the eggs. Bring to a rolling boil for 3 minutes, turn off the heat and let eggs stand for 10 minutes on the stove still covered. I pour half the hot water out while running cool tap water into the pot for peeling. Perfect HBE with no grey.

I find that putting the eggs into nearly boiling water makes the eggs much easier to peel. Get water to a point before it starts to boil, then put eggs in, turn off the heat completely and cover the pot for 15 min. Drain, and cool the eggs with cold water.

Punch a hole in egg with an old sewing needle. Place in a pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and wait 15 minutes. Drop eggs one at a time into cold water, let sit for 10 seconds then crack and roll between hands. The shell almost always peels right off.

Originally Posted by Cadenza
Steam them in a sealed vegetable steamer for EXACTLY 14 minutes. Begin counting when the water boils beneath them. Pull the pot immediately from the heat and run cold tap water over the eggs. They come out perfect in every way - peel completely rolls off, they're not rubbery, and the yolk doesn't have a gray ring.

This recipe I find very interesting.
Is that a container with holes in it, that sits inside of a pot, just above the water? And, there is a lid for it as well, right?

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

Is that a container with holes in it, that sits inside of a pot, just above the water? And, there is a lid for it as well, right?

Something like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Ha...9bOu7urXqf8K1e84bsRUYMokKNRoCK4UQAvD_BwE

Originally Posted by Oldtom
Punch a hole in egg with an old sewing needle. Place in a pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and wait 15 minutes. Drop eggs one at a time into cold water, let sit for 10 seconds then crack and roll between hands. The shell almost always peels right off.

Why punch a hole? To relieve the air?

Something like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Ha...9bOu7urXqf8K1e84bsRUYMokKNRoCK4UQAvD_BwE

This works, too, and is even less expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Steamer-Stainless-Vegetable-Folding-Expandable/dp/B06Y4MCKFM

Make it easy on yourself:

Eggs into cold water, bring to boil and turn off the stove. Let them cool to room temperature in the water.

Originally Posted by benhen77
Eggs go in the pot with enough water to cover up + an inch. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, [after about 30 seconds, cover and shut off heat] cook 10 minutes. Rinse immediately in cold water. Bright yellow, fully cooked yolks every time without any of the grayness that can happen if you leave them on longer.
Assuming this is an electric stove. Also, farm fresh eggs ftw. At the very minimum, EB.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
Eggs into sauce pan; water to cover plus one inch. Cover with lid. Bring to high simmer/near boil. Turn off and let sit for 15 mins. Rinse with cold water and place in ice bath for about ten minutes. Crack & peel. Result is no cracks in eggs due to the boiling process.

This is how I do mine. Never a problem with getting the shells off. Well, almost never a problem. I like deviled eggs, so mash the yolks and then mix in horseradish mustard, mayo, cholula hot sauce, salt and pepper, then blend well. Whole family loves them.

My grandmother used to make me tuna and egg salad sandwiches when I was a kid. Loved them and still do. My wife runs the other way when she sees me making them.

That deviled egg recipe above looks killer. Going to try that.

After they have cooked, I drain the water, and then shake the eggs in a back and forth motion in the pot. Then let them soak in an ice bath. Shaking the eggs causes cracks all over them. Water seeps in the cracks, and most of the time the eggs are easy to peel.

My family and I love pickled eggs, so I make a half gallon at a time. It's a tedious chore especially if the eggs are hard to peel.

If your eggs are hard to peel, they are too fresh.

I have chickens and any eggs I plan to hard boil get ‘aged' for a few weeks. Fresh eggs are near impossible to peel, the membrane needs to time in the egg to separate from the shell (which allows that nice, easy peeling). Aged, they peel easily regardless of cook method. So if you plan to cook up some eggs, try to find the older stock at the grocery store or let them age a week or so in your fridge before you cook them if you can.

For me, I simply put eggs in cold water, bring to a boil for about 5min, cut heat and let sit 5 min before putting into an ice bath. Yolk should be bright yellow, no brown/green color on the outside of the yolk (overcooked).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xBa380
If your eggs are hard to peel, they are too fresh.

This is true. On the upside, if they're hard to peel at least you know they're fresh
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy

This is how I do mine. Never a problem with getting the shells off. Well, almost never a problem. I like deviled eggs, so mash the yolks and then mix in horseradish mustard, mayo, cholula hot sauce, salt and pepper, then blend well. Whole family loves them.

This is how I do it when using the stove but I eat them so frequently I bought an egg steamer from Amazon. Perfect every time and it shuts off automatically.

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Cuisine-EGC-508-Hard-Boiled-Stainless/dp/B06XTJQN2X/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back