Hard and easy vehiles to change oil on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am shocked how easy it is to change oil in my F250 with 460 motor. I can easily crawl under there.

I also changed oil on my chevy caprice - harder, the car has to be raised. once raised, it is easy.

Also subaru loyale. Pretty easy. raised or not.

I got this Ford tempo and haven't changed the oil yet - the filter looks a bit more difficult to access. but probably not hard.

I started changing the fluids pretty recently, only 1 year thus far. Wish i had done it earler, it is so much fun and you get in-tune with your vehicle and soon do other good things to it, too.

I hear there are vehicles where oil changing is a b1tch. Mostly newer.

I used to have a 78 Toyota Celica, could drain the oil without jacking the car up, and could change the filter by just reaching under the intake manifold.

My mother's 92 saturn is a PITA. When you take the oil filter off, oil drains all over the crossmember, and you have to wipe the entire underside off (as well as the driveway).

My brother has a 2000 VW Golf with the 2.0 gas engine. The oil filter is not easy to reach without taking off the splash guard and taking it off from underneath the car, which takes a while. -Joe

Check this....1976 Chevy Monza with the V8. Motor mounts OFF and engine lifted about 2 inches to get to the filter. No wonder Dad was inventing newer cuss words every 3 to 4 months.
grin.gif

96 Ford Explorer w/ 4 liter pushrod V-6, oil easy but filter always leaked oil everyhwhere due to angle and having to tilt to remove. Zip Lock bag helped.

93 Bonneville 3.8 Sc engine, had to jack up to clear container, then Oil easy, Filter ackward, Zip Lock again.

03 Hemi Ram very easy if you have a big drain pan 7 1/2 qts w Ford filter and due to volume it comes out with some force, without moving, I can reach up and unscrew the vertically mounted oil filter and remove it without tilting. Zip lock out of habit.

oo suzuki swift, can reach the filter, and drain plug by reaching under the bumper no need to jack up. worst my 01 tacoma, hard to get filter that drains all over the x-member. plus i cant get to the auto trans dipstick, i would need hands and arms like e.t.
wink.gif

The absolute worst cars that I've changed filters on have been the two Hondas I owned (84 Prelude and 96 Civic) a few years ago. The filters were on the back of the engines and tilted in a way that assured a spillage of hot oil on you. In comparison, changing the oil on the 5 Nissans we've had was very easy and you don't need to jack the car/truck up (even on a Sentra).

Yeah, Nissans are pretty easy. With a 99 Infiniti I30 (Nissan Maxima), there no need to jack the car. Just turn the wheel to the right and just behind an easy to remove cover are the oil and oil filter close enough together so that you don't have to move your oil pan if you want to remove the oil filter while the oil drains. Also if you remove the oil filter carefully, there is a very simple drain way for it to drain straight down.

86 Grand Prix 3.8L - Filter on the front of the engine, could get it from the top - easy.
90 Mustang 5.0L - pretty easy, filter on the side of the engine, but two drain plugs.
96 Grand Cherokee 5.2L - Pretty easy, have to get the filter from the bottom and you get oil all over your arm when you pull it off.
97 Camaro 5.7L - Have to jack up one side of the car to get plug and filter, otherwise pretty easy.
2000 Volvo V40 1.9L - Canister filter is VERY messy and the filter and plug are not close to each other - somewhat difficult.

My wife's old Corsica 3.1 any skinny stranger could come along and maintain, without jacking it up. Filter was on front passenger side of oil pan, drain was a bit of a reach. The hood release broke so I figured out how to get at it behind the grill.

If anyone knows someone with a poorly kept corsica that would give the "perfect bad UOA" here's how you can get a sample at midnight without them knowing.
smile.gif

90 integra is a pain. car must be jacked up and filter accessed from underneath. then you gotta REACH up to get it-with a warm engine. unscrew the filter and get hot oil runnin down your arm.

99 voyager minivan 3.3 is a breeze. can reach pan bolt and filter without raising car.

My F150 and F250 are a breeze to deal with. My soon-to-be wife has an Expedition that is a real pain to get to the oil filter.

Toyota Corollas are about the easiest. Drain pan clears without raising front end. Reach down under the exhaust manifold from the top to acces filter. And the drain plug is on the front part of the oil pan. So easy a child could do it. And, there is no regular chassis lubrication required
cheers.gif

While at a Toyota dealership yesterday, I looked at a new 4Runner with the 4.0. To my amazement, the filter is located on the upper, front, drivers side of the engine, easily accessable by just reaching into the bay. Better yet, there is a lip around the filter mount base to catch the excess oil from the filter and a hole to drain it away!
shocked.gif
I don't know where the drain plug is located since I didn't want to start crawling under the truck in the showroom lobby
grin.gif

Wife's '96 Blazer, with V-6 is a real pain. The oil filter is behind a plastic door below the front bumper. You don't get much of a throw on the filter wrench.

My new Duramax looks real easy. Will be real easy after the Fumoto drain valve is installed.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
While at a Toyota dealership yesterday, I looked at a new 4Runner with the 4.0. To my amazement, the filter is located on the upper, front, drivers side of the engine, easily accessable by just reaching into the bay.

Perhaps they are responding to complaints from grumpy owners of 3vze V6 pickups and 4runners. The oil filter on my '93 4x4 PU is a pain to get at. Need to come at it through the splash guard on the drivers's side wheel well, then bend your arm in one more place than 'twas intended. Good truck otherwise though.

1994-2002 Saab 900s and 9-3s are a piece of cake. Filter is up front behind the bumper, easily accessible from below. No lift or ramps required for an oil change-- at least for someone like me with long arms.

My '93 SHO has the filter on top of the starter which guarantees the starter will be lubed every time. But the drain plug is in the rear of the pan so you do not have to lower the car to get all the oil out.

My '97 SHO has a straight up and down oil filter and is very easy to get to but the plug is on the side of the pan so you have to lower it to get all the oil out.

My Festiva has the filter on the back of the engine which is easy to get to and the plug is on the side of the pan.

cool.gif
Worst: 79 T-Bird 351, plug was aimed at the crossmember and oil would spray everywhere until half of it was gone. My uncle's car, I only did it the one time.

Easy: I had a Tempo once, filter was easy to get to from the top. My old Ranger 3.0 had a handy funnel bolted to the side of the block under the filter with a hose you could aim at the drain pan. My new Ranger 4.0 SOHC is pretty easy. Had to buy a claw-type filter wrench though, easy to reach but no way to get a strap-type around it. 85 Mustang 2.3 was easy (detecting a pattern here?).

I used to have an 87 Nissan Maxima. Oil plug was fairly easy to get to but the filter on the crossways V6 was in such a bad place that I could only change it with a cold motor. The exhaust pipe was made to be unbolted & moved if the motor was hot so you could get to the filter without burning yourself up.
mad.gif

Probably the easiest was an old 1972 piece of crap Vega Gt or maybe the 1980 Mazda RX7.

Les

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back