Happy Boxing Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...and the best part is wall-to-wall football matches, and Everton beat Manchester City!

Love seeing a hard-working, low wage team beat City and their over paid, arrogant group of has beens.

Boxing Day sales are everywhere up here today!

canada.gif

Ok, what is the official "reason" for Boxing Day. My UK friends say it's the day after Christmas that allows you to remain drunk or slowly come off your Christmas pissoff
grin.gif
. I heard the true beginning was to allow the servants time off for "Christmas" celebrations after they served the "master's" household and guests on Christmas day. In the US it seems to be the day people return the "boxes" of unwanted presents
lol.gif
. No matter what, enjoy
cheers.gif
!

Whimsey

No Boxing Day Sales in NSW...the Government declared that these were "family days", and shops shouldn't be opened.

And they weren't.

Losiho, what do you reckon about that person being trampled to death while trying to buy a $5 DVD player ?

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Losiho, what do you reckon about that person being trampled to death while trying to buy a $5 DVD player ?

They're all idiots imo Steve. Queing outside before 7am in the morning for the sake of saving a few dollars (if they have any left after Christmas), and putting up with the agro from other shoppers. In particular, I cannot understand the people who purchase Christmas decorations on boxing day in preparation for next year.

I was dragged along to a Boxing Day sale by my parents when I was younger, I promised myself I would never go again.

On the other hand.....if I could find a DVD recorder with HDD for $5, I might change my mind
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
what do you reckon about that person being trampled to death while trying to buy a $5 DVD player ?

It is very sad when what we call the season of giving turns into this.

The following is a quote by Herbert W. Armstrong. It does contain a bit of religion, but I feel it is very fitting to what we currently call the "Christmas Season".

quote:

Christmas has become a commercial season. It’s sponsored, kept alive, by the heaviest retail advertising campaigns of the year. You see a masqueraded ‘Santa Claus’ in many stores. Ads keep us deluded and deceived about the ‘beautiful Christmas spirit.’ The newspapers, who sell the ads, print flowery editorials exalting and eulogizing the pagan season, and its ‘spirit.’ A gullible people has become so inoculated, many take offense when told the truth. But the ‘Christmas spirit’ is created each year, not to honor ****** , but to sell merchandise! Like all Satan’s delusions, it appears as an ‘angel of light,’ is made to appear good. Billions of dollars are spent in this merchandising spree every year, while the cause of ****** must suffer! It’s part of the economic system of Babylon!

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
They're all idiots imo Steve. Queing outside before 7am in the morning for the sake of saving a few dollars (if they have any left after Christmas), and putting up with the agro from other shoppers.
On the other hand.....if I could find a DVD recorder with HDD for $5, I might change my mind
wink.gif

Chris,
I absolutely loathe shopping at the worst of times, and big crowds only drive me further away from enjoyment.

We went to Bathurst today, so that Rhiannon could feed the ducks, we had a nice lunch, walked over to K-mart (wanted to buy a turney baster - Power Steering fluid is dark), and saw the queue at 10m.

Walked out.

We (as a country) made another record this year, in $8.3 billion of additional spending between December 1 and 14 ($ 415 per man, woman and child, on top of our normal spend). Now we are up to $1450 per person credit card debt...before the post Christmas sales.

quote:

It is very sad when what we call the season of giving turns into this.

True True! Ever notice how the whole 'Christmas Spirit' evaporates after the 'big day' is over? Once everybody's got their presents it's a done deal. Seems to me that Christmas Day should be the beginning of a week or more of good cheer etc ending on New Year's (or 6 Jan for the Wise Men types).

Sadly it's more about marketing now, that's why you see Christmas decorations hanging on the stores as soon as they can get the Halloween stuff stowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back