Happy anniversary to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Congrats to you.
I have a little insight on living with cancer.
10 yrs ago I had tonsil cancer and after a scan they found cancer in my kidney.
I was lucky to have found it before any symptoms,so having tonsil cancer actually was a blessing.
Went through surgery,chemo, radiation and all was well Until May when I found out the kidney cancer spread to my chest.
So here we go again.

May God bless you and keep you , :)

Originally Posted By: bbhero
You know my friend I had the "honor" to ask a lady patient if she knew the diagnosis that I knew she had. It was the same as your was. I pulled up a chair and took hold of her hand. One of the things I told her was, " if there was ever anyone to fight this and overcome this it is you because of your heart, your spirit, your family and your faith." I left that room 313 with some tears in my eyes... Hoping that somehow, someway, God gave me the right way, spirit, attitude, heart, and words with that really wonderful lady. I still have thought of her over the last 5 years...

Candidly Oneyejack I hope that I have been in some small way been a small help to you. I hope you know that I do have you in my thoughts rather often. You my friend... Are someone I look up to, I greatly respect, and hope to be as strong, tough, and determined as you are. I doubt that I am all that close to you in those regards. But, you have continued to inspire me to be better, stronger, and a better caregiver. You are a person who helps me more than you know. Thanks for being who you are. And helping me.

bbhero, we have talked and exchanged PM's and you too have been an inspiration to me. I understand your struggles and your self-determination. Your attitude makes for medicine, better than anything in a pill.

I've been told in the hospital that one of my problems is that I'm the only one that does not know I'm very sick and a senior citizen. My answer is that I don't have time to be sick and I'm busy trying to be healthy. Besides, the people in the hospital are either too nice or have no idea what you're up against. There are too many rules that govern how they behave and respond. If you have an ache or pain they have a pill, but not for me. What's often needed instead of a nice word or that pill is a good old a$$ chewing.

They push really hard about getting up at it after surgery but it's sometimes just not enough. I was told that within 3 months after the "big surgery" that I was expected to go for 15 minutes on a stair climber and do 30 floors. At less than 60 days I did 467 floors in 3 hours. I did have to be put on IV fluids at the end, was exhausted but felt really good if that makes any sense. I've been at it like that the whole time. I was an athlete my whole life playing football and baseball in college and running marathons and ultras after that. A big part of my recovery has been the application of an athlete's discipline. If I miss a day of some kind of physical activity I don't fell good.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Congrats to you.
I have a little insight on living with cancer.
10 yrs ago I had tonsil cancer and after a scan they found cancer in my kidney.
I was lucky to have found it before any symptoms,so having tonsil cancer actually was a blessing.
Went through surgery,chemo, radiation and all was well Until May when I found out the kidney cancer spread to my chest.
So here we go again.

Dalas69,

I wish you the best. I have an idea of what you're facing and can only say, give it [censored]. Fighting cancer is not for the timid. It is something very private at times and when you feel there's no way out you're going to have to find a way. Learn as much as you can. For me it was Dr John Bergman (see Youtube) and Dr John McDougall (Youtube, again) and lots of potatoes. Lots of them.

OneEyeJack

I regard my 10 months of cancer treatment as an adventure. I did what the doctors said.I aided and abetted every tech who worked on me. My PCP prescribed an anti -depressant. That combined with the steroids in the chemo gave me delusions of grandeur. My entire attitude did a 180. The climax of the movie Harvey is Elwood Dowd saying that between smart and pleasant, he tried smart for a while, but preferred pleasant. Me too. Mentally, I consider myself in a better place. There are so many things that ate me up, stuff beyond my control. Now I don't dwell on negative stuff, I work to be happy and don't waste my time being negative.

When I was getting nuked, there were rests made of foam molded to the body part getting zapped hung on the walls. They were humbling.and ominous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back