Hand Held "Tuners" effect on UOA??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil guru's,....I am looking for some information on how a "computer programmer" or a "chip" could cause for a shorter oil interval. I am going to use Amsoil's website as an example....as it mentions that modifying a vehicle with a hand held computer programmer would constitute a reason to be in the "severe service category" and not to go the full drain interval length (i.e. 15,000 miles instead of 25,000 etc).....
Is this just based on "power" or "horsepower"? If so then in theory you could take (for example) a 2000 chevy silverado 5.3 vortec with stock 285 horsepower and "modify" it to lets just say 300 horsepower....and this company (Amsoil) could recommend that you not run their ASL 5w30 oil for 25,000 miles because you have altered your engine from factory settings...but on the other hand my 2008 Vortecmax silverado with 367 factory horsepower can go the full recommended drain interval (25,000) with ASL, or (35,000) with SSO...unaltered? What gives with altering your horsepower slightly? Do these hand held "tuners" increase heat, Air fuel ratio,or something else that much, that it could effect the life of the oil?

maybe if your air/fuel ratio was too rich, poisoning the oil over time? personally i wouldn't run any of those oils that long in any engine.

Last edited:
Depending on the tune, you may be running higher RPM,s between shifts, creating the severe driving condition. It would definitely alter the oil life.

For nitrous applications some might tune rich to avoid melting pistons. The rich you run the more fuel in the blow by.

They probably figure if you gt a chip or programming, that you will run her hard.
Many chips lean full throttle mixtures BTW, not enrichen it from the factory setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back