Ham - Hot or Cold?

My Mom used to ruin any pork dish, by over-cooking. Personally, I like it either way, hot or cold, just not over done.
My last G/F did the same thing. She would totally ruin any pork dish. I tried to explain ham was fully cooked and just needed heated up.
Other than pork, she was a good cook. She would fry up a ham steak, and keep cooking and flipping until it was like shoe leather. I think it's an old lady thing. They must have really drilled that pork thing into those old women's heads!

I heat mine to 140-145f then glaze it and pop it in at 425 for 10min then out to cool rip all the ham off the bone with gloves and take it to the MIL's

Thats usually about 2 hours at 325f in a roaster pan with abit of water and tented tightly with foil.
I get the half ham and you put it cut side down.. so the spirals stay closed and dont dry out.

The only way I cook pork tenderloin is with a thermometer. I want to see 155f at the coldest spot.

My Mom used to ruin any pork dish, by over-cooking. Personally, I like it either way, hot or cold, just not over done.
My last G/F did the same thing. She would totally ruin any pork dish. I tried to explain ham was fully cooked and just needed heated up.
Other than pork, she was a good cook. She would fry up a ham steak, and keep cooking and flipping until it was like shoe leather. I think it's an old lady thing. They must have really drilled that pork thing into those old women's heads!
From my cooking experience if you brine pork chops it makes a world of difference. I place bone-in pork chops in ice water with a mix of salt, brown sugar, garlic, and smoked paprika. Mix thoroughly then brine for an hour or so. Most ham is pre-cooked just a lite heating or browning in the pan.

Thick cold slab, more thick cheddar, just enough regular yellow mustard, white bread.

Pork roasts....simple, good.
Pork hunks wrapped in foil with apples or pineapples or whatever.....potentially legendary.
It's tenderness and flavor with pork.

Just singed around the edges, thick or thin, with eggs and toast and fried taters and wheat toast and tea. Now I'm hungry.

Pork roasts....simple, good.
Pork hunks wrapped in foil with apples or pineapples or whatever.....potentially legendary.
It's tenderness and flavor with pork.
I love to make Pozole Rojo, the Mexican national hangover cure. A cubed up pork roast stewed in chilli sauce and broth with hominy. Garnished with cabbage, limes, radish and whatever else you like.

Never understood cooking a ham on a smoker, kamado or pellet grill to add smoke to an already cooked and smoked ham. The whole "double smoked" ham is just silly.

I smoke mine so I m
Never understood cooking a ham on a smoker, kamado or pellet grill to add smoke to an already cooked and smoked ham. The whole "double smoked" ham is just silly.
I have a different opinion. I smoke mine with hickory and pecans. We love it that way. I eat mine cold or warmed just a little bit.

My mom was the same way with a steak... Scared any pink in the middle was going to give us food poisoning. I never knew that steak could be juicy and tender until I was an adult.
Yup - all when ground meat was the riskiest …

Mom would always fry steaks and pork chops till they were very well done. Dad grew up on a farm and refused pink or red meat, said it was raw and could poison you. Never had a juicy broiled steak till I got married. Heck I never had a good grilled cheese till I got married, Mom would put 2 pieces of bread in a toaster then slap cheese on it when it came out. But then again we ate our fried chicken legs and breasts by hand and my wifes family would cut theirs with a knife. Guess I was barbaric but now my wife eats her fried chicken by hand, I am a bad influence;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
I cure my own, almost exclusively from pork loin. I smoke it lightly as my girl isn't crazy about a ton of smoke, then I finish in the oven.

You can make a tremendous amount of deli quality ham for $15. I'm talking like 6 lbs.
I smoke mine so I m

I have a different opinion. I smoke mine with hickory and pecans. We love it that way. I eat mine cold or warmed just a little bit.

Yeah - and also because most store bought ham tastes like cardboard. Plus you can put a little rub/glaze of your choice on it to kinda defeat that cardboard flavor.
I know right. Who would want to make something that usually has minimal smoke (and not real smoke at that) and make it better? Some brands being better than others, but most ham fits that description. It's already cooked, so why even bother tossing it in an oven with a glaze or something?

I cure my own, almost exclusively from pork loin. I smoke it lightly as my girl isn't crazy about a ton of smoke, then I finish in the oven.

You can make a tremendous amount of deli quality ham for $15. I'm talking like 6 lbs.

Yeah - and also because most store bought ham tastes like cardboard. Plus you can put a little rub/glaze of your choice on it to kinda defeat that cardboard flavor.

I know right. Who would want to make something that usually has minimal smoke (and not real smoke at that) and make it better? Some brands being better than others, but most ham fits that description. It's already cooked, so why even bother tossing it in an oven with a glaze or something?
Nailed it.

Doubled smoked ham is awesome. Now we know who hasn't had one.

Back