Half a decade ago, a small town police force went Tesla...

They specifically stated, they funded the 2 officers from fuel savings. Seems disingenuous at best, when the total cost picture is not discussed.
Coming from managing a major fleet of 1400 vehicles where Capex requests were not considered without at most a 3 year payback with 20 percent ROI.
I tend to question most of these feel good stories.
No mention of grants/government incentives? Highly doubtful. The only electrics in our fleet are because the government pays for them in grants or rebates. We also paid almost $100k to install chargers. Public budgets can be read many ways...

To use EVs for police work you'd have to work out the logistics.

You have to make sure you have enough cars available for all shifts including night duty. Some combination of ICE vehicles and charging times less that a full shift. Senior officers who have assigned vehicles spend some of their time at the police station, city hall or what have you where they could be charging.

Teslas are particularly good at keeping the occupants comfortable (whether it's hot or cold outside) when the vehicle is just sitting.

It's rare that I would charge my Tesla more than 3 hours a day (on a home level 2 system).

I'd like to see the duty cycles for the gasoline vs. EV. Details are everything with these comparisons. As it is now, this info is useless.
What ultimately matters is:

1) Their budget did not increase.
2) They somehow hired 2 new cops.

Pretty clear cut that somehow they found extra money after trading cars.

A small town police force is almost an ideal use case for EV patrol vehicles. It's not like highway patrol use and often they're just running A/C for long stretches looking for traffic violations. And they essentially don't idle. They also don't have much scheduled maintenance.

I've been waiting for results on Amazon's big Rivian cargo van experiment, they bought a BUNCH of them here.
It seems to be working. They’re everywhere here in the bigger cities and have been for awhile. You only see the old vans in small towns that are more than 50 miles from the hub, so I don’t see them in my town. I do think that’s due to range more than repurposing vans though. I don’t think the intention was to replace longer routes.

They specifically stated, they funded the 2 officers from fuel savings. Seems disingenuous at best, when the total cost picture is not discussed.
Coming from managing a major fleet of 1400 vehicles where Capex requests were not considered without at most a 3 year payback with 20 percent ROI.
I tend to question most of these feel good stories.
The media is pretty much agenda and advertising fee promoting.

A small town police force is almost an ideal use case for EV patrol vehicles. It's not like highway patrol use and often they're just running A/C for long stretches looking for traffic violations. And they essentially don't idle. They also don't have much scheduled maintenance.
Even highways patrol in more urban areas do they really exceed range of EV? I noticed Maine Fish and Game who drives really far distances using Ford Lightnings.

no... at least that's not how I read it...
"The Bargersville police department still operates six combustion-powered vehicles in its fleet, which consume $2,900 in gas every month. In comparison, the 13 Teslas that the police department operates cost about $600 per month to charge. “It’s working, it saves a lot of money,” Bertram noted."

the way I read that is
6 ICE cruisers use $2900/mo total for gas
13 Tesla cruisers use $600/mo total for electricity.

for their taxpayers sake, I certainly hope they're not spending almost $3k each month for fuel in EACH ICE cruiser... that would be $208,800/yr just for gasoline for 6 cars... but taking your read of it, the electricty cost would be $93,600 still under half what they spend on gas for twice as many vehicles.
$2900/mo ICE vs. $600/mo EV = $2300 in savings per month per vehicle.

$2300/mo/vehicle x 12 mo/yr = $27,600/year/vehicle

$27.6K/vehicle/yr × 13 vehicles = $358,800/yr in fuel savings.

The article doesn't say, but perhaps the 13 EVs replaced 8 or 10 ICE cars to ensure readiness, in which case the fuel savings would be reduced.

Regardless, it looks there were legitimate savings incurred.

It's a laypersons article. Take it for what it is.

"The Bargersville police department still operates six combustion-powered vehicles in its fleet, which consume $2,900 in gas every month. In comparison, the 13 Teslas that the police department operates cost about $600 per month to charge. “It’s working, it saves a lot of money,” Bertram noted."
The only time those gas powered vehicles are off, not uselessly idling, is when no one cares to turn them on.

The only time those gas powered vehicles are off, not uselessly idling, is when no one cares to turn them on.
If this is to state that officers are choosing to drive them over EVs, I doubt they get the choice in the matter what they’re assigned.

Even highways patrol in more urban areas do they really exceed range of EV? I noticed Maine Fish and Game who drives really far distances using Ford Lightnings.

Possibly. Here in our county the guys are constantly running from one side of the county to the other on a busy night. Often times running lights and sirens, which would really chew through the battery. (No, not the lights/sirens, the much more aggressive accel and decel.) Even with regen, that type of driving would be pretty well into the friction brakes, so wasting energy. I'd have to ask one of the patrol guys, but I remember hearing that they usually drive between 2-300 miles a night. And we're not a big county by any stretch. (160 sq miles).

Back