Half a decade ago, a small town police force went Tesla...

I feel like in-town police duty is perfect for a longer range EV. Stop/go traffic. Idling with the AC or heat while sitting on the side of the road looking for speeders. And if it has to jump out in traffic and get someone, they can definitely get moving. Probably good for everything but longer chases.

I imagine a lot less brake jobs too.

The article says that the average electricity cost per Tesla is $600 a month compared to maybe $3900 a month for their Dodge Chargers.

Having friends who worked in a police garage when they switched from Crown Victorias to Chargers ... well, I'd probably get banned if I used the exact language ... but Chargers break a lot more and are very expensive to maintain apparently. No rocker arms or oil cooler to fail on a tesla ...

The city is six miles wide. If they can't start off the day (and yeah I know some police vehicles are used for more than one shift) and survive one day on whatever charge, then it's a failure in logistics to keep them charged. Even with all the accessory equipment.

One thing the article noted was resale value. I suppose one issue in resale is whether or not someone really wants to buy a used police-package Dodge Charger vs a Tesla Model Y. The Charger is still one heck of a gas guzzler.
I would imagine these police cars spend more gas powering the AC than speed chasing.

I would imagine these police cars spend more gas powering the AC than speed chasing.

There is an advantage to having and electric-powered compressor when there is no engine to idle. Running a gas powered car at idle to run the A/C is massively inefficient. It’s probably not as big an efficiency suck when the engine is otherwise performing useful work.

Amazing that there were no negatives included as part of the story. Read almost like a paid ad.
Sure would like to see a side by side on total fleet costs before and after, all costs in. No mention of that in the article.
Annual brake serving.
E tires.....those are not cheap.

Annual brake serving.
E tires.....those are not cheap.

Regenerative braking. There are owners who haven't replaced their friction brakes on Teslas for over 50K miles or longer. There's an indicator for when there's regenerative braking (green) and friction braking (gray). I'll rarely see it go gray, and if it's fully warmed up I've had near panic stops where it was only green.

The other thing about driving a Tesla is learning how to control the traction. There might be a desire to get the tires to chirp, but that's really kind of stupid to do so. They're capable of really nice progressive acceleration since it can control power to the tires so well compared to an engine with a transmission.

Something doesn't add up. Saving 80k in fuel cost a year, assuming you already include additional cost for the Tesla or electricity in charging, is enough to pay for 2 additional officers?

Do officers only cost 40k a year? That's like they get paid 30-35k a year.
Where I live, the last data I saw on a deputy was abour $17/hr. So that jives.

I am not sure what the maintenance schedule is for their ICE cars, but Teslas do save time and $$ on services. Now, depending on use, the Teslas may be down longer for fueling. Plus, they aren't cheap to buy.

Another plus is, if people are interested in the cars, the community may interface with the Police Officers more. Police Departments have been buying Corvettes and Camaros for years, just for the interest.

The devil is usually in the details.
Most of those corvettes and the like are stolen. They didn't buy them.

The article says that the average electricity cost per Tesla is $600 a month compared to maybe $3900 a month for their Dodge Chargers.
no... at least that's not how I read it...
"The Bargersville police department still operates six combustion-powered vehicles in its fleet, which consume $2,900 in gas every month. In comparison, the 13 Teslas that the police department operates cost about $600 per month to charge. “It’s working, it saves a lot of money,” Bertram noted."

the way I read that is
6 ICE cruisers use $2900/mo total for gas
13 Tesla cruisers use $600/mo total for electricity.

for their taxpayers sake, I certainly hope they're not spending almost $3k each month for fuel in EACH ICE cruiser... that would be $208,800/yr just for gasoline for 6 cars... but taking your read of it, the electricty cost would be $93,600 still under half what they spend on gas for twice as many vehicles.

Last edited:
There is an application for these in small departments, but not practical in busy departments where the cars run nearly 24 hours a day for (3) 8 hour shifts. There would be no time for charging. Buying more vehicles than needed to make up for down time would offset any long term maintenance and fuel savings.

no... at least that's not how I read it...
"The Bargersville police department still operates six combustion-powered vehicles in its fleet, which consume $2,900 in gas every month. In comparison, the 13 Teslas that the police department operates cost about $600 per month to charge. “It’s working, it saves a lot of money,” Bertram noted."

the way I read that is
6 ICE cruisers use $2900/mo total for gas
13 Tesla cruisers use $600/mo total for electricity.

for their taxpayers sake, I certainly hope they're not spending almost $3k each month for fuel in EACH ICE cruiser... that would be $208,800/yr just for gasoline for 6 cars... but taking your read of it, the electricty cost would be $93,600 still under half what they spend on gas for twice as many vehicles.
I'd like to see the duty cycles for the gasoline vs. EV. Details are everything with these comparisons. As it is now, this info is useless.

Having friends who worked in a police garage when they switched from Crown Victorias to Chargers ... well, I'd probably get banned if I used the exact language ... but Chargers break a lot more and are very expensive to maintain apparently. No rocker arms or oil cooler to fail on a tesla ...

Everything these days breaks a ton more. The Chargers were pretty much hot garbage, most of the Ford stuff we have now has various assorted problems that knock them out of service.

I'm not a CV lover by any stretch, but they were about as reliable as a hammer. There's nothing these days built to deal with patrol use. I can easily see how an EV could save a pile of money for a small department.

Back