Haier LCD TV's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decent wouldn't be my choice of word.... Maybe .... "basic.". They are the entry level models, usually the doorbusters for electronics places. One thing I've found common on the cheaper screens is that they sometimes parse/crop parts of the actual picture, even when all data and formatting is correct. Of course, color and fine detail sometimes pose issues, but if you are getting a smaller screen (19-32") like most of the ones sold under this name, it's not so noticeable anyway.

That said, I would have no qualms in using them in a spare bedroom or kitchen, where the viewing experience is more an ancillary comfort rather than
the main event. And hey, if you can get a smokin deal on 'em, they make great Christmas presents!!

Some are made in the USA. I believe they have a assembly plant in one of the Carolina's. Nebraska Furniture Mart's in the midwest sells lots of them. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway owns The Furniture Mart. The pic quality is similar to Westinghouse, Vizio, ect. YMMV

Is that a 1080p model? 120hz or higher? If yes to both of those, and you can get it in the mid $300s (USD, dunno what prices are like for youse guys) I'd be all over it.

Saw some good deals at on them. At the right price, I don't care about brands.

This is the one I came up with for a kitchen TV, 24" for$199

"Hisense"

t5_H24V86.jpg

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=71691

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
Is that a 1080p model? 120hz or higher? If yes to both of those, and you can get it in the mid $300s (USD, dunno what prices are like for youse guys) I'd be all over it.

http://www.haieramerica.com/en/product/HL42XD2

1080P: yes.

Only 60Hz however.

Retail is ~$550.00-$600.00 USD from what I found. Canadian is ~$600.00.

Haier, Hisense both Chinese companies. Generally stay away from any of the Chinese brands.

Best of the brands are:

Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Samsung, Hitachi

Funai makes Funai, Sylvania, Philips/Magnavox, and JVC LCDs and are not as good as the above.

Vizio not so good on reliability, but pix performance is good.

The rest is a guess for reliability and the electronics taking full advantage of the LCD panel's capability.

You really do get what you pay for in LCDs.

Have been in the biz.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
Haier, Hisense both Chinese companies. Generally stay away.

Best of the brands are:

Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Samsung

The rest is a guess for reliability and the electronics taking full advantage of the LCD panel's capability.

Have been in the biz.

But they are the official TV of the NBA! LMAO!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

"Hisense"

t5_H24V86.jpg

Canadian Tire has some HiSense t.v.'s on sale here for a cheap price but I believe they don't have the digital tuners in them, only NTSC tuners.
You would need an HD source to get HD on air digital signals.
Always read the fine print on these "too good to be true" deals.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: ffracer
Haier, Hisense both Chinese companies. Generally stay away.

Best of the brands are:

Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Samsung

Have been in the biz.

But they are the official TV of the NBA! LMAO!
grin.gif

Once they pay the $$$ to become the official TV of NASCAR I may consider buying one. If it says NASCAR on it it has to be good !!!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: musicmanbass

http://www.haieramerica.com/en/product/HL42XD2

1080P: yes.

Only 60Hz however.

Retail is ~$550.00-$600.00 USD from what I found. Canadian is ~$600.00.

For not much more you can get a decent brand from one of the major players.

Brand reputation wise, they aren't even the same quality as Vizio or Olivia among the Chinese/HK/Taiwanese brand.

I'd say they are mainly Chinese brand targeting their own domestic market, as well as the US low end consumer market. I'd think they are the Walmart SuperTech of electronics.

Quality wise, you are not going to get the best, but not sure if they are the worst or average / acceptable.

Last edited:
For TVs I personally prefer Samsung, and LG. The way you can tell the quality of a TV is actually where it's made. The good samsung, LG units are made in Mexico. The dynex, alot of the sharp, are made in china.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The way you can tell the quality of a TV is actually where it's made.

Should be "The way you can tell the quality of a TV is how much it costs".

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

"Hisense"

t5_H24V86.jpg

Canadian Tire has some HiSense t.v.'s on sale here for a cheap price but I believe they don't have the digital tuners in them, only NTSC tuners.
You would need an HD source to get HD on air digital signals.
Always read the fine print on these "too good to be true" deals.

They should be HDTV ready,that is really the point of the new TV's.The old tube types had to have a convertor box but the new TV's are HD ready.

You can get HD signals with ANY antenna,there is no such thing as an HD antenna,it is a scam if you are told you need a special antenna to get HD signals over the air.

If the stations/programs are HD and your TV is HD,you can get the HD stations in HD you dont need a seperate tuner or anything.

NTSC signals were phased out is 2009.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
We are still NTSC here in Canada, not digital (HD), and I am quite sure there are flat screen TV's sold here that DO NOT have the digital tuner in them.

In the US,all stations unless they are small independents are digital and the new TV's are digital.Canada may still have analog but there digital here.

The purpose of the HD TV's in the US was because of the switch to digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back