Guy living in his car

I did fill out their website applications, and then when I called they were like "did you fill out an application? Ok I'll see if I can find it"
Very true. Even when I was looking for minimum wage jobs as a HS student in 2006, many places wanted you to fill out a form on a website, no in-person applications.

I’ve worked at the same place for 16 years. Pretty sure I wouldn’t make it past HR screening if they were hiring today.

Reactions: JTK
+1

Absolutely. A minimum wage job was NEVER meant to be able to live on....
"Our problem is to work out in practice those labor standards which will permit the maximum but prudent employment of our human resources to bring within the reach of the average man and woman a maximum of goods and of services conducive to the fulfillment of the promise of American life." - FDR, 1937

I don't know if it's in the scriptures--and I'm the last person to be able to argue scripture-- but I always liked the concept that God helps those who help themselves.

While we may all need an occasional hand up, I don't think we were intended to intentionally sit around and not work. As I understand it that would be an insult to the abilities we were given, like working hands and functional brains.

The Pursuit of Happyness comes to mind......
The apostle Paul wrote to the church as Thessaloniki; 2 Thessalonians 3:10 New International version
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.

Sure.

Compassion is easy - especially from a distance, especial when we say some large entity can do it - but compassion is simply not a motivator for many. This type of hands off compassion (not you personally, I don't know you) is insidiously nasty in the long run. Most people feel like they are doing something........compassion with money, hand outs............Earth to Seattle - the problem has grown how much?

Jesus said there will always be poor. He wasn’t wrong.
Observations from working around the world, often in third world and developing countries, is long term handouts/ entitlements are actually counterproductive to a person. It appears to quite possibly kill drive/spirit/soul. Providing long term entitlements may actually be a evil, as it may take away desire/will/passion for life.

There is a reason almost all wealth is first generation wealth.

Observations from working around the world, often in third world and developing countries, is long term handouts/ entitlements are actually counterproductive to a person. It appears to quite possibly kill drive/spirit/soul. Providing long term entitlements may actually be a evil, as it may take away desire/will/passion for life.

There is a reason almost all wealth is first generation wealth.
The sooner any society figures this out the better they will be.

Never, ever going to be perfect. Reserved for the place above.

I’ve worked at the same place for 16 years. Pretty sure I wouldn’t make it past HR screening if they were hiring today.
LoL. Dont feel funny. I am certain I would not make it past today's HR at the plant I worked and was
devoted to for 29 years.
They have created a hiring scheme to allow them to hire just who they want. Of course its their place of
business so ......

The apostle Paul wrote to the church as Thessaloniki; 2 Thessalonians 3:10 New International version
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.
My wife -- who is arguably a scholar of the Bible-- looked it up and it goes even further saying to stay away from those who are idle and to earn the the food you eat (paraphrasing of course). It does also say to consider those who are busy bodies rather than busy not as enemies but to warn them (that being lazy is dangerous) -- again, significant paraphrasing.

I don't have strong opinions on the Bible, but good lessons here.

We are the only nation in the developed world not to have some sort of national healthcare system. We are among the very few who lack free university education where not everyone qualifies to attend. We are among the few without some form of subsidized child care.
We do little to enable the talented and ambitious poor in advancing their lives and livelihoods and we then bemoan their lack of drive.
If we can do more to help the poor advance into decent paying careers we'd also help ourselves by bringing more taxpaying citizens into the fold and allowing these people to contribute to our GDP.
Most of us knew relative penury in our early adulthood and advanced to the point of owning a home, buying new cars and taking extravagant vacations.
Let's all remember where we came from and try to help those left behind to enjoy better lives through work.
We've worked for what we have. Shouldn't we try to help those left behind to work to enjoy better lives while contributing to tax take and GDP in the process?

Last edited:
We are the only nation in the developed world not to have some sort of national healthcare system. We are among the very few who lack free university education where not everyone qualifies to attend. We are among the few without some form of subsidized child care.
We do little to enable the talented and ambitious poor in advancing their lives and livelihoods and we then bemoan their lack of drive.
If we can do more to help the poor advance into decent paying careers we'd also help ourselves by bringing more taxpaying citizens into the fold and allowing these people to contribute to our GDP.
Most of us knew relative penury in our early adulthood and advanced to the point of owning a home, buying new cars and taking extravagant vacations.
Let's all remember where we came from and try to help those left behind to enjoy better lives through work.
We've worked for what we have. Shouldn't we try to help those left behind to enjoy better lives while contributing to tax take and GDP in the process?
Wow, I can't concur with your post.

Nobody is denied healthcare in the US- NOBODY. Cross the border from Mexico tonight without authorization, and have a heart attack and require open heart surgery, the alien will have the procedure done same day in the US, for no charge. A German citizen, with nationalized healthcare needs the same procedure in Germany, might have to wait six months for the surgery.
The US has the most expensive healthcare in the world. Want to "fix" US healthcare- the focus needs to be on the healthcare lobbyists and restraint of trade.

Education- there has never been better time than today, right now to get an advanced education to include a university, or a trade school, that is paid for by the US taxpayers. Maybe the issue is the messages being sent to young people on Tik Tok, etc.

The US is a flawed and imperfect nation, but still the greatest nation in the world to start with nothing and end up with wealth. There is a reason that people from all over the world, from every corner of the world, dream of coming to the US- to get a shot at a full life. I wonder why I never hear this message on PBS/CBS/NBC/ABS, tik tok, youtube, instrgram?

US hospitals that have ERs are required to provide acute care without regard to ability to pay to stabilize the patient and that's it.
Please tell me where in our country anyone can get a college education paid for by the taxpayers. Many students and their families would like to know that.
That so many of our own indigenous citizens can't seem to advance in our economy is a tell that we need to act to enable them to do so.

US hospitals that have ERs are required to provide acute care without regard to ability to pay to stabilize the patient and that's it.
Please tell me where in our country anyone can get a college education paid for by the taxpayers. Many students and their families would like to know that.
That so many of our own indigenous citizens can't seem to advance in our economy is a tell that we need to act to enable them to do so.
It will take me days to publish all the free opportunities for young people to attend advanced education at taxpayer expense. One was published on BITOG in the last day or two. Of a Man who's Son enlisted in the Marine Corps for a few years, and then had his college paid for via the GI Bill. And there are thousands of other offers for free college outside of military service.

Want to know how I know the Germany story- my Father in Law died in Germany waiting six months for heart surgery. Had he been in the US, he would have had the surgery the day after it was discovered it was needed.

Please take a second look at the information being presented to you. It appears very erroneous.

It will take me days to publish all the free opportunities for young people to attend advanced education at taxpayer expense. One was published on BITOG in the last day or two. Of a Man who's Son enlisted in the Marine Corps for a few years, and then had his college paid for via the GI Bill. And there are thousands of other offers for free college outside of military service.

Want to know how I know the Germany story- my Father in Law died in Germany waiting six months for heart surgery. Had he been in the US, he would have had the surgery the day after it was discovered it was needed.

Please take a second look at the information being presented to you. It appears very erroneous.
Just for the record, it isn't the information presented to me, it is rather what I've gleaned from a lifetime of reading both the serious press and websites like this one as well.
Four years in the Corp in exchange for four years of college doesn't exactly sound like free education either.
The timeliness of hospital care is a function of the money devoted to it and we here spend a far greater percentage of our GDP on healthcare than does any other nation in the world. Were Germany to spend a similar amount of their GDP on healthcare then your FIL would have gotten his operation the next day as well.

There is an act. I applied for a position last month that I met the requirements for- this was the response I received:

By law, Indian Preference candidates are entitled to consideration for employment before other applicants. There were sufficient Indian Preference candidates for this vacancy; therefore, your application was not considered.

Just for the record, it isn't the information presented to me, it is rather what I've gleaned from a lifetime of reading both the serious press and websites like this one as well.
Four years in the Corp in exchange for four years of college doesn't exactly sound like free education either.
WOW- ok, I am out..... Whew.... hope you enjoy a life for you and your family that going forward may not include life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness..... FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.

I will withdraw from any further posts in this thread. Thanks for taking the time to read mine, as I have read yours.

Last edited:
WOW- ok, I am out..... Whew.... hope you enjoy a life for you and your family that doesn't include life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness..... FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.

I will withdraw from any further posts in this thread. Thanks for taking the time to read mine, as I have read yours.
The whole point is that my family and I do enjoy all of the above along with a life that includes giving up a substantial proportion of our earned income in taxes. Ask anyone from any other developed country whether they enjoy the same and they'd tell you that they certainly do.
My concern is with those in our very own country who don't.

There is an act. I applied for a position last month that I met the requirements for- this was the response I received:

By law, Indian Preference candidates are entitled to consideration for employment before other applicants. There were sufficient Indian Preference candidates for this vacancy; therefore, your application was not considered.
That is wrong in so many ways. Be it nationality, gender or whatever.

I was denied a city job, 30 years go, because my Wife was City Administrator. All council members agreed, I was best qualified for the job and they all agreed on that. Heated discussion in the meeting. Felt bad for her, but understood their position on neputisim or whatever it is called. Had a job at the time, so no skin off my back. Sucks for you though, GON.

Those who live in countries with Socialized medicine-or quasi socialized medicine love to brag about it-until they have a very serious medical problem. Those who are citizens of other countries know the pros/cons of their healthcare system. AND alternatives around the system if they have money.

Back