Guy living in his car

I think they should drop the minimum wage. Some of the workers i see in stores don't look like they should earn $12+ an hour. Sitting around on their phones, filling out orders wrong, not knowing how to run a checkout line. Why should they make more than a skilled electrician? And if they do raise the minimum wage, everyone just raises their prices to compensate, so then the value of the dollar drops.
It 100% doesnt work that way.
First off are you suggesting an electrician makes 12$ an hour?

Second KFC is hiring for $15.
What you are seeing at the grocery store is because they are paying $12... and at that wage almost no one is even applying.
btw grocery stores here have 14hour min. guarantee..

so if they hire 10 people.. the hours get cut.. then the good people leave... and you are left with the smartphone zombies, idiots, and other near worthless employees.
its like they weed out the good ones.

$11 is the new $6.50 from 2005.

Another huge part is you are incentivized to make little.
if you make less than 18k everything is handed to you on a plate.. if you make 21k.. oh you owe $1400 for that MRI on your knee..(that is after insurance) and that will be $500 at the dentist.

And it hasnt kept up with the times or inflation.

There should be a cutoff why are people living 30+ years on subsidized everything?

but of course its just one more way America is divided on purpose.

I'm saying get rid of the subsidies and lower the minimum wage and people will have to earn what they get instead of having it handed to them. Minimum wage should be enough to pay for a kid's first car, not enough to cover rent and everything.

I'm waiting for something to happen. Houses cost wayy too much and a ton of people are in debt. What happens when banks want their money back?

Agree. Doesn't work.

Min wage here is near $18/hour. People don't want to work!

Assuming "people don't want to work" is true, that means they don't want to work for the wage being offered. Isn't that the free market at work?

No. The handouts with doing NO work are more attractive. That is the antithesis of free market.

Where are these handouts? They must not be that lucrative if people are living in their cars!

Where are these handouts? They must not be that lucrative if people are living in their cars!
Some trade the handout money/cards for drugs. Imagine that!?

We have gone full circle. Stop the handouts. Stop the drugs. Provide tough love. This WILL work. BUT no one wants to be the bad guy.

If someone wants to live in their car still, well not on private property without permission.

1712693770848.jpg
This guy lives in his little car.

Ah, yes, just as Jesus once said “Suck it up buttercup, you’re hungry? Go eat some dirt. It’s free”
Sure.

Compassion is easy - especially from a distance, especial when we say some large entity can do it - but compassion is simply not a motivator for many. This type of hands off compassion (not you personally, I don't know you) is insidiously nasty in the long run. Most people feel like they are doing something........compassion with money, hand outs............Earth to Seattle - the problem has grown how much?

Jesus said there will always be poor. He wasn’t wrong.

Last edited:
I think they should drop the minimum wage. Some of the workers i see in stores don't look like they should earn $12+ an hour.
+1

Absolutely. A minimum wage job was NEVER meant to be able to live on.... Anymore than Social Security was. A $20.00 an hour minimum wage is insane.

There are far too many unintended consequences that people dismiss, or outright ignore. Sky high price increases that directly cause even more inflation is one of the worst.

Minimum wage increases are directly, and almost immediately absorbed by the consumer. And idiotic nonsense like this is often the result.

I'm saying get rid of the subsidies and lower the minimum wage and people will have to earn what they get instead of having it handed to them. Minimum wage should be enough to pay for a kid's first car, not enough to cover rent and everything.

I'm waiting for something to happen. Houses cost wayy too much and a ton of people are in debt. What happens when banks want their money back?
Minimum wage is $7.25 in 30 states, which won't even pay for the car, let alone insurance. This minimum wage going up gripe around here is sort of funny since absolutely no one is dumb enough to work for minimum wage. I posted the sign Buc-ees puts out - starts at $18. Small gas stations and fast food around here start at $14 and wonder why they can't find anyone.

Chicken and egg. We had low inflation for a decade or more. It really got rolling when they decided to print $14T in pandemic stimulus. This happened when the youngest generation is smallest as a percentage of the population pretty much ever. The same affect that doubled the price of your house and 401K, is also doubling wages - too much fiat currency chasing too few employees.

Your not wrong on houses being to high and were in too much debt. The simple answer is it will never be paid back - unless its inflated away.

Now I have depressed myself.

Minimum wage is $7.25 in 30 states, which won't even pay for the car, let alone insurance. This minimum wage going up gripe around here is sort of funny since absolutely no one is dumb enough to work for minimum wage. I posted the sign Buc-ees puts out - starts at $18. Small gas stations and fast food around here start at $14 and wonder why they can't find anyone.

Chicken and egg. We had low inflation for a decade or more. It really got rolling when they decided to print $14T in pandemic stimulus. This happened when the youngest generation is smallest as a percentage of the population pretty much ever. The same affect that doubled the price of your house and 401K, is also doubling wages - too much fiat currency chasing too few employees.

Your not wrong on houses being to high and were in too much debt. The simple answer is it will never be paid back - unless its inflated away.

Now I have depressed myself.

I bought my first car, a handful of sensors and insurance and registration for a year for $1500. I earned that money digging holes for $10 an hour. If it's an easy restraunt job you're not worn out after 5 hours and you can work a little longer to earn the same amount of money.

You would have to work 200 hours to make $1500 at minimum wage. That is 50 hours a week, but once you buy the car and register it you only really have to pay for gas and minor repairs like headlights so you could get away with working 25 hours a week and saving for next year's registration and insurance. You would even have some extra money to save or go to the movies or something.

Oh i forgot to mention I tried to get a job at a few restaurants and a machine shop and they all either hung up on me or never called me back when I went in in person. So too low of wages isn't the only reason places don't have employees

Wasn't a misquote, if you google-

Buttigieg slammed for urging electric car buying to counter gas prices​

you will find what he said, and you can interpret it any way you want.
He also said this week "Things are much safer in DC that they were 3.5 years ago, I can walk around DC without fear". In REALITY DC crime has exploded up 170% since soft on crime DA's and courts started letting everyone out of jail and failing to prosecute criminals 3.5 years ago. Buttigieg can walk around safe WITH HIS A SECURITY DETAIL surrounding him. He lied and left out the most important truths to try to score a cheap point on TV. Everybody knows DC, Chicago, Baltimore, NYC are engulfed in crime 24/7/365.

Not sure where to find that in the scriptures, but I do read there: "If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat."
I don't know if it's in the scriptures--and I'm the last person to be able to argue scripture-- but I always liked the concept that God helps those who help themselves.

While we may all need an occasional hand up, I don't think we were intended to intentionally sit around and not work. As I understand it that would be an insult to the abilities we were given, like working hands and functional brains.

The Pursuit of Happyness comes to mind......

Oh i forgot to mention I tried to get a job at a few restaurants and a machine shop and they all either hung up on me or never called me back when I went in in person. So too low of wages isn't the only reason places don't have employees
Very true. Even when I was looking for minimum wage jobs as a HS student in 2006, many places wanted you to fill out a form on a website, no in-person applications.

Back