Guy living in his car

Most countries that do not have payment for not working and do not provide free meals for non working people have significantly less homelessness.and even less substance abuse issues.

I'm going to say this and get off the soapbox. So many of the homeless do have mental health issues. I know because I have a daughter with them. The problem lies once they turn 18. What does my daughter do? She feels much better on her meds, so she stops them. She spirals downhill. The medical, social, and courts will not let the parents get involved, because they are no longer minors. Once I can find her, and get her back on her meds, she becomes a productive and happy person in society again... gets a job (she's pretty smart), has good friends, etc. Then she feels good and stops her meds..... lather rinse repeat.

The medical community, psychiatrists especially, just want to pump her full of pills, which don't always have great side effects, thus her desire to get off of them because she thinks she is the reason she is better, not the pills.

I do see many homeless just doing drugs and not working though, because they can.

I'm going to say this and get off the soapbox. So many of the homeless do have mental health issues. I know because I have a daughter with them. The problem lies once they turn 18. What does my daughter do? She feels much better on her meds, so she stops them. She spirals downhill. The medical, social, and courts will not let the parents get involved, because they are no longer minors. Once I can find her, and get her back on her meds, she becomes a productive and happy person in society again... gets a job (she's pretty smart), has good friends, etc. Then she feels good and stops her meds..... lather rinse repeat.

The medical community, psychiatrists especially, just want to pump her full of pills, which don't always have great side effects, thus her desire to get off of them because she thinks she is the reason she is better, not the pills.

I do see many homeless just doing drugs and not working though, because they can.
So sorry to hear about your daughter. You sound like a good dad.

A lot of people with mental illness will choose to self medicate with street drugs, too, as they prefer to avoid the side effects of their prescribed meds.

What one of the most egregious problems with some of the homeless is the filth and trash build up in homeless camps. Perhaps there would be less objection to said camps if they showed some attempt to take some care.

Yes, a lot of the state/federal mental facilities were closed in the 70s and 80s and the patients let out on the streets with zilch and nowhere to go. It's disheartening and sad, and here we call ourselves a first world country.

It's also something like 7-9 pills for PTSD patients. 2 pills that actually work and the rest to counter side effects. USA and big pharma go hand and hand. Can't even trust the ones that swore an oath to human well-being.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. I can somewhat relate, as I have several members in my family with various stages/forms of mental issues.

I've also had/have them.
I knew they were an issue when I was younger, as my earliest memory of school all illustrated a pattern of struggle. Heck, even at home/with friends I struggled to maintain a level of "normal". I was borderline mentally challenged but I knew there was an underlying issue that wasn't being addressed.
This continued for years as I progressed thru high school and into university. Finally I realized that conventional docs and perscriptions weren't going to help me.

Thanks to a supportive partner, she got me trying several herbal supplements (available at most stores). After trying various combinations/amounts, I have a combination that's assisted me to address issues that stemed from generations of hardship in my family. The supplements aren't free, but considering how they make me feel and perform, they are priceless.

Your link is about "minimum wage" and it shows an incredibly obese 50 something worker. There is zero reason the vast majority of 50 somethings can only have a minimum wage job. Or should weigh "that" much. Self inflicted.

Besides that, I was not referring to jobs at all. There are resources to get homeless off the streets but many refuse. Generally its because they can't bring their drugs with them. See the light.
My link is about how minimum wage cannot get a 2 br apartment anywhere in America, and there are only a handful of places for a 1 bedroom. We as a country have people working full time who cannot afford a roof over their heads, who are living in cars. That point I'm making because there are some who think these car-dwellers aren't hard-working or have some moral failure.

My link is about how minimum wage cannot get a 2 br apartment anywhere in America, and there are only a handful of places for a 1 bedroom. We as a country have people working full time who cannot afford a roof over their heads, who are living in cars. That point I'm making because there are some who think these car-dwellers aren't hard-working or have some moral failure.

Most stories of these people I have read shows they had a job, and an apartment, and spend most of their lives riding the bus to their dead end job, then riding it home, with no realistic chance of ever getting ahead. If you have a family you likely keep doing this. If its just you, it makes less sense.

So they choose a different path - rather than working a dead end situation for 40 years to end up in subsidized drug infested public assistance housing - they move to their car. Many work seasonal jobs, and they move around the country as they see fit. A free life to choose their own destiny if you will.

For many as soon as someone mentions "homeless" it immediately degrades to homeless camp / drug addict / panhandler. But there is another type of person that are not any of those, and aren't interested in receiving charity because they don't feel they need it.

Home, sweet home.

73CA918F-BC30-4F8A-9B17-AF857808067B.jpeg

My Grandmother lived near a large railyard when I was a kid. She used to tell me stories about the hobos (men folk predominantly) who would ride the rails to and fro. Many would stop by her house ask for a sandwich and to use the well in her backyard for a cool drink. She considered her house to be kind of "comfort station" of sorts for those people. Supposedly this area of the city was somewhat known for this and it went back all the way to the days of the Worlds Fair In STL, when temporary roving workers would come to a city to help as ad hoc laborers.

She also had two large apple trees in her yard and in the fall, a larger than usual number of these people would stop by and pick apples to sustain their way of life. She never spoke an ill word of any of these people, and she never said any ever caused any troubles while stopping by. She had respect for them and they for her it seems, which I do not think would be the same in today's world.

After reading this thread, it reinforces what I have always been told and reminded of growing up. There will always be poor and less fortunate people in this world. Some by their own choice and others who are a victims of circumstance, fate or bad luck as it may be called.

Even the infamous Jim Cramer lived out of his car for 9 months. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_C...ive editor Richard Oppel,his car for 9 months.

Oh there's also fake homeless people. They wear holey clothes and have a beat up piece of cardboard asking for money, and then they walk to the store where they parked their camry and drive back to their apartment. Some of these people can make plenty of money begging.

Oh there's also fake homeless people. They wear holey clothes and have a beat up piece of cardboard asking for money, and then they walk to the store where they parked their camry and drive back to their apartment. Some of these people can make plenty of money begging.
Not all panhandlers are homeless and not all homeless are panhandlers.

I know lots of people that show up to each morning, sit in the cubicle all day, and accomplish nothing, so not all employees work either. :ROFLMAO:

Minimum wage "entry level" jobs are just that. A starter job to get experience. They are not for long term prosperity. They were never intended to be a full job for an adult to provide housing, personal vehicles, vacations, a company car, heath insurance and a 401K. What do you expect out of a minimum wage job?

Minimum wage "entry level" jobs are just that. A starter job to get experience. They are not for long term prosperity. They were never intended to be a full job for an adult to provide housing, personal vehicles, vacations, a company car, heath insurance and a 401K. What do you expect out of a minimum wage job?
Average US rent is $1700 for a 900 square foot apartment. Experts say 30% of gross should go to rent. That means you should make $68,000 a year to rent the average apartment.

Were not just talking about minimum wage people.

What I am saying is it might be better to live in your car than even try?

Last edited:
It was always like this until someone or some group decided to use this as an economic whip and yardstick.

When I started working min wage was $1.65 . Rent was less then but…

Back