Guy living in his car

We had a software engineer sleeping on couch at our office. Showers onsite/gym, breakfast cereal and free coffee.

They wanted to get rid of him however I vouched for him and this guy was an incredible software engineer. He accomplished so much .
He's not a bum. He's smart. No car payment, no housing expense, no property tax.

I would suggest reading the book or watching the movie I mentioned - Nomadland.
I will get this book from our local library or get them to add it if they don't have it.
Amazing the subcultures we have in our country that pass entirely under our personal radars.
There but for the grace and all of that.

I'd always give this fellow something and tell him it's for his pooch.

1712445877561.jpg

IVSA Standing Committee for Animal Welfare

If anyone WANTS a better life there are tons of resources available to them to help make it happen. Far more than was available a generation or two ago. The vast majority on the streets are choosing to be there in one manner or another. There are a few real exceptions but they are FEW. Honestly I have lost patience with the "woe is me" attitude. Lots of people just are not compelled to work.

I do judge. Most of the able bodied men can work. Kids and mothers in stress are a different matter.

Tons of jobs

Very very low unemployment

Yet we all see more street bums than any of our lifetimes.

Something isn't matching.

The numbers are somewhat false and there are a lot of homeless, shiftless, unemployable people, many have made bad bad choices. Sure we can blame drugs and mental illness, and that is a large part of it. But certain areas cater to the situation and have actually created an entire industry. You give a guy $100. He's not going to clean up and get a job.

The only time there is much action is when the realization that the law abiding are starting to make noise.

Also there is the problem of USA lands owned by foreign nationals who "cannot be reached". We need a change of laws.

I'm not saying be mean to people. Not even saying lock them up unless they break the law, but "nice" isn't helping. Some level of shame needs to be involved and some level of "you don't work, you don't eat" as well.

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but nice often makes the problem worse for MEN.
I agree with you 100%.

If anyone WANTS a better life there are tons of resources available to them to help make it happen. Far more than was available a generation or two ago. The vast majority on the streets are choosing to be there in one manner or another. There are a few real exceptions but they are FEW. Honestly I have lost patience with the "woe is me" attitude. Lots of people just are not compelled to work.

Seems like OP's "Corolla guy" had his life together except for being able to afford an apartment. Affordable housing is a resource that, up my way, there isn't "tons of."

I parked my car at SWF airport, came back a week or so later and found a homeless guy clearly living in the passenger seat, with it reclined all the way. (uses a hard to reach rolling knob to recline). Cigarette butts on the floor, and a general mess.

The car would unlock itself after a time, because it's an old Jaguar, with electrical demons aplenty. I knew this, but did not double check it before flying out.

I very wisely threatened the guy.... Then cleaned the car, top to bottom, and noticed my knife was missing. Not my best moment...

The dark window tint and windshield reflector probably made it impossible for anyone to see in. Also, because the interior lights never shut off, due to those demons, I'm pretty sure he left the door open a bit for air, and it never drained the battery.

The car involved:

ncUqVbZ.jpg

Yes there's lots of lazy homeless/beggars

That being said, once I move out of my parents house I plan on living in a bus or something on blm land/Walmart parking. A school bus is $4-6000 for one that moves, an apartment is like $2000 a month. So I'll be saving like 18,000 a year by being homeless.

Yes there's lots of lazy homeless/beggars

That being said, once I move out of my parents house I plan on living in a bus or something on blm land/Walmart parking. A school bus is $4-6000 for one that moves, an apartment is like $2000 a month. So I'll be saving like 18,000 a year by being homeless.
I am not sure your futured projected actions reflect the broad definition of homeless.

It's pretty common, and I've even considered it as housing is SO expensive these days. I know someone who lives in their car, and mostly stays in the parking lot of his job. They are OK with it because he doesn't cause any trouble and is a good employee. I don't think we should be judging people for that.

Now, if they're leaving a mess, doing drugs, causing problems, then it's an issue. Unfortunately those car/van-dwellers that do those things often ruin it for the rest of the goo

I do judge. Most of the able bodied men can work. Kids and mothers in stress are a different matter.

Tons of jobs

Very very low unemployment

Yet we all see more street bums than any of our lifetimes.

Something isn't matching.

The numbers are somewhat false and there are a lot of homeless, shiftless, unemployable people, many have made bad bad choices. Sure we can blame drugs and mental illness, and that is a large part of it. But certain areas cater to the situation and have actually created an entire industry. You give a guy $100. He's not going to clean up and get a job.

The only time there is much action is when the realization that the law abiding are starting to make noise.

Also there is the problem of USA lands owned by foreign nationals who "cannot be reached". We need a change of laws.

I'm not saying be mean to people. Not even saying lock them up unless they break the law, but "nice" isn't helping. Some level of shame needs to be involved and some level of "you don't work, you don't eat" as well.

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but nice often makes the problem worse for MEN.
We must judge.

Seems like OP's "Corolla guy" had his life together except for being able to afford an apartment. Affordable housing is a resource that, up my way, there isn't "tons of."
Your link is about "minimum wage" and it shows an incredibly obese 50 something worker. There is zero reason the vast majority of 50 somethings can only have a minimum wage job. Or should weigh "that" much. Self inflicted.

Besides that, I was not referring to jobs at all. There are resources to get homeless off the streets but many refuse. Generally its because they can't bring their drugs with them. See the light.

Last edited:
It’s hard for me to point the finger at someone (less fortunate than me) and say it’s your fault you’re in this spot. Empathy is the most important human emotion.
I agree to a point. For a bad stretch, I understand. For a multi-generational lifestyle, never. Thats not empathy. Its enabeling sloth.

There are tons of issues surrounding this subject.

One is that many of the permanently homeless (aka street people) tend to concentrate themselves in the same areas due to the availability of services, permissive policing policies, availability of "affordable" drugs, indifferent drug enforcement, etc. Another issue, on the West Coast especially, due to some 9th circuit court decisions, municipalities have lost the ability to enforce vagrancy laws.

For some eye opening insight into the homeless culture go check out some of the Reddit groups on the subject like https://www.reddit.com/r/vagabond/

Last edited:
A fair number of these people have mental or emotional issues that make it hard for them to live conventional life styles, or be gainfully employed.
Yep. The US has shifted away from inpatient treatment facilities for the mentally ill to housing them in county jails.

Back