Gutter Guards

I am in the process of getting a new roof. Current gutters have Gutter Helmet for the most part and that will be removed and tossed. The Gutter Helmet do not work well in heavy rain. Or at least the ones sold 15 years ago.

Hoping my gutter can stay in place during the roof replacement. But will need new gutter guards.

What (in past 5 years) gutter guards have people installed DIY or had professionally installed?

Professionally installed ones would be $3200 for 200 feet of gutter. That just seems high. More than the cost of new gutters.

They sell gutter guards at Home Depot and Lowe's and Amazon. The gutter guards for 200 feet of gutters would be hundreds of dollars and not thousands.

So when gutter guards that are screwed in with self tapping screws need to be removed for cleaning can they be screwed back in without stripped screw holes?

Or do the high quality gutter guards never need to be removed for cleaning. The needed cleaning is brushing off the screen of the gutter guard.

I put these in 3 years ago and haven't touched them since. They have large holes to handle heavy rain and keep the leaves out. Might depend on your foliage type but I'm sold and won't ever deal with the finer mesh ones that just get clogged with dirt and debris. The whole point is no not have to go up there and clean. They're awesome...metal and no screws. Very easy install.

I bought some at costco.. about $2 a foot. they can attach with included industrial adhesive(sticker) or included screws.
so far so good for mine. I put them on the trecherous side of the roof and havent had to clean or unclog in a year now.
typically I have to clean out 4-5x yearly mix of maple trash (buds, leaves, helicopters) and pine needles.

Last edited:
I put these in 3 years ago and haven't touched them since. They have large holes to handle heavy rain and keep the leaves out. Might depend on your foliage type but I'm sold and won't ever deal with the finer mesh ones that just get clogged with dirt and debris. The whole point is no not have to go up there and clean. They're awesome...metal and no screws. Very easy install.

We have pine needles in addition to leaves so probably need a finer mesh.

I gave up on gutter guards. I leave my gutters open and find that a leaf blower attachment is optimal. I have leaf strainers on the downspouts only.

When I did have gutter guards, the adhesive and self tappers were a joke. I used binder clips on the inside edge instead, because the guards still had to come off annually to keep them working. I just used some snips to cut a notch for the clip.

My opinion is that if you're trying to save yourself time and effort, open with a leaf blower is the way to go.

I used these last year and have gone one Fall with them in place. Holes are relatively small and the sections are easy to put up, especially if you a low-pitched roof. We live in the mountains and the leaves are unmerciful during the Fall. Easily available and comes in 39 ft., 80 ft. and up quantities. Good luck.

I have been using the gutter brush for the past 5 years and they seem to work fine...

I bought some at costco.. about $2 a foot. they can attach with included industrial adhesive(sticker) or included screws.
so far so good for mine. I put them on the trecherous side of the roof and havent had to clean or unclog in a year now.
typically I have to clean out 4-5x yearly mix of maple trash (buds, leaves, helicopters) and pine needles.
I put those Costco gutter guards on as well. IIRC correctly they come in 2 sizes. I recommend them.
$3200 is very expensive IMO.

Yes, your self tapping screws should be able to be removed/installed many times w/out stripping the hole out if you go easy on them.

No "gutter guard" system works 100% for everybody's environment. If you live surrounded by trees, gutter cleaning eventually has to happen. If you have an aggregate covered shingle roof, gutter cleaning again, will eventually have to happen.

My last home had a professionally installed aluminum and stainless mesh panel system installed by the previous owner. It helped delay cleaning by keeping most big stuff out, but eventually the gutters and downspout ends wil fill with any/all fine matter. I removed and trashed all of it within a few years.

I'm even more surrounded by trees now where we live and it's not fun. My metal roof eliminates the shingle aggregate, but organic fine materials is a constant battle, all seasons.

We have pine needles ...
chainsaw.jpg

So they basically charge $10 per linear food for the SS micro mesh gutter guard installed. This is whether a ripoff gutter guard company or a roofing company does it.

Back