Gun Rights here in Illinois...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owe my fellow BITOG memebers an apology for a recent rant in the SUPER BOWL topic over Tank Johnson, I'm SORRY! Here is how the media city and media view Gun Rights, it depends on who you are...

Chicago City Official Found with Handgun
Written by Mike Kinsey
Thursday, 18 January 2007

Unfortunately for average citizens of Chicago, the possession of handguns has basically been banned since the early 1980’s. However, if you live in the Windy City and would like to own one for personal protection or target shooting, there is an avenue available to you: Become a City Alderman!

Apparently, these Chicago officials are part of an elite ruling class that can exercise their innate and (supposedly) protected right to keep and bear arms while forbidding you to do so. I was not aware of this discriminatory and despicable policy until I read an article from The Chicago Tribune reporting on a criminal raid of Chicago Alderman Arenda Troutman that resulted in the discovery of her legal .357 revolver.

Believe it or not, but this blatant hypocrisy is not what upset me most about this story. Sam Adam Jr., Troutman’s lawyer, defended his client’s need for owning and carrying a concealed handgun: Adam said Troutman needed protection in the economically depressed area where she lives and serves. Her home has been broken into in the past…

"She didn't go up to the North Shore to run, or to the southwest suburbs among the affluent to make things better," he said. "She's right there in the 'hood." No kidding? She felt the need to carry a handgun for personal protection? I bet she is not the only one out of millions of Chicago residents that live in one of our nation’s most crime-ridden cities.

So… will the criminal raid affect her political future? Troutman said Thursday the charges do not deter her from running for another term in the Feb. 27 election, but opponent Willie B. Cochran called on her to resign Friday.

I understand her hesitation about becoming a lowly commoner now that she is used to a lifestyle befitting a privileged ruler. She would be forced to relinquish her special permission to defend herself and have to try and survive like everyone else on the dangerous streets of Chicago.

--------------------------------------------------------------

FBI log: Troutman raids turned up 'suspect' drugs, gun

By Jeff Coen
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 12, 2007, 8:18 PM CST

Federal documents made public Friday show the scope of the investigation into Chicago Ald. Arenda Troutman and indicate the FBI may not be done looking into her connections to street gangs.

Evidence logs from searches of Troutman's home and office on Monday also show that agents allegedly found suspected drugs, drug paraphernalia and a handgun.

Earlier this week, authorities charged Troutman with accepting a bribe to smooth the way for a mixed-use development on the South Side. Troutman has denied the accusations.

The documents show some of the suspected drugs were recovered in Troutman's home in the 6500 block of South Kimbark Avenue, where the revolver also was found. A "white powdery substance in Ziploc plastic bag" was found in her office at 5958 S. State St., the documents state, noting it was found in a desk drawer.

FBI spokesman Ross Rice said laboratory testing of the substances was not complete.

Troutman's lawyer, Sam Adam Jr., said he believes that testing will show the powder was a vitamin supplement.

"Anybody who knows anything about Arenda Troutman can tell you she is a health freak," Adam said. "She hasn't eaten meat in years; she's a vegetarian.

"Arenda Troutman does not do drugs," he said. "We need to wait until these lab tests come back and see what we're talking about here."

Troutman, the 20th Ward alderman, has been under law enforcement scrutiny in the past for her association with Donnell "Scandalous" Jehan, an alleged Black Disciples gang leader who has fled to avoid drug conspiracy charges.

Agents were to seize "records and documents of press releases issued by Arenda Troutman, her aldermanic office, her committeeman office, her campaign committees or her employees regarding law-enforcement issues and street-gang activity."

Aldermen are an exception to Chicago's ban on handguns, and Adam said he believes Troutman's gun was lawfully owned and kept.

Adam said Troutman needed protection in the economically depressed area where she lives and serves. Her home has been broken into in the past, and the gun was registered to a private detective who left it for her, Adam said.

"She didn't go up to the North Shore to run, or to the southwest suburbs among the affluent to make things better," he said. "She's right there in the 'hood."

Troutman said Thursday the charges do not deter her from running for another term in the Feb. 27 election, but opponent Willie B. Cochran called on her to resign Friday.

The search warrants in the Troutman case included lists of items to be seized. Included were bank records, lists and receipts; income and expense summaries; cash disbursement journals, and other financial information. Also listed were computer equipment and documents.

[email protected]

Sounds like a Chicago problem, not an IL problem.

We certainly don't have this sort of insanity down state.

Why not just leave Chicago?

Reminds me of when Rosie O blind sided Tom Selleck. She is VERY anti-gun but it was later revealed that her body guards are armed. She stated she needed protection. Interesting that the wealthy elite require "rights" that they don't want to grant the rest of the populace. Makes me #$%* furious!!!

Same with Diane Feinstein in California. She is very anti-gun (for everyone else), but yet she has a permit to carry a concealed pistol in a state in which that is almost impossible to obtain. I think she drives an evil SUV as well. Typical leftist elitists.

And I bet the sponsor of the "Crime Bill", Ol' Slick Willy himself, doesn't mandate that the FREE FOR LIFE secret service protection teams only carry 10 round magazines either.

Same down here.

Kerry Packer's newspapers were very anti-gun.

He had a pistol stolen from his office.

Apparently it was "legal" (even 'though there is no provision for personal protection in our firearms laws, and storage in a desk drawer would get me 2 years in Jail).

Yeah, it's funny how an alderman is allowed to carry a gun for protection, but regular citizens apparently don't need any protection. Daley's anti-gun ideas are so out of sync with the real world it amazes me how he gets away with it. Over 90% of the rest of the states have adopted some form of handgun carrying law, and the crime rates have gone down in almost all cases. He just doesn't get it that law-abiding citizens are not a threat or problem when allowed to own handguns. He has even convinced some neighboring suburbs to pass laws preventing gunshops in those towns from doing business with someone who has a Chicago address. But I doubt if anything will change in Chicago until he is gone.

Quote:

Sounds like a Chicago problem, not an IL problem.

We certainly don't have this sort of insanity down state.

Why not just leave Chicago?

What part of "down state" do you live in, where your right to own/carry a handgun is legal..

By the way if you live in Wilmette you will be charge for using a handgun to protect your home. the below press release tells what happen with the same crook came bac a second time to the same house, and hit the same block when he was released.

Burglar arrested days after release
Advertisement

By Dan Gibbard
Tribune staff reporter

September 7, 2006

A burglar who was shot by a Wilmette homeowner during a 2003 break-in, which set off a national debate over local gun laws, was arrested Tuesday and accused of robbing a house in the same neighborhood.

Morio Billings, 34, of the 7500 block of South Sangamon Street, Chicago, is accused of a burglary Friday of a Wilmette home in the 800 block of Michigan Avenue, stealing a purse, keys and a 2004 Volvo parked in the driveway, police said. Billings was arrested 11 days after his release from prison for the 2003 burglary.

Through a stolen credit card and an anonymous tip, police traced Billings to Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood, where Chicago police arrested him, Wilmette Deputy Chief Brian King said.

He is being held in Wilmette pending a bond hearing Thursday at the Skokie courthouse, King said.

In December 2003, Billings burglarized a Wilmette house in the first block of Linden Avenue on consecutive nights. The second time, he was shot by homeowner Hale DeMar.

Though DeMar was never charged for shooting Billings, the village cited him for violating a ban on handguns, which carried a fine up to $750.

That set off protests from gun-rights advocates, who argued that DeMar's two handguns had protected his family from Billings.

Billings, who has a long record of convictions, was sentenced to 7 years for breaking into DeMar's home but was released Aug. 25 after serving 2 years and 8 months, King said.

DeMar could not be reached for comment.

IL doesn't have concealed carry, but I don't think there are state laws against owning handguns.

I live in St. Clair county, grew up in Jersey County. Been around guns my whole life. You can't carry a loaded, concealed handgun around. But currently, the law still allows ownership of handguns, and places some restrictions on how my must be transported.

This is quite common among the politically correct liberal elitists. I remember reading about two of them who were both nationally syndicated newspaper columnists who often wrote anti-handgun editorials. Each was arrested and convicted for carrying a concealed handgun without a permit. The defense of each was that they needed it for personal protection, a reason each of them often argued against for carrying a concealed weapon. Just another example of the double standard by which the rich, powerful, and famous have two sets of rules, one for themselves, and one for the rest of us peons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back