Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner succes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do a lot of very short trips and my fuel economy and the responsiveness of my 2010 Honda Fit has been declining.

There was a sale on Gumout (Sopus/Shell) fuel additives and was just planning on getting Gumout Regane High Mileage as all these additives were half price at Canadian Tire.

So, at half price, I'd figure I'd try out their other products as well to see what is snake oil and what works in the Gumout line.

So I figured if I went and added Regane HM I might clog a spark plug gap or something so I decided to start small and use Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner first, and to be able to see if it has any effect on a short tripper engine.

Well, I was driving on the highway and very soon after adding it to an empty gas tank and filling up with 87 at Shell, I noticed the responsiveness of the car picking up. We are talking in just 15 kms.

So I keep every receipt from Shell with the mileage of the tank of gas written on the back with the "L/100km" fuel consumption. Then when I fill up I always reset the trip odometer which clears the "L/100"km meter at the same time automatically.

So next time I go to fill up I plan on comparing to all my other bills to see if it cleaned the injectors enough to make the spray finer again to increase MPG, and have better cold starts and responsiveness.

So far I think it is actually doing some cleaning of the injectors as they claim, I'm really surprised as I only expect good results from Regane or Red Line fuel system cleaners.

Maybe the fuel injector cleaner has a bit of PEA in it like Regane just not as much would be my guess.

Then, after driving for a couple of tanks of fuel and adding nothing, my next thing I want to try is one bottle of Gumout Gas Treatment and see if it lowers my fuel consumption for that tank as well.

Then in early Spring I plan to finish off a half bottle of Red Line Complete 2 tanks before changing my oil to get rid of it as it is about 1 year old and don't know if it will go bad as it is opened but capped tightly and stored indoors. Anyone know if I should just toss it and use a bottle of Gumout Regane HM instead? I only paid 7$ for the Regane.

So just to say it again, I think the Gumout Fuel Injector cleaner ISN'T snake oil at all, but an excellent product that may just be a small dose of PEA.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I do a lot of very short trips and my fuel economy and the responsiveness of my 2010 Honda Fit has been declining.

There was a sale on Gumout (Sopus/Shell) fuel additives and was just planning on getting Gumout Regane High Mileage as all these additives were half price at Canadian Tire.

So, at half price, I'd figure I'd try out their other products as well to see what is snake oil and what works in the Gumout line.

So I figured if I went and added Regane HM I might clog a spark plug gap or something so I decided to start small and use Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner first, and to be able to see if it has any effect on a short tripper engine.

Well, I was driving on the highway and very soon after adding it to an empty gas tank and filling up with 87 at Shell, I noticed the responsiveness of the car picking up. We are talking in just 15 kms.

So I keep every receipt from Shell with the mileage of the tank of gas written on the back with the "L/100km" fuel consumption. Then when I fill up I always reset the trip odometer which clears the "L/100"km meter at the same time automatically.

So next time I go to fill up I plan on comparing to all my other bills to see if it cleaned the injectors enough to make the spray finer again to increase MPG, and have better cold starts and responsiveness.

So far I think it is actually doing some cleaning of the injectors as they claim, I'm really surprised as I only expect good results from Regane or Red Line fuel system cleaners.

Maybe the fuel injector cleaner has a bit of PEA in it like Regane just not as much would be my guess.

Then, after driving for a couple of tanks of fuel and adding nothing, my next thing I want to try is one bottle of Gumout Gas Treatment and see if it lowers my fuel consumption for that tank as well.

Then in early Spring I plan to finish off a half bottle of Red Line Complete 2 tanks before changing my oil to get rid of it as it is about 1 year old and don't know if it will go bad as it is opened but capped tightly and stored indoors. Anyone know if I should just toss it and use a bottle of Gumout Regane HM instead? I only paid 7$ for the Regane.

So just to say it again, I think the Gumout Fuel Injector cleaner ISN'T snake oil at all, but an excellent product that may just be a small dose of PEA.

There is another thread on Gumout running which you might want to join. Fuel additives are not all snake oils, although they are not needed if you use good quality fuel, but if you are unlucky and gum up injectors the direct feed cleaners are more effective than those put in the tank. It's best to stick to major brand fuel additives if possible.
What do you mean by responsiveness?? because that might not be an injector issue.

I believe in fuel additives (just finished off a tank with Gumout All-In-One), but benefits after 15 km seems a bit quick. That's, what, about 1 liter of fuel? And how much of that was what was already sitting in the fuel lines? Plus, if it contains PEA, it's best to make short trips and let it sit, which is when the PEA does a lion's share of its work.

This my be a perfect example of a placebo affect.

NMBurb02, and I am a highly skeptical person, and am fully BITOGER aware of the "Butt Dino" so I am cautiously optimistic.

But, the injectors cycle so many times per minute that could be possible that it helped return a nozzle to a finer spray but I'll just have to flat out agree with you for now.

At the end of this tank, for the driving I do (short trips under 1km in cold weather) if I see 8-9L / 100 km on the fuel consumption meter in my Fit (verified by manual calcs to be pretty accurate) I'll be willing to say this stuff is worth 3$ on sale.

I really do have my fingers crossed as I don't like doing full PEA treatments at any time other than before an oil change as I have read that it reduces the oil's flash point the way fuel dilution does.

I feel more comfortable just using an injector cleaner instead, and if this restores a bit of lost nozzle efficiency it pays for itself in that same tank of fuel as we have 1.35$ / L gas right now (5.12$ US Gal.)

I'll be sure to post the outcome as my interest has piqued.

The best value for money PEA cleaner is Gumout all in one complete.

Be confident using these at the stated dosage levels and not necessarily just before an oil change, although its preferable.

If you think things are really bad, then dose conservatively. In the original Chevron study, 2 older vehicles failed due to the cleaning. So a fuel filter change might be prudent right after the treatment.

Shock treatments are not required. Maintenance dosing is the ideal treatment (once clean). Or use top tier or Costco clean power.

The Walmart service is also a good idea to get to all of the intake as is a TB clean.

Originally Posted By: FoxS

Be confident using these at the stated dosage levels and not necessarily just before an oil change, although its preferable.

If you think things are really bad, then dose conservatively. In the original Chevron study, 2 older vehicles failed due to the cleaning. So a fuel filter change might be prudent right after the treatment.

Shock treatments are not required. Maintenance dosing is the ideal treatment (once clean). Or use top tier or Costco clean power.

The Walmart service is also a good idea to get to all of the intake as is a TB clean.

If you are doing the occasional UOA it's easy to see if the fuel injection system is working correctly because the fuel contamination figure should be below 0.5% which is the minimum detectable level for Blackstones. Some old big blocks do show a few percent as normal and if you get stuck in traffic one percent is OK, but after that level it is worth thinking about a major brand fuel injector cleaner. The folks in my area don't use in tank additives too often as the fuel quality is good, but some do use direct feed injection cleaner prior to the emissions test.
If you have a diesel be careful about fuel system cleaners that are put in the tank, because if you are not using good fuel or the tank was real dirty it can cause fairly quick blockage of the fuel filter.

Wow.

You and MarkStock have a lot in common.
Originally Posted By: MarkStock
All In One Complete doesn't say Regane but has the same concentration of PEA. Ends up being better value for money.

Nice job of rephrasing Mark.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Wow.

All In One Complete doesn't say Regane but has the same concentration of PEA. Ends up being better value for money.

I caught him a few times myself. LOL I wonder if anyone else has?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Trav
Wow.

I caught him a few times myself. LOL I wonder if anyone else has?

Yep. It's surprising the mods haven't caught on yet.
I'm not sure I'm ready to say glad to have you back mark,time will tell

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Clevy, I'm back from my vacation and I can't tell.. Are you happy to have ME back?
smile.gif

I am happy to BE back, and I like your posts, and you as a poster! (If there was any question lol)
10.gif

303693_447019408697944_1247675500_n_zps8731ca60.jpg

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Clevy, I'm back from my vacation and I can't tell.. Are you happy to have ME back?
smile.gif

I am happy to BE back, and I like your posts, and you as a poster! (If there was any question lol)
10.gif

303693_447019408697944_1247675500_n_zps8731ca60.jpg

Ya. I'm down for tipping one back with ya

So I am looking over my mileage, and I am around 8.5L/100km for heavy short tripping in very cold weather.

Before using Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner I was around 10.5L/100km so I am guessing that I had a poorly spraying injector and made all their misting finer for more efficient and thorough combustion.

I will see if the next tank, with no FI cleaner added or anything if the 8.5L/100km stays or if it goes back up to around 10.5L/100km signifying that it is just the cleaner itself that is giving the fuel a boost (doubtful).

So far I am very happy with Gumout products and plan to buy more in the future.

So the results are in, cleaning the injectors saved 2L/100km.

Got it on sale so handily paid for itself on the same tank of fuel it was used on by a wide margin.

This tank of fuel I am running now I added nothing. So if I get 9L/100km or thereabouts for my short trips in cold weather I will be a happy camper.

So when your consumption drops from 11L/100km to 9L/100km, what kind of percentage improvement are we talking about? I don't get why Canada and Europe uses the inverse units. Does single digit km/ltr make everybody uncomfortable?

Liter per hour for a fixed application engine makes sense but for a motorized appliance, liters per 100km is pretty stupid way of measuring efficiency. How did it become the de facto standard in the non-USA world?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
So when your consumption drops from 11L/100km to 9L/100km, what kind of percentage improvement are we talking about? I don't get why Canada and Europe uses the inverse units. Does single digit km/ltr make everybody uncomfortable?

Liter per hour for a fixed application engine makes sense but for a motorized appliance, liters per 100km is pretty stupid way of measuring efficiency. How did it become the de facto standard in the non-USA world?

I agree. Km's per liter would be fine with me. The system is retarded. I use mpg in my truck because I don't understand the litres per 100kms thing.

Vikas, my final tally was 8.9L/100km (26.5mpg) down from a whopping 10.9L/100km (21.6 mpg)!! Roughly a 20% improvement which is massive. Note that I get almost 50mpg on the highway at 100km/hr.

I do INSANE city driving in Arctic weather conditions (Montreal) and we have pretty cruddy fuel with high ethanol content.

So my guess is my injectors were fouled, and weren't spraying a fine mist. And, maybe the combustion chambers were a bit cruddy with coked up piston heads, that it may have cleaned up slightly too. PEA?

Please note my boring driving routes don't change, and my driving is always the same. Grandmotherly.

Here's my experience, I had a 2006 Dodge Caravan which I sold last year, towards the end of it's ownership I was getting some issues with one of the fuel injectors and very rough idle. I thought it to be the computer, which I took off from the wheel well and cleaned the contacts etc., thoroughly, but not luck. Added some Gumout fuel injector cleaner to about a little more than quarter of a tank of gas and after a few miles of driving the injector seemed to fix itself and the problem never occurred. I traded in the van for a Nissan Rogue, because the indie mechanic who diagnosed it said that the computer was faulty, which turned out to be not the case, I think it was a stuck injector. Also, I think the reason for it could be that I was a regular user of tcw3 outboard oil as additive in my gas. I think that might of caused the stuck injector. I vowed now never to use any tcw3 oil as additive in my new Rogue, and only use either Gumout fuel injector cleaner or the Motomaster fuel injector cleaner that also goes on sale at CT from time to time. I usually add something to the gas tank every 5000 kms or so.

I don't think the low end Gumout fuel injector cleaner has any PEA in it. There is no "REGANE" on the label and it is so much cheaper than the all in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back