Gulfstream G550 heavy inspection and tail repair

I thought I'd post some pics with the current project. Many people don't have a concept of how these large inspections go on Gulfstream Jets.

The horizontal stabilizer had some corrosion on the lower skin. Gulfstream chose to replace the entire skin with a new and improved skin. It's about 1/4 inch thick at the root, and very, very well made. Quite a process, takes about 4 months. The rivets are drilled out, then a small, high pressure air bag is inserted and pressurized. This breaks the glue bond between the ribs and the skin. It's very time consuming, and a bit risky too, as sometimes the rib breaks instead of the glue.

The first picture is the tail going back on this week. The other pictures are of the tail in various states of re-work. Remember, these models of Gulfstream aircraft fly at 51,000 feet, so they have a LOT of wing area. Even the tail is quite large.

8CrbzOc.jpg

8quY0bH.jpg

nke9PFH.jpg
12GgkUV.jpg
5yuf3Xa.jpg
HY4yzpL.jpg
bEujNS0.jpg
nlXX2Ws.jpg

Last edited:
We are doing what's commonly called a "re-rag". Replacement of the fabrics and carpet in the interior. Amazing process. They have to build up each assembly and BURN IT. UGH. As you might expect, one of the fabric/seat assemblies did not pass the burn test, so we needed to order more fabric and double treat it. Then build up another seat assembly and burn it. That's tomorrow's task.

These are unfinished cushions without the final touches to align, pull and tuck everything. The fabrics are stupidly expensive (around $2200 per yard) and feel incredible to the touch. They are also amazingly tough, with somewhere in the neighborhood of a wear rating of 55,000 double rubs.

msSTzNg.jpg
UjM0rP8.jpg
I4couC0.jpg
JDmSWUU.jpg
UiQW7AR.jpg
3Zc5dLy.jpg
bEujNS0.jpg

Very cool. Reminds me of when I worked for Frontier Airlines. Repair that seems trivial on most things is a huge undertaking when it coms to corporate jets and commercial aviation.

Here is the new lower horizontal stabilizer skin as various brackets and reinforcements are being transferred from the old skin. It's an amazingly time consuming process and there is no tolerance for mistakes. One improperly drilled hole and the entire thing is scrap.

Of course, I had to include a picture of my Cessna.. It's a bit of a let-down compared to professional flying equipment.

And why not include the view from FL510 ....

jbfXbpI.jpg

DZrPdNU.jpg

I44TTsX.jpg

E8WL1tG.jpg

3gLZiB3.jpg

Last edited:
Was that Jackie Warda's Extra? And do you have any detailed photos of the corrosion that 'skin' that made it un-airworthy? Nice looking Cardinal BTW!

Your 177 looks sweet to me. Its 100% better than no plane.

Looks like a cool place to work with lots of high dollar toys.

Was that Jackie Warda's Extra? And do you have any detailed photos of the corrosion that 'skin' that made it un-airworthy? Nice looking Cardinal BTW!

No, we purchased it new and have owned and operated it since then. There was another one, a "sister ship" with a very similar paint job. It had the same style intertwining stripes but they were reversed. It was a copy of ours.

In the pic above, you can see the skin that came off right next to the new one. It's impossible to see the corrosion, as it's under the glued down stringers. An area of corrosion and delamination about 3-5 inches long. In multiple locations. They find it with an ultrasound scan that provides a very clear picture. It's not repairable due to the nature of the construction.

Your 177 looks sweet to me. Its 100% better than no plane.

Looks like a cool place to work with lots of high dollar toys.

The 177RG is kind of underpowered. It's nice to fly, but the lack of sufficient HP really bothers me. In fact, it's so underpowered that performance is acceptable only when solo, no bags and half fuel.

I don't work there at Gulfstream, I work in a flight department. We brought our aircraft there for heavy MX.

Here is a pic of the automated ultrasonic tail scan that finds the corrosion. The device moves rapidly back and forth, and travels down the rails. Producing an internal picture that is amazingly clear.

RP5UxbI.jpg

Nice photos. This is much swankier than my 172. Regarding the seat fabric I'll bet the old stuff you remove would be a fantastic upgrade for most other airplanes.

Nice I have a friend who is an aircraft mechanic he really likes working on the smaller stuff he does lots of different varieties of repairs.

Most people don't realize the complexity of aircraft and what it takes to upgrade and to keep them airworthy.

I am curious as to the avionics suite and whether or not it contained RC avionics.

I was Controller for our corporate Aviation group for a while and we had a G450 and three mid size birds. I remember approving some big $$ PO's for work like that.

We got a nice tour of the Gulfstream plant when we ordered the 450, quite a place. Got to see the mating of the wing and fuselage.

Beautiful Cardinal, one of my favorite GA aircraft.

This is just a great thread! Thanks for taking the time to share this "inside look" at aircraft repair - esoteric and interesting stuff to be sure.

Back