Guitar players : What made you pick up the guitar?

Everything is the title. Are there any guitar players out there? What made you pick up the instrument in the first place and who are the guitar players you like the most? Also, what is your favorite gear? It looks like many of you are into the same music as i am. :)

Page, Steve Howe and Rory Gallagher. I wouldn’t consider myself a player as much as a dabbler.
Gear: I currently have a Strat HH that I play though a Positive Grid Spark. I gave my Les Paul Studio and my Taylor 314
along with a Fender and Johnson Amps to my son n law who plays at a much higher level. Needless to say, he thinks
I’m the best thing since sliced bread.

I took guitar lessons when I was in middle school. Never excelled at it. In reality, most modern music I listen to today often lacks use of a guitar. I played my Yamaha RGX A2 once this year. Made the mistake of buying a cheap Line 6 amp which I should make a Youtube video of me shooting it in my backyard. You'll be surprised how much it hurts your fingers playing a guitar until you adapt for it.

I chose the Yamaha because I learned on a Yamaha nylon string.

This chick rocks!

My gf's dad seeing The Beatles introduced to the US on the Ed Sullivan show made him learn guitar and form a band. He still plays to this day.

When I was real young my parents started me on the violin. My father's side of the family is quite musical. I picked up the violin real well. However, I would have preferred fiddle. One day at church I sat down and started playing around on one of the pianos in the cafeteria and that lead to both piano and violin lessons. My father's uncle had an accordion, I picked that up one day and figured that out pretty quick. In high school some of my friends wanted to learn guitar and one of our neighbors taught guitar so I was able to get one from a relative and started there. Other instruments I played in highschool were the trumpet and baritone.

I stopped pretty much all of them after high school. I have started picking up the guitar recently again. I have been trying to do more of a Merle Travis finger picking style.

1963 still got my ancient Gibson 12 string,,dont play it anymore,,got an Yamaha 6 string,,just play it every once in awhile,,Played folk songs mainly back in the days of Peter Paul and Mary..

I picked up the guitar 5 years ago yesterday. I had always wanted to play, my brother is a very locally accomplished bass player, but I never made an actual effort to learn. I made the decision to mentally tough it out and learn. I went to Guitar Center and bought an American Standard Strat. I went big on my first guitar thinking if it were an expensive purchase, I'd be more apt to stick with it and if it didn't work, I could get a reasonable return selling it.

As an adult learner, I was right about the mental toughness part. It's tough, probably one of the toughest things I've ever done. Sticking in your typical wheelhouse, lots of learning comes naturally through past experience. Starting to play guitar was a completely different type of challenge to anything I had ever done. I think this is a huge difference between adult learners and young learners. After I became familiar with the instrument and could muddle my way through open chord changes, I started in-person lessons that I still attend today (with a covid hiatus).

My guitar heroes are all blues musicians. Delta blues, electric blues, and British blues are what I enjoy listening to and playing. If I had to choose one that I most try to emulate and influences my "style", it'd be Freddie King.

For gear, I have the already mentioned American Standard Strat, a MIM Telecaster, two Epiphone Les Paul Standards, and a Gibson Les Paul Standard. I have owned and sold a couple acoustics over the years and am currently without one. I typically play through a Fender Mustang GT100 for sheer convenience. I also have a Fender Blues Junior and I build a Champ clone. I have a pedalboard, but don't use it with the Mustang amp (which is the convenient part), but I have an OD, a delay, a multi-effect pedal, a looper, and a tuner on it.

My Gibson LP is the most beautiful guitar I own (and remains one of the best looking LPs I've ever seen, but I may be biased), but I always reach for my Strat first. I like the neck better and I feel more comfortable on it. I have a set of Seymour Duncan single coil-sized humbuckers on it in an attempt to get it to sound like a LP. That didn't work, but it's a little fatter than a typical Strat tone.

I do really want to add an acoustic. I try to like acoustics but I always end up selling them. The body is too large, the neck isn't right, I something just makes them uncomfortable for me. I am looking at a Fender Acoustasonic. I keep picking them up and playing every time I stop by the guitar store but I haven't pulled the trigger. It has the familiar Fender neck and that's a good start for me.

Everything is the title. Are there any guitar players out there? What made you pick up the instrument in the first place and who are the guitar players you like the most? Also, what is your favorite gear? It looks like many of you are into the same music as i am. :)
Are there any guitar players out there? - Yes, I am not a pro but I am ok enough to play in local party / garage bands. I work hard at it however it does not come easy or natural for me. Until I retired a few years ago, I did not put the time in, now I try to but it is pretty late in life for me.

What made you pick up the instrument in the first place? - My dad had a couple records I listened to when I was very young (like 5 or 6). One was Bill Halley and The Comets, in particular Rock Around The Clock the other album was a collection of surf guitar instrumentals, songs like Pipeline, Walk Don't Run, Wipeout etc. He gave me a 1963 Bobcat in the early 70's which was my first guitar.

Who are the guitar players you like the most? - There are so many and from many genres. I'll keep it brief. The question is who do I "like" the best not who I think is the best guitarist, the difference is subtle but important although there may be alignment in many cases. My #1 guy is Mick Ronson. His talent and sound were incredible to me. #2 is David Gilmour. The remaining follow in no particular order: Mick Taylor, SRV and Hendrix... but there are literally hundreds I could list whom I really like.

Also, what is your favorite gear? - I have a mid 80's Strat that is my personal favorite. I have fiddled a bit with pickups, currently I have the Fender "Noiseless" installed and have more or less settled on those. I am just discovering that I prefer heavier strings, for years I played light strings on this guitar. I use Ernie Ball strings mostly, D'Addario next. It has a System 1 trem that I have hard-tailed. My #2 guitar is a Gibson LP Classic. I have fiddled with those pickups as well over the years and settled on "Dirty Fingers". Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings. Main amp is a Mesa Boogie TA30 and I either play on a Mesa 12" single cabinet or for parties I have a 4x10 cab. I have 2 other amps, a Fender Deville combo for loud practicing and a small 5w Hughes and Kettner for quiet noodling. Effects are just a simple Boss GT100 which I love. I know it is digital but I am not good enough to make a difference with analog pedals.

I bought my first electric guitar(used) as a cash-strapped college student. Always a fan of rock music and electric guitar always my favorite instrument. Took lessons for a while, then self-taught. I like a lot of players, favorite is probably Blackmore, love almost all of his recorded stuff but I don't think he's the best live. Santana is great, SRV(saw twice), Page,others as well.
I have a couple Fender amps,and a Marshall, all tube amps and a little Yamaha practice amp in my office. For guitars, one Takamine acoustic and several electrics: Gibson LP Classic Goldtop, 4 Epiphone LPs, Agile LP copy, Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Fender MIJ Strat and a G&L Superhawk from the mid 80s.
I play for fun/stress relief mainly.

Back