Guessing these tires are done..

Bridgestone Dueler's on the front of our RV, only a couple years old and around 10k. Replaced a wheel bearing first thing this year and didn't think to get it aligned. Put 6-7k on it in that condition. Still wants to pull a little to the left after alignment but the shop didn't find anything else wrong so I'm guessing these tires are the cause. Having a internal debate, part of me wants to just go ahead and replace the other half just wants to ride them out till next year to see if they straighten up some. Have 4-5 more trips 1-2k miles left this year, next year hoping to do Alaska 10k+miles. They're noisy and only shakes a little in corners.
IMG_6685.JPG

I haven't heard of it in years, but back in the day good tire shops would have a trueing machine that would shave the tread down to get rid of any high spots and even out the tread. They were used a lot on retreaded tires to even them up. You would lose some rubber but the tread would be completely round and true afterwards. Tire manufacturing technology has improved so much and no one but truckers use retreads anymore so they probably aren't used anymore.

You can get them shaved down, annoyingly(since I have an AWD car) that service pretty rare to find these days. Typically going to be limited to shops that sell heavily to people who race or places that sell truck tires. I’d bite the bullet and replace if you’re going to do so anyways prior to the big trip. You can call around and see if people will do shaving though.

I'd try rotating the two fronts to rear. That should get you some rubber up front that isn't as likely to have a bad wear pattern. In some cases I've seen that also changes the wear pattern of the ones that were on front. If the tires that are on the rear don't have any abnormal wear pattern now and you put them on the front and it still pulls left it's probably an alignment issue regardless of what the shop is telling you. Some shops do great alignments and others just do a half a-- job and call it good. Some of my cars the only front end adjustment is toe in and I can often do a better job at home of adjusting it than what I'd get if I paid someone to do an alignment. I put new tires on one of my cars about 11K miles ago and adjusted the toe in myself then on the same car replaced ball joints/tie rod ends a few months ago and reset toe in and the tires are wearing perfect with no pulling left or right.

No tire shavers that I can find in KC, if I had one local I might go that route. I'm not doubting the alignment place they aligned it 8 years ago and it's been good till this year. As far as putting them on the rear I've debated on it. The last time I tried rotating it didn't go over well, some of the rims are in better condition that others. Also these are a different tread pattern, I do have tire equalizers on the back so that might be a mute issue. Burn out in a Class C is that even possible.. the driveshaft would probably launch into outer space!

Not sure if it is worth the expense over just getting new tires though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Youtube's a rabbit hole to go down... Example

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote to rotate left to right for now to see what happens and replace before the Alaska trip. Good spares for the trip if you're in a rural area and need a tire to have put on a rim.

When I had it aligned they switched the tires side to side.. I think it's hard to tell. I've put about 1k on it since the alignment and really can't tell if it's got any better.. but it took 4-5k to create it so might take a while longer. I might switch them around in another thousand. Nick good idea and actually thought of that, the 2 spares are Primewells from 16-18 and one is out of round. Only 4 planned trips left for the year so haven't decided, every stinking vehicle we have shakes/vibrates so getting used to it (I'm tire cursed).

May want to consider a couple of extra spare tires without wheels in addition to your spare tire/wheel assembly for that trip to Alaska. So you're not trying to buy a tire in your size in the middle of nature.

May want to consider a couple of extra spare tires without wheels in addition to your spare tire/wheel assembly for that trip to Alaska. So you're not trying to buy a tire in your size in the middle of nature.
True but with two spares already don't have the room. LT 225/75/16 should be fairly easy to find, more expensive but should be able to get them.

Reactions: 555
Back