GTX separation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my oil and used GTX High-Milage for the first time..and nothing left over in the bottom of the bottle.
confused.gif

That's too bad you guys are finding this funny stuff...I still consider GTX to be an awesome oil anyway.
Although, I'll be watching....

timzak, I would say that if you find stuff like these guys have been finding in the bottom of an oil bottle, toss that bottle of oil. It is not worth the risk to your engine, which costs a whole lot more than that bottle of oil. Or else us that bottle of oil in a lawnmower, or something.

I have never seen a bottle of oil that had directions on it to 'Shake the bottle before using the oil.'

I just changed my oil today with GTX High Mileage 10W-30 and noticed nothing in the bottom of the bottles. GTX is still my favorite oil and unless I notice something weird I am going to stick with it.

Pitch it!? That covers the entire spectrum, since search isn't turning up what I'm looking for, there was an old thread somewhere here that talked about stuff precipitating out of the oil and settling on the bottom of the bottle. The most extreme susggestion in that old thread was to shake the bottle first, to ignore it. =-)

Alex.

I would remind everyone reading this thread, during January 2007, that the 1st 25 posts are from 2003.
smile.gif

Well there's still some GC from 2002 out there in the marketplace - just seen a post on it today. So perhaps some 2002-2003 Castrol GTX with particles still exists in the low volume, Ma & Pa auto or grocery stores out in the boondocks of this fine country.

Quote:

Well there's still some GC from 2002 out there in the marketplace - just seen a post on it today. So perhaps some 2002-2003 Castrol GTX with particles still exists in the low volume, Ma & Pa auto or grocery stores out in the boondocks of this fine country.

The chances of finding 2002-2003 GC are greater than finding 2002-2003 GTX though, since GC is an odd viscosity that not a lot of cars use.

Patman.... in my local auto zone, i found...

Castrol Syntec 0w-30... from 2001!!! I don't even know if that stuff would even be GREEN German Castrol.

I kid you not. It was all the way in the back. Apparently, AZ fills the shelves from the front, pushing the oldest stuff to the back.

Quote:

Castrol Syntec 0w-30... from 2001!!! I don't even know if that stuff would even be GREEN German Castrol.

No, that would be pre-GC...it likely states "Made in the United States" on the rear label. The "Made in Germany" Syntec 0W-30 started in 2002 according to the GC FAQ.

This has been common in GTX for a long time. I am no chemist so I can't say it is a bad thing but I personally think their advertising is much beter than their oil. I'd take Havoline over GTX any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back