GS350 F Sport - Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Pilot Sport 4S

2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport - will need new rubber before too long...
The new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 are $240 front and $280 rear with a 540 tire wear.
The Pilot Sport 4S, which I now have, are $307 and $355 with a 300 tire wear.
These are Tire Rack prices...

The GS has 85K. We use this car all the time. In Silicon Valley, the weather is, of course, wonderful.
I probably have 30K on the 4S right now... Love these tires.

Your thoughts? I will keep this car until it rusts to pieces. And there is no rust around here...
Thanks in advance!

Despite no snow in your area, I'd recommend taking a look at Goodyear Assurance AT's. As much as I do love my Vaderstein's the next shoes for my Outback will be GY Assurance.

To actually address your question, I also say Sport 4S.

4S all the way.

Fun fact. Tried A/S3 and PSS on my car. The PSS actually lasted longer because the A/S3 did not have enough grip to keep the wheels from spinning. This was on my 135i that only had the factory performance tune at the time, so was only running 330 lb.ft then. The PSS also rode smoother and more comfortable. The 4S is an improvement over the PSS in every way.

Another vote for Pilot Sport 4S or Pilot Sport 4 if available in size of question. The Pilot Sport 4
isn't actually much of a downgrade, most won't even notice the difference and they both look
virtually the same. Awesome tires anyway.

Fyi.. If this vehicle has a staggered setup Michelin will typically cut the mileage warranty in half because the tires can't be rotated.

In your area it's probably a toss up. The PS4 are nice but do you "use" what the tire can provide? That's what I would ask myself and then go from there.

I have A/S 3+ on my 4-series but I chose them because I have a bias towards traction in the wet and my S001 (Continental) made me nervous. Obviously your situation is much different. At the time the A/S 3+ was the only tire Michelin sold in my size so I actually may have considered the a PS tire because I liked the PS2 I had a previous BMW.

I would be surprised if PS4S does not provide better wet performance than PSAS4.
There is price to be paid for some snow traction.

Krzyś

PS I vote for 4S in your case.

Somebody loan a poor boy a dime for this stupid expensive rubber...
Agter installation, alignment and air, I'm busted! Remember, gas ain't cheap in sunny CA.

Somebody loan a poor boy a dime for this stupid expensive rubber...
Agter installation, alignment and air, I'm busted! Remember, gas ain't cheap in sunny CA.

Yes the size and cost of tires on most cars is unnecessarily silly and borderline stupid. How often are you going to push that car to the envelope? While I get that the stiffer tires will handle better and be part of the OE approach to get handling a certain way, the fringes of performance may not be worth it.

Unfortunately the automakers and consumers make the bed they lie in.

Most would be just fine off with a 215/55-15 or 225/45-17ish size tire, and most cars would be fine with less, if that was a design parameter that was considered.

kinda of a fan of these.
Definitely agree as it's the only tire I intend to buy... factory tires were a Continental UHP summer tire that I barely got 22K miles out of. New set was the DWS06 and those things easily equaled the factory tires, got 45K miles out of them and at a very reasonable price. Got my current set of the same about 1.5 yrs ago and still an excellent performing/wearing tire. Look great on the car too FWIW.

Back