Group V Cleaning

2018 Silverado 3500 with 6.0L gasser. 99k miles.

So the past 6-7 oil changes I've been running 4 quarts of M1 5w30EP + 2 Quarts M1 M1 Racing 0W50. The added AW agents was my biggest reason for running 2 Quarts of the 0W50 with the towing I've been doing lately.

So at 99k miles, I'm thinking of running a few OCI's of Redline to address any cleaning and varnish that might be building up. I've been running 5K miles between oil changes. How many times do you think I will need to run Redline to maximize varnish elimination?

I'm starting today.....
PXL_20220817_155225363.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobil 1 has some good cleaning power too so I'm not sure what you'd gain even when using the higher ester Red Line oil. You could give a shot but the HPL product is specifically designed for that.

Agree with edyvw on the M1 0w40.
Redline will have higher oxidation. Looking at UOA’s on BMW forums their additive package is sometimes not consistent.

Isn't Kreen the defacto recommended engine cleaner here? At least it was when I first got here 10 years ago and tried it in an '07 6.0 to free up tick noise from what I assume was sticky lifters.

people toss money at exotic oils, searching for cleaning power.
but why, when flushes exist specifically made for that purpose.

people toss money at exotic oils, searching for cleaning power.
but why, when flushes exist specifically made for that purpose.
I'd rather avoid using a flush and just use a good oil in the first place that has inherent cleaning ability to avoid having to try and clean-up what has been left behind from inferior products.

Flush products are a bit of a gamble, you don't know how effective they are going to be, how well they are going to get into areas with the potential for existing deposit formation, like the ring lands, and actually do any real work. On the other hand, just keeping those areas clean in the first place has a far greater probability for success.

After briefly looking at HPL's site ... which oil would you recommend I run in my truck?
I would ask HPL that directly. Read through the thread I linked. Wayne is running it. I’ve got the Euro in one of my Volvos (about to swap out the R to HPL) but for your needs the regular passenger car would be my choice.

I haven't had the valve covers off yet.... so imagined. LOL!!

Well, I get you! But if your using sound OCI practices for your engine I bet you are a-ok. Same thought line, I am looking forward to 200k (I'm at about 118k) on 3.6 Subaru Outback so I can get the covers off and see what my "damage" is. 🪖

Well, I get you! But if your using sound OCI practices for your engine I bet you are a-ok. Same thought line, I am looking forward to 200k (I'm at about 118k) on 3.6 Subaru Outback so I can get the covers off and see what my "damage" is. 🪖
Won’t be any “damage”. The 3.6, while inefficient since the underlying design is a dinosaur (to its credit! 🤣) and very sturdy. If you’re doing the 6k changes or less, even with a “recommended” conventional 5W30, it will be just fine.

I have the premium plus in my truck now. Dave says its a lot of PAO, and i don't need it in my climate. He said i am wasting money using it over the passenger car oil in my climate. I may go with the SuperCar next go round.
I didn't see SuperCar.... I assume that's > Premium Plus?

Back