Group 3 vs group 4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear fellows.
Why group 3 base engine oils giving far better UOA than Group 4/5 base oils?
dunno.gif

"far better" ???

I don't think so.

Depends on vehicle, driving habits, engine design, etc. Too many variables at play to just place a blanket statement on things.

Personally, my cars have great UOA's on all oils, so there's no margin of difference between Group II, III or IV.

Given proper OCIs and normal street driving conditions, I do not believe that you will see a difference in "wear" numbers between dino, group III and group IV/V.

quote:

Most people seem to have a bigger problem with the price of GIII as opposed to the performance.

Exactly!
Valvoline Synpower & American Castrol Syntec are price gouger oils. Pennzoil finally got smart & now offer a nice product at a fair price with the Platinum.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Most people seem to have a bigger problem with the price of GIII as opposed to the performance.

I agree, GM, and as Johnny pointed out, in a recent thread, a fully hydro-cracked, 130+ VI Grp III base oil synthetic, is not a cheap oil to blend!

Especially for Valvoline & Castrol, who must buy the Grp III base oil & all the additives on the open market.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
With most Toyotas, you can use group 1 and still reach 250K
grin.gif
...lol

I doubt any toyota motor would make it past 100k on group 1 oil.

i dunno about a toyota on group 1 not making 100k miles... in northern africa i have seen toyota trucks make 100k on 25k (if then) oil changes in the 1970's. mostly 20r/22r series engines along with a few b series in corollas.

I do seem to find the same thing. Infact after playing with all the different oils, my favorite went from Amsoil/Mobil1 to Synpower and recently to Havoline.

Toyotas will run on anything you throw at it. and even if it doesn't make it to 100k miles, the cost would always allow you to buy a second one.

I do seem to find the same thing. Infact after playing with all the different oils, my favorite went from Amsoil/Mobil1 to Synpower and recently to Havoline.

Toyotas will run on anything you throw at it. and even if it doesn't make it to 100k miles, the cost would always allow you to buy a second one.

So far as i can tell Toyota are also prone to sludging:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sludge

Saab 9-5 owners have begun compiling UOAs and Group III Rotella T Synth seems no better than group IV T&SUV seems no better than the group II Castrol Tection Extra I used. This is w/ a small sample, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back