gtl engine oils

what brand other than pennzoil (shell) uses gtl base stocks as a base oil for pcmo engines in various weights and or blended with group 4&5 stock ?

Hard to tell because Shell is the only one who advertises GTL but GTL oils are used throughout the market. GTL is typically notated as Gr3/Gr3+ and can have characters which are similar to PAO so it would probably be blended with Gr5 (AN/Esters) to balance the negative characteristics of PAO/GTL3+

I want to say someone said that Mobil1‘s new triple action formula has GTL bases stocks in it that Mobil1 was purchasing from Pennzoil. But I’m not sure.

Rumors is sometimes Quaker State may have some in it, and I have heard some Mobil 1 flavors have some.

I have never seen anything saying specifically it is used in anything besides Pennzoil, but I am not really looking since I don't really care, just stuff I have seen posted here from time to time.

I checked the Quaker State oils (Quaker State and Pennzoil are owned by the same company), didn't see Gas to Liquid quoted anywhere on the Quaker State oils.

I used to use Pennzoil GTL oils for all my vehicles. Seemed to work well in my Honda J35 with VCM enabled engines.
I recently switched to SuperTech due to ST's stronger additive package with a lot more anti-wear (phosphorous and zinc), and detergent (Calcium) additives.

I think all full synthetic oils will have equal results in today's engines, so I buy whichever one has a strong anti-wear and detergent additive package.

I think all full synthetic oils will have equal results in today's engines, so I buy whichever one has a strong anti-wear and detergent additive package.
I think you kinda backed into a partially correct answer, but then you backed away from it by your last statement.

When discussing certifications and especially Euro specifications, thorough standards set a “floor” for performance. Yes, there will still be differences between oils, but if they’re all meeting the same minimum test requirements, there may not be enough of a difference between two oils for it to be statistically significant (it’s just measurement noise). However, if the tests were run to failure, you would likely start to see the actual differences between oils.

It’s been covered here many times: if you use an oil that meets your manufacturers recommendations, and change it at their recommended frequency, with a sample size of 1 (your vehicle), you will have a really, really hard time to ever claim a given oil is better than any other. 👍🏻

the thread started by a friendly discussion with a mechanic i know,says that shell gtl is a marketing thing and all oil bases are same as just looking to further my education on this matter,it does seem reading past posts by molukule there is a difference in this type of bases and blending of other bases,,looking for current brands that support gtl oils,,lots to learn if possible,,,thanks all,, brian

the thread started by a friendly discussion with a mechanic i know,says that shell gtl is a marketing thing and all oil bases are same as just looking to further my education on this matter,it does seem reading past posts by molukule there is a difference in this type of bases and blending of other bases,,looking for current brands that support gtl oils,,lots to learn if possible,,,thanks all,, brian
Mechanics are often one of the worst sources for oil information. 😳

I checked the Quaker State oils (Quaker State and Pennzoil are owned by the same company), didn't see Gas to Liquid quoted anywhere on the Quaker State oils.

I used to use Pennzoil GTL oils for all my vehicles. Seemed to work well in my Honda J35 with VCM enabled engines.
I recently switched to SuperTech due to ST's stronger additive package with a lot more anti-wear (phosphorous and zinc), and detergent (Calcium) additives.

If you look at the SDS for Quaker State you’ll see GTLs used, and the QS Euro for example is almost entirely GTL base.

Definitely a difference. Group III base stocks have a better viscosity index and lower saturates than Group I or II. GTL products are especially desirable here and require less intensive hydrocracking to achieve this.

I think you kinda backed into a partially correct answer, but then you backed away from it by your last statement.

When discussing certifications and especially Euro specifications, thorough standards set a “floor” for performance. Yes, there will still be differences between oils, but if they’re all meeting the same minimum test requirements, there may not be enough of a difference between two oils for it to be statistically significant (it’s just measurement noise). However, if the tests were run to failure, you would likely start to see the actual differences between oils.

It’s been covered here many times: if you use an oil that meets your manufacturers recommendations, and change it at their recommended frequency, with a sample size of 1 (your vehicle), you will have a really, really hard time to ever claim a given oil is better than any other. 👍🏻
Correct, the Euro oil's are superior with higher HTHS and more stringent tests.
I was just referring to the oil's intended for non Euro cars in the US that meet API SP.
I was merely saying that there is very little difference between group III full synthetic oils. They are all good.
I prefer SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic oils since they have a strong anti-wear (Phosphorous and Zinc) and detergent (Calcium) additive package, and they are the lowest priced full synthetic oils.

Back